Windows 10: Making command line programmer accessible system wide

Discus and support Making command line programmer accessible system wide in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; First of all apologies if this is posted in the incorrect place and/or has been previously answered. I recently installed Windows 10 on my laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WeirdScience06, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Making command line programmer accessible system wide

First of all apologies if this is posted in the incorrect place and/or has been previously answered.

I recently installed Windows 10 on my laptop after being a long time linux user, I'm curious to see how much it differs from Windows 7.

I regularly download ISOs/Files with their corresponding MD5/SHA1 hash for verification, after a quick search I found a command line tool from Microsoft (FCIV) which calculates MD5 and SHA which is exactly what I need.

In previous versions of Windows I would just dump the file in system32 which would make it available system wide, having never really used a 64Bit version of Windows can I just place the file in C:\windows\system32 or is there some preferred location?

:)

WeirdScience06, Aug 20, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Closing down Windows 10

Hi Paddy, you have done nothing wrong - is is simply down to bad programming on the part of the programmer who wrote the application which is stopping Windows from shutting down.

I am a software developer and always make sure my apps contain a line or two of code to handle system shutdown - it is just laziness on the part of the programmer and you pay the price . . .

if (e.CloseReason == CloseReason.WindowsShutDown)

{

// Handle System Shutdown

}

DaveM121, Aug 20, 2016
  3. No Recovery Options or Changeable favorites Droplist

my Windows recovery bluescreen no longer displays anything but The UEFI and Startup options. I cannot access system restore, but have a line-command for it. I can't access Startup repair or Command Prompt X. Do they have command-lines?

my Favorites droplist obscures when I try to change anything's order. it will not work until I use The settings option of the three dots in the far left of The Microsoft screen.

StephenPlunkett, Aug 20, 2016
  4. Making command line programmer accessible system wide

Putting the pgm in system32 would still work. I'm not sure that it would carry over after a Feature update (Win10.1511, Win10.1607) - it might.

Consider creating a folder under your user folder specifically for portable apps.
    This is a per user method:
    Add the new folder to the Path environment variable so Windows looks in that folder for executables.

Using portaApps as the new folder name and Dad as the user login

Code: PATH=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Users\Dad\portaApps;[/quote] Add the new folder as the last entry on the path.

Slartybart, Aug 20, 2016
  5. Thank you, that is exactly the information I needed.

WeirdScience06, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Making command line programmer accessible system wide

1. Making command line programmer accessible system wide - Similar Threads - Making command line

2. Command line commands

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command line commands: I would like to create a shortcut on the desktop using a command in a .bat file. I would like to specify what icon file to use, what program to execute, and the parameters to pass to the program. I have researched MKLINK but I don't think it will do the job. Any...
  3. Command Line

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Command Line: I am attempting to copy and entire directory from one HDD to another, by keep getting an error of "Invalid umber of parameters." The file path to the Directory is as follows: G:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\OLD OS FOLDER The destination folder is C:\OLDOS Can someone PLEASE...
  4. How to Make system wide font a different Color

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Make system wide font a different Color: I still don't understand why Microsoft hasn't programmed in some simple customization options to windows like for instance, how come I cant change the color of the System Font(System Wide)? another huge mess is the right click menu, Why do they place the Delete option right...
  5. Command Line command question

Command Line command question: I created a folder on my computer with a ampersand, name & name2 Recently I needed to access this folder but the ampersand prevented me from accessing using the 'cd' from the root c:\ Would someone be so kind to provide me with the syntax I need? I realize now I should...
  6. System wide reminders?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System wide reminders?: Is there any software with which you can set up a reminder through a shortcut, regardless of where you are in windows? Ideally, I’d love to have one where you can use natural language. For example, "in 10 minutes remind me to call John". This is some thing I was able to do on...
  7. Command Line

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Command Line: My command line shows a different name when im the only user on the pc. submitted by /u/Fuadop [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hv4f7i/command_line/
  8. Command Line

in Windows 10 Support
    Command Line: Is there a command line entry that will help check and repair drivers, and .dll's files. Or a way to have W10 (1909) repair/replace Only whats corrupt or missing? 148659
  9. Command Line

Command Line: Hello sir. I am using windows 10 64bit. Earlier the netsat command use to work but it doesnt work now. whenever i try this command it displa an error. C:\>netstat 'netstat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. i have tried...
  10. How to make command console customizations available system-wide

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make command console customizations available system-wide: I have created a batch file with various customizations for my command prompt (e.g. Doskey macros etc.). I have a shortcut to cmd.exe that adds the path to my batch file as an argument so that my batch file gets loaded with the command console window. However, this...