Windows 10: Making Space to C drive

Discus and support Making Space to C drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello My SSD is nearly full. I know that on it there is some file that I don't use that originate from past new hard disk installation. Question:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by arjfca, Oct 30, 2017.

1. arjfca Win User

Making Space to C drive

Hello

My SSD is nearly full. I know that on it there is some file that I don't use that originate from past new hard disk installation.

Question:
    - Is there a way to know witch system file is obsolete and not in use anymore?
    - How to know what is populating my drive

Martin

:)

arjfca, Oct 30, 2017

2. MAKING SPACE ON N8 DRIVE C

@NaijaPenguin

Do you store a lot of Email upon your N8?

aspergerguy, Oct 30, 2017
  3. MAKING SPACE ON N8 DRIVE C

Please can i br helped with the information on how to make space on my N8 Drive C? When i tried to delete files that could make up the space on the Drive C, i would not see any potential files that could occupy the space. Somebody please help me!

NaijaPenguin, Oct 30, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Making Space to C drive

Hi @arjfca

First thing I would do before trying to investigate what is there and why, is do a Disk Cleanup using Windows tool. Very simple to do. Make sure you do the full cleanup that includes cleaning system files. Here is the tutorial:

*Arrow Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

And post, please how big your SSD is and how much is in use right now. Thanks.

f14tomcat, Oct 30, 2017
  5. arjfca Win User
    Thanks F14Tomcat

SSD 220 GB 22GB free
    Disk clean-up done before posting

Martin

arjfca, Oct 30, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Oct 30, 2017
  7. arjfca Win User
  8. f14tomcat Win User

Making Space to C drive

What do you mean "I want to use F drive"? You want to move files there to make room on "C"?

f14tomcat, Oct 30, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
  10. Bree New Member
    Try again, making sure you click 'clean up system files'. Then click its 'More Options' tab and delete all but the most recent restore point.

On an SSD you could also turn off fast start up and hibernation. A full sized hiberfil.sys is about 40% of the size of your installed RAM.
    Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

11. f14tomcat Win User
    To answer one of your questions in post #1, there is a very handy utility called Tree Size (free) that shows exactly what is on your drive including all system and hidden files. Sorted by size, it gives a quick picture of the largest taking space.

TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs

Example from my machine:

Making Space to C drive [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Oct 30, 2017
  12. arjfca Win User
    Sorry I created two post for the problem.. I mixed my comments. If I can make space on C drive I won't need a trick ("MKLINK") to use space on another drive.

The comment is valid for the other post

- How to make space
    - How to use MKLINK to use space on another drive.

Martin

arjfca, Oct 30, 2017
  13. f14tomcat Win User

Making Space to C drive

Did you see my post #9?

Making Space to C drive - Windows 10 Forums

f14tomcat, Oct 30, 2017
  14. arjfca Win User
    arjfca, Oct 30, 2017
  15. f14tomcat Win User
    OK. Is it your intention to find files on the "C" drive that you can safely move to the "F" drive to make space on the "C" drive?

f14tomcat, Oct 30, 2017
Thema:

Making Space to C drive

1. Making Space to C drive - Similar Threads - Making Space drive

2. C Drive storage space doesn't make sense?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C Drive storage space doesn't make sense?: My C Drive has 180 GB of storage; out of which 104 GB is being used by installed apps and 13GB by system but calculating manually only 16 GB is actually being used by the installed apps. I tried cleaning up but it's still the same I don't understand what is happening....
  3. C Drive storage space doesn't make sense?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C Drive storage space doesn't make sense?: My C Drive has 180 GB of storage; out of which 104 GB is being used by installed apps and 13GB by system but calculating manually only 16 GB is actually being used by the installed apps. I tried cleaning up but it's still the same I don't understand what is happening....
  4. How to Make Unallocated Space Contiguous to C drive ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Make Unallocated Space Contiguous to C drive ?: On my Hyper-V host Windows Server 2019, C drive need to be extended but the unallocated space which was shrunk from D volume, is not next to C. How can I move the free space to be on the right side of C?...
  5. How to Make Unallocated Space Contiguous to C drive ?

How to Make Unallocated Space Contiguous to C drive ?: On my Hyper-V host Windows Server 2019, C drive need to be extended but the unallocated space which was shrunk from D volume, is not next to C. How can I move the free space to be on the right side of C?...
  6. C drive space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive space: Hello .My C drive is an ssd 476 GB.At Monday the capacity was 290 GB.I deleted the latest restore points and the capacity went up to 300GB.Also i activated the weekly scheduled optimization for C drivebut i am thinking wasn't necessary and for my second internal hddmainly for...
  7. Space in C drive!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Space in C drive!!!: There is one problem which I face with my computer everyday. The space free in the C drive gets lesser day bay day. For example, yesterday the space free in the c drive was 45.1 GB and today it suddenly reduced to 43.2 GB, without me installing any programs. Sometimes I...
  8. Space in C drive!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Space in C drive!!!: There is one problem which I face with my computer everyday. The space free in the C drive gets lesser day bay day. For example, yesterday the space free in the c drive was 45.1 GB and today it suddenly reduced to 43.2 GB, without me installing any programs. Sometimes I...
  9. Space in C drive!!!

10. Making Space on C:\ Drive with AppData

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Making Space on C:\ Drive with AppData: I have a 120GB C:\ drive and a 1TB D:\ where I store my data. The AppData folder on the C:\ drives takes up almost 40GB of space and even with using the disc clean-up tools, I'm nearly always getting a red bar on my C:\ drive saying it's close to full. How can you reduce...