Windows 10: Making a Recovery Partition?

Discus and support Making a Recovery Partition? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Recovery Partition... The thread above reminded me... My laptop has a partition with Windows 7 on it for recovery purposes. It was a long time... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nigelmercier, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Making a Recovery Partition?

The thread above reminded me...

My laptop has a partition with Windows 7 on it for recovery purposes. It was a long time ago, but I think I created it from an ISO. I can't even remember how it should be used!

Is it possible to create the same in Windows 10?

:)

nigelmercier, Aug 13, 2015

2. Still a little confused about making a Recovery Drive vs. Hard Drive Recovery Partition

My answer was precise. I wrote "today's state". What do you run
    today? Windows 8 or Windows 10?

If you were to perform a Factory Restore then the machine would drop back to Windows 8.

Frederik Long, Aug 13, 2015
  3. agletdave Win User
    Still a little confused about making a Recovery Drive vs. Hard Drive Recovery Partition

Got it. I asked to confirm because when you make the Recovery drive, you get a message saying it successfully copied the "recovery partition". I wanted to clarify if you meant "todays state" of the operating partition or "todays state" of the recovery partition
    - which is critical! - found this MS article after I posted- (see the last paragraph bold below). (notice they don't say "restore to factory", instead they say "recover from a drive" which goes back to your old system if it has a recovery
    partition!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

If you're using a recovery drive created on Windows 10:

• Connect the recovery drive and turn on your PC.

• On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot, and then select an option. If you don’t see the
      Choose your option screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer’s website for info on how to change your PC’s boot order.

Restore from a system restore point by selecting
    Advanced Options > System Restore. This will remove recently installed apps, drivers, and updates that might be causing your PC problems, but it won’t affect your personal files.

Select Reset this PC and then choose to keep or remove your files. For info on how resetting affects your apps and settings, see the

Reset your PC
    section of this topic.

If resetting doesn’t work, you can also Recover from a drive. This will reinstall
    Windows 10 (unless your PC came with Windows 8/8.1 and a recovery partition from your PC manufacturer, in which case it'll reinstall the version of Windows that came with your PC). It'll also remove your personal files,
    apps and drivers you installed, and changes you made to settings.

agletdave, Aug 13, 2015
  4. Making a Recovery Partition?

Yep ... see Reset Recovery Image - Create in Windows 10 (TenForums.com)

Slartybart, Aug 13, 2015
  5. Kyhi Win User
    Sorry...

Windows 10 does not use a recovery image.. Or a recovery Image partition..

Windows 10 RESET feature rebuilds itself from the files in the component store..

To create Windows 10 Recovery Media = control panel > recovery > create a recovery drive...

OLD outdate tut..

6. The reason I had this was so I could rebuild the install without a DVD, I once spent three weeks on holiday with a laptop that wouldn't boot, and no recovery disk. Can I perhaps mount the ISO in the partition?

nigelmercier, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Making a Recovery Partition?

1. Making a Recovery Partition? - Similar Threads - Making Recovery Partition

2. how to make partition 4 a recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to make partition 4 a recovery partition?: I have a problem with a windows update KB5028997so I have searched it an follow the introduction from the...
  3. how to make partition 4 a recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to make partition 4 a recovery partition?: I have a problem with a windows update KB5028997so I have searched it an follow the introduction from the...
  4. how to make partition 4 a recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Recovery partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery partition: Hi, I want to see what's inside this partition.And can I format it like with the Windows 11 installation media?How can I explore this partition? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-partition/69a1d18e-cc4c-40cd-a22d-4304ded8c1ff
  6. Making a Recovery partition with a retail copy of Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Making a Recovery partition with a retail copy of Windows 10?: I did a fresh install of Windows on a a friends HP computer that already had an OEM copy of Windows. During setup, the digital license from the OEM Windows was automatically applied to the machine and activated without any problems. I would like create a bootable recovery...
  7. Making a copy for factory recovery partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Making a copy for factory recovery partition: Hello guys! I have a laptop that has a factory recovery partition. I want to have that partition safe, I am planning to do a fresh start. Could you let me know if there's an easy way to do clone / backup that recovery option to a usb stick, I do not want to lose the option...
  8. Recovery Partition

Recovery Partition: Please read through to the bottom. I have 2 questions there. This is in relation to comments on threads https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unused-11gb-recovery-partition/24a7cbbe-960a-490f-b916-e07eba32281e and...
  9. recovery partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    recovery partition: A friend asked this and I didn't have an answer, mainly because I use Macrium reflect and image the whole drive. He was playing around with an Acer Desktop and deleted the recovery partition. His only other computer is an Hp laptop. Both latest Win 10 versions. The Laptop has...
  10. Windows 10 upgrade makes huge recovery partition

Windows 10 upgrade makes huge recovery partition: Hi, My Dell venue pro 11 tablet comes with a 32gb inbuilt space with windows 8.1. Then I got the free windows 10 upgrade which went smoothly. But now the problem is after the upgrade there was very little space left in my Cdrive. The recovery partition takes up 6.5gb of...