Windows 10: Making the Taskbar/Start Menu match Window border colours exactly?

Discus and support Making the Taskbar/Start Menu match Window border colours exactly? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I recently began making a custom theme, and have just started changing the theme colours. I used the registry editor to use a custom... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Bayk, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Bayk Win User

Making the Taskbar/Start Menu match Window border colours exactly?

Hi everyone,

I recently began making a custom theme, and have just started changing the theme colours. I used the registry editor to use a custom colour, and it has worked for the borders around windows. However the taskbar and start menu colour is much a much brighter colour than the custom colour I chose. Check the image below to see what I mean.

Making the Taskbar/Start Menu match Window border colours exactly? [​IMG]

Also note that I am using an aero theme which increases the window border width etc. In case that makes a difference.

Hopefully someone knows how to make the two match exactly,

Cheers, .

:)

2. Thanatica Win User

Consolidate context menu styles

The style for context menus need to be consolidated. There are current three different styles:

• Right-click on an empty region of the taskbar: you will get a black context menu with a light border and no icons, which fades in and out.
    • Right-click on a taskbar app button: you will get a black context menu without border but with monotone icons, which slides in and out from the bottom.
    • Right-click on the desktop and most other places: you will get a bright-grey context menu with coloured icons, which fades in and out.

Like I said, there is no need to maintain three different styles for a visual element that is the result of three identical user interactions, only in different places. These three styles come with a virgin installation of Windows 10, which can make it confusing
    to new and upgraded users why the colour and such is suddenly different for essentially the same 'thing'.

To reiterate, differences in:

• Background colour
    • Text colour
    • Border style
    • Hide- and show animation
    • Coloured icons, monotone icons, or no icons

Why not make these the same for every context menu? It's easier to maintain (for Microsoft devs) and easier on the user experience (for your valued customers).

Thanatica, Oct 24, 2015
  3. nono_ Win User
    Windows 10 window border problem, what's wrong with you UI developers eyes?!

I also have this problem. I initially thought it had to do with enablewindowcolorization in the registry: How to change task bar only color in Windows 8?

But playing around with that has no effect. Interestingly, if you choose some of the high contrast themes, the window border colour comes back.
    I hope this gets fixed soon.

edit: I think I've found a potential fix.

• Download and install this theme: Replace those white title bars in Windows 10 with this colors theme
    • Go to Start > Settings > Personalisation > Themes > Theme settings. Activate the newly installed 'Colored' theme. Window borders are now coloured (it was blue-ish for me).
    • Go to Start > Settings > Personalisation > Background, and change your background to whatever you want.
    • Under Colours, turn off the first slider Automatically pick an accent, and choose a colour. Your taskbar and window border colour should both change.
    • If you're happy then you're done. However, if you want to have a different colour for the windows than the taskbar, then:
    • Press Win-R (or from the command prompt/terminal), and run the command control color.
    • You can then choose the colour for your window border there, but note that you have limited options.
      DO NOT MOVE THE HUE SLIDER, or it will change the taskbar colour as well. You can play around with the Saturation and Brightness sliders, just as long as you don't drag them to the left or right extremes (or all colours will
      all change to grey). This means that you can only play around with shades similar to your taskbar shade. A simple way (what I did) was just to reduce the colour intensity to get a grey window border and coloured taskbar.

nono_, Oct 24, 2015
Thema:

Making the Taskbar/Start Menu match Window border colours exactly?

1. Making the Taskbar/Start Menu match Window border colours exactly? - Similar Threads - Making Taskbar Start

2. Start menu colour inconsistency

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu colour inconsistency: I set the colour accent to blue and chose the option to show it in the start menu and taskbar, but when I type something in the start menu it reverts to black. This behaviour is not present on my other machine. Can someone help please?...
  3. Start menu colour inconsistency

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu colour inconsistency: I set the colour accent to blue and chose the option to show it in the start menu and taskbar, but when I type something in the start menu it reverts to black. This behaviour is not present on my other machine. Can someone help please?...
  4. colourful icons on windows 10 start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    colourful icons on windows 10 start menu: How do I get the colourful icons on windows 10 start menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/colourful-icons-on-windows-10-start-menu/0bdb6d87-a9b4-4052-8b12-1371d27bca00
  5. Colour not appearing on Title Bars, WIndow Borders & Apps on Start Menu

Colour not appearing on Title Bars, WIndow Borders & Apps on Start Menu: So recently there was an update, and after the update my colors disappeared on the start menu. It was supposed to look like the picture shown in the preview[ATTACH] But it looks like this instead[ATTACH] I have tried changing to default themes, unclicking all possible...
  6. Windows 10 Exact Taskbar and Start Menu Colour

Windows 10 Exact Taskbar and Start Menu Colour: Hi. In Windows 10 1809 whenever you change the accent colour to a custom colour the window border colour is set to the exact colour you chose however the taskbar and start menu colour are changed slightly. For example: The custom accent colour set was: #66cbea The window...
  7. Start menu not changing colours

Start menu not changing colours: [ATTACH] Like in the picture my start menu background is not the same color as my accent color And yes i made sure the "show accent on start menu taskbar" is ticked...
  8. Sub Menu Border and Colour Customisation

Sub Menu Border and Colour Customisation: Hi all, I'm wondering if you can help me with the issues I'm having with Windows 10. I recently did a reinstallation and since doing so, I'm unable to rectify 2 issues I'm having. The first is my system tray icons and sub menus for task bar icons having a 1px border...
  9. Independent taskbar and window border colours?

Independent taskbar and window border colours?: One of the things I find most annoying about Windows 7, being a long-time XP user, is the lack of independent colour settings for the various GUI elements, for example, the taskbar, active window title bar and active window border colours are not separately settable. I see no...
  10. How to make a start menu on the taskbar on Windows 10 preview?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make a start menu on the taskbar on Windows 10 preview?: There is a post (windows 8 forum -http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...8-taskbar.html ) to install the start menu on the task bar for Windows 8 but it does not fully work on windows 10, does anyone know if there is a similar way to put a fully working start menu on windows...