Windows 10: Making drive letter changes stick

Discus and support Making drive letter changes stick in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have the following partitions: System partition on C User data partition on D DVD-RW on E External hard drive on F I'd like for the external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by IronMew, Apr 14, 2016.

1. IronMew Win User

Making drive letter changes stick

I have the following partitions:

System partition on C
    User data partition on D
    DVD-RW on E
    External hard drive on F

I'd like for the external hard drive to forever stick to F, but it isn't happening. If I disconnect the external HD, then connect my card reader, I'll get four drive letters (one for each card slot) in F, G, H, I. Connecting the external drive after that will give it the letter J, which it'll keep after the card reader is disconnected even through restarts, unless I manually do the rigmarole to reassign it to F.

I'd like F to be reserved to the partition on the external drive, so if I disconnect it and connect something else, that something else will get letters from G onwards even if F is currently not being used. How do I do that?

:)

IronMew, Apr 14, 2016

2. Deleted folder

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

Is the F: drive listed there?

Is it assigned a drive letter?

Can you try assigning a different drive letter?

Right click the Drive.

Click Change drive letters and paths

Choose a different drive letter - choose one near the end of the alphabet - XYZ.

See if it sticks.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 14, 2016
  3. DVD-CD

If the drive letter can be changed, and it's just a DVD drive, and you do not run anything directly from that drive letter consistently at given times, change it if you want.

Worst case, something will not work and you will have to change it back. However, your operating system could care less if your DVD drive is e or F or G or H or so on.

The drive letters of things such as your DVD drive or any USB sticks or external drives are usually unimportant unless you have a task associated with the drive letter as opposed to just using the drives to copy to and from.

Shenan Stanley, Apr 14, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Next time your external drive is connected and assigned to G instead of F right click on the windows start button and select Disk Management.

Select the drive and right click on it to select "Change Drive letter and paths".
    In the dialog box that opens select "Change" and you can then assign the drive letter you want and click OK. This setting should then be remembered for future connections.

philc43, Apr 14, 2016
  5. lifetec Win User
    There is afaik no real way to do what you want, because this is how windows works it automaticaly assigns drive letters.

But what sometimes works is give/assign your external hard drive a "high" letter like U, V, W.
    Probably windows will keep F,G,H,I for the Card reader when you connect it.
    And if you Lucky windows will keep/reassign the external hard drive to your chosen high letter.

lifetec, Apr 14, 2016
  6. AndreTen Win User
    You can try program named USBDLM. The author claims that it do (among other things) just the thing you want.
    It is free for personal use and addware free according to Softpedia.

AndreTen, Apr 14, 2016
  7. IronMew Win User
    I'll give it a shot, thanks.

IronMew, Apr 14, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

What Philc43 suggests works. However I would suggest you allocate a higher drive letter.

Why? If you plug in other devices, they will use drive letters above E so F may not be available.
    If you allocate the drive you're interested in drive R: say, that will always be available.

I use this technique for the disks I use for my disk image backups.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Making drive letter changes stick - Similar Threads - Making drive letter

2. Drive letters changed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letters changed: I had to reinstall Windows 10 and after doing so the drive letters changed. What was the C: drive with the OS is now the G: drive. I have two other 300GB hard drives that are pretty old. I would like to replace them with one larger drive but I feel I should first address the...
  3. How to make Windows not use a Drive Letter?

How to make Windows not use a Drive Letter?: Hello. I am using a software called SSHFS-Win Manager to be able to connect to SSH on the network. This software uses a fuse driver which uses for example: D drive for fuse (though not showing up in File Explorer) and E drive for the files in SSH connection. (It uses Drive D...
  4. Change SSD drive letter

Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  5. Change SSD drive letter

in Windows 10 Support
    Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  6. Change drive letters assigned

Change drive letters assigned: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  7. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  8. Change OS Drive Letter

Change OS Drive Letter: I've got a two hard drive laptop set up and I'd like the OS to be on my faster 256GB OCZ RD400 SSD but with a letter other than C: I don't care what letter, just not C. My larger 1 TB drive, is what I'd like to label as C: without the operating system on it. I use DropBox...
  9. How to change drive letter of mirror drive

How to change drive letter of mirror drive: I have just set up a mirror drive(software RAID1) and want to change the drive letter. I am getting a message "The parameter is incorrect". I am wondering if I am stuck with the one assigned when the mirror drive was set up. 27607
  10. Possible to make shift key stick until letter is pressed?

in Windows 10 Support
    Possible to make shift key stick until letter is pressed?: Basically, I want the shift key to behave like a mobile phone keyboard where you press it and it stays engaged until you press the next key and then it disengages. Possible? 101963