Windows 10: Making sense of the Intel driver numbers:

Discus and support Making sense of the Intel driver numbers: in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have 4th Gen i5-4590 with HD Graphics 4600 When I ran the Intel Utility earlier, it 'disagreed' with what was actually showing in the display... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by DEcosse, Sep 12, 2015.

1. DEcosse Win User

Making sense of the Intel driver numbers:

I have 4th Gen i5-4590 with HD Graphics 4600

When I ran the Intel Utility earlier, it 'disagreed' with what was actually showing in the display adapter in the Device Manager:
    The driver was listed as 10.18.15.4256
    However the Intel Utility showed that the currently installed were 15.20.4.64.4256 for Intel HD Graphics 3RD gen and also Windows Iris , Iris Pro & HD Graphics Production driver.

Ignoring the Intel Update Utility I downloaded & tried to manually install the latest 15.20.7.4279, pointing to that downloaded folder:

The driver updated but to 10.18.15.4279 - it does not seem to want to find the 15.xx. version

And now the Update Utility does show the 10.18.15.4279 drivers as installed, but does not show that the available update is the (latest) 15.40.7.4279 and indeed shows different 'latest' drivers for the two different line items as different drivers

This is what I currently have:

Making sense of the Intel driver numbers: [​IMG]

Making sense of the Intel driver numbers: [​IMG]

I'm confused as to
    Why the Intel Utility has two line items - and why they are showing different 'latest' for each (& not actually the latest per the manual look-up on Intel Site & also per the sticky).

Why did the Intel Utility previously show different installed drivers from what was actually in the Device Manager (before this recent update)

How to get the 15.40.7.4279 to install!

System is working for most part but I do have some flickering on some video (like a live video)

:)

DEcosse, Sep 12, 2015
  2. Boab_843 Win User

Windows Hello not recognising my camera

Checked Device Manager for:

Intel Real Sense 3D Camera, Depth

Intel Real Sense 3D Camera RGB

Intel Real Sense 3D Camera Virtual Driver

All 3 display as 'working properly'. My camera seems to operate okay when I select the Camera app.

Boab_843, Sep 12, 2015
  3. zme-ul Win User
    after installing KB3124262 on my W10 laptop, I get continously prompted to reboot the system for HW changes to take effect even after I do so

I really hope someday MicroSoft returns to it's senses and makes Automatic Windows Updates optional as they were

because WUP is set to automatic I absolutely can't install the latest Intel graphics driver - the driver installed by WUP is quite older

zme-ul, Sep 12, 2015
  4. DEcosse Win User

p.s.
    If I search the downloaded location (the new 15.40.7.4279 folder) for compatible drivers it only gives me the 10.xx series options;
    If I try to specifically point to the folder to install that 'autorun.inf' it says that is only compatible with x64 systems (which is what I have!!!)

DEcosse, Sep 12, 2015
  5. fredc Win User
    I gave up on always looking for the latest drivers especially with Intel's utility , seems whenever i installed the latest, performance suffered , i just let Windows choose and they seem to work fine.

fredc, Sep 12, 2015
  6. john7 Win User
    I have given up on the Intel Utility it says I need drivers that when down loaded are already installed (i.e. repair-uninstall comes up) as said above lists multiple drivers some older than the others. It actually downloaded a desktop driver (which luckily refused to install), its really a useless bit of rubbish.

john7, Sep 13, 2015
  7. This is exactly what I found with my Intel NUC. Just out of interest I updated the video driver and W10 did not like it.
    It works perfectly well with the drivers it installed when I clean installed it.
    I've had the same experience with my other PC ( P8Z77-V Pro, I5-3570K, gtx 970), it runs like a champ.

Torquemada, Sep 13, 2015
  8. fredc Win User

I think people get obsessed about having the latest drivers and nowadays i just think if the computer runs well just leave it alone , i never experienced replacing a driver which in turn turned my computer into a fire breathing dragon.

If your not experiencing issues leave it the way it is, you will probably be better off in the end.

fredc, Sep 13, 2015
  9. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I have found Intel update utility to be a little dodgy at best.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Making sense of the Intel driver numbers: - Similar Threads - Making sense Intel

2. Making sense of .Net in PowerShell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Making sense of .Net in PowerShell: I am a sysadmin and have used PowerShell on a daily basis for years. I have consistently noticed the injection of a .Net property is always worth a few lines of native cmdlets or unnecessary lines of logic. How do you go about looking up useful .Net resources for the use of...
  3. Making sense of .Net in PowerShell

in Windows 10 Customization
    Making sense of .Net in PowerShell: I am a sysadmin and have used PowerShell on a daily basis for years. I have consistently noticed the injection of a .Net property is always worth a few lines of native cmdlets or unnecessary lines of logic. How do you go about looking up useful .Net resources for the use of...
  4. Making sense of .Net in PowerShell

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Making Sense of a Bugcheck dmp File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Making Sense of a Bugcheck dmp File: Good afternoon! I recently built my first computer and it ran fine for approximately 3 weeks. Suddenly it has started randomly turning off straight to black or blue screen of death. I've run every hardware test I can find, memory, GPU, CPU, and the wall outlet itself all...
  6. Making Sense of a Bugcheck dmp File

Making Sense of a Bugcheck dmp File: Good afternoon! I recently built my first computer and it ran fine for approximately 3 weeks. Suddenly it has started randomly turning off straight to black or blue screen of death. I've run every hardware test I can find, memory, GPU, CPU, and the wall outlet itself all...
  7. Which SSD optimizations still make sense?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Which SSD optimizations still make sense?: I've recently found an old to-do list of things to optimize an SSD. Some of them are definitely not needed anymore, while I'm not totally sure about others, so I'm going to list those where I got doubts here below: 1) Turn Off Indexing 2) Disable Hibernation 3) Disable...
  8. Deleting files progress display makes no sense

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting files progress display makes no sense: The delete progress display shows 5 seconds remaining, 0 items remaining, and 17.1 GB of items to delete. The 5 seconds doesn't change and the process has continued for 40 minutes and no end in sight. It's times like this that I really don't trust the operating system. I...
  9. A fix that does not make sense

A fix that does not make sense: My OS is Windows 10 and I have office 2007 installed which I’ve had for quite some time. Every now and then when I open MS Word it goes through the configuration process before it opens. It seems as there are a few different ways to fix it. One way was to go to Control Panel...
  10. Intel HD 4000 Driver Version Number not Going Up

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Intel HD 4000 Driver Version Number not Going Up: Running Windows 10 and a latest version for my GPU (Intel HD 4000) is out I searched for it on Intel and found the driver download at this HTML Code: <a href="Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.33]">link</a>[/quote] . I downloaded the driver and restarted my...