Windows 10: making directories from another drive appear in root of first drive

Discus and support making directories from another drive appear in root of first drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My "media" collection of photos and music occupies a total of 1.1 TB. On my desktop system, no problem, with a 4 TB HDD. On my laptop, where I like to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by x509, Sep 29, 2017.

1. x509 Win User

making directories from another drive appear in root of first drive

My "media" collection of photos and music occupies a total of 1.1 TB. On my desktop system, no problem, with a 4 TB HDD. On my laptop, where I like to duplicate this collection for my business trips, I can devote only 200 GB on the laptop's internal SSD. I have to keep the rest on a 1 TB external USB HDD. As a result, two drive letters, E: and I:.

Is there any way to make all the root directories on the external HDD appear as root directories on the SSD, so I am dealing with only one drive letter, as on my desktop?

Both systems are running Win 10 Pro 64, fully updated and patched.

:)

2. Two random directories appear in C Root drive and in the USER directory

I discovered what the problem is. It is a program from Cybereason, RansomFree. It is creating directories at the beginning and the end which I believe is to catch ransomware when it attempts to encrypt files.

BurnNotice206, Sep 29, 2017
  3. John Vil Win User
    Two random directories appear in C Root drive and in the USER directory

Safe Mode also disables all programs from running. Since the folders did not appear while your system was on Safe Mode, this means that there is a certain program that may also be running in the background, causing those folders to show up. However, we
    don't have a tool to pinpoint the exact program causing this folders to appear. We suggest you try the methods below and check if they will be able to see any file corruptions in your system.

Method 1:
    Download and Run Microsoft Safety Scanner

The Microsoft Security Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software. It also works with your existing antivirus
    software.

Method 2:
    Run System File Checker tool

System File Checker is a tool in Windows that allows you to scan for any corruptions in your Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Let us know if you will need further assistance.

John Vil, Sep 29, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Sep 29, 2017
  5. x509 Win User
    Thanks, but I'm trying to eliminate drive letters.

Let me be more specific in what I'm looking for. In my E: drive on my desktop, the major top-level folders are:

\Lightroom
    \PhotosToImport
    \PhotosRejected
    \iTunes
    \Books

For space reasons, I can fit only the \Lightroom directory on the laptop's SDD. All the other directories have to go on that 1 TB external HDD. However, I am looking for a way that all those other directories appear to be in the laptop's E: drive when the external drive is connected.

Right now, having to remember where a particular directory is causes a lot of confusion.

6. Ztruker Win User
    Look at mklink for creating Junction points and hard links. I think that will do what you want.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. making directories from another drive appear in root of first drive - Similar Threads - making directories another

2. Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.: This seems to be a permissions problem, but I can't find what's causing this. I have tried many things.I have a 4TB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk. It checks fine and works well with one exception. I can't create folders or files in the root directory. Other directories are...
  3. Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.: This seems to be a permissions problem, but I can't find what's causing this. I have tried many things.I have a 4TB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk. It checks fine and works well with one exception. I can't create folders or files in the root directory. Other directories are...
  4. Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Robocopy: copy drive root directory creates hidden backup folder

Robocopy: copy drive root directory creates hidden backup folder: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bit Robocopy 10.0.19041.1266 Run Robocopy via .bat file, Run as Administrator. Hello: When I use Robocopy to copy the root directory of a drive D: to a folder non-root directory on an external drive, the resulting destination folder is...
  6. Robocopy: copy drive root directory results in hidden backup folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Robocopy: copy drive root directory results in hidden backup folder: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bit Robocopy 10.0.19041.1266 Run Robocopy via .bat file, Run as Administrator. Hello: When I use Robocopy to copy the root directory of a drive D: to a folder non-root directory on an external drive, the resulting destination folder is...
  7. Robocopy: copy drive root directory results in hidden backup folder

Robocopy: copy drive root directory results in hidden backup folder: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bit Robocopy 10.0.19041.1266 Run Robocopy via .bat file, Run as Administrator. Hello: When I use Robocopy to copy the root directory of a drive D: to a folder non-root directory on an external drive, the resulting destination folder is...
  8. Move WSUS database from root partition to another drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move WSUS database from root partition to another drive: Hi, Running wsus on Win 2012 R2, would like to know how we can move wsus database WID from root partition to another partition on the same server as its consuming lot of space on the root partition. Please suggest how this can be achieved....
  9. Drive missing from indexer search roots

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive missing from indexer search roots: While trying to investigate issues with files not being found by the search indexer, I have noticed that there seems to be an issue with a drive missing from the search roots. Some details that might be important: The compute has three internal drives: OS Drive C:, SSD,...
  10. Second Hard Drive Root Directory "Access is Denied"

in Windows 10 Support
    Second Hard Drive Root Directory "Access is Denied": I'm having a weird issue. I am unable to access the root directory on my second hard drive. Clicking on it just brings up a dialog box with error message "F:\ is not accessable. Access is denied. I can still access all the folders via shortcuts or the address bar, and my...