Windows 10: Making W10 **SHUTDOWN** Instead of HIbernating

Discus and support Making W10 **SHUTDOWN** Instead of HIbernating in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How can I make Windows 10 shutdown instead of hibernating? Everytime I shutdown, then turn my PC back on, I have to do a hard reboot because VeraCrypt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Amarildo, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Amarildo Win User

Making W10 **SHUTDOWN** Instead of HIbernating

How can I make Windows 10 shutdown instead of hibernating? Everytime I shutdown, then turn my PC back on, I have to do a hard reboot because VeraCrypt gets all confused.

:)

Amarildo, Apr 30, 2016
  2. JerryVogt Win User

shortcut to make the computer sleep/hibernate

I would like a shortcut to make the Win 10 desktop computer sleep/hibernate as I was able to do in XP. No multiple steps, reaching down to press the desktop computer power button or other inconvenient methods. Would like to be able to sleep in the daytime
    and hibernate at night (with power off). If I make a Shortcut: rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0; and if the computer is set to allow hibernate, then i have to use the power button down on the computer to start up again instead of any key.

JerryVogt, Apr 30, 2016
  3. Is it ok to Hibernate on W10

Just for clarity, what are the specific steps that you took in adding the hibernate option to the Start menu? We will give you the most advisable way in adding back the hibernate option to the Start menu. Kindly do the following steps using an administrator
    account:

• Type control panel on the search bar.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Click on System and Security.
    • Click on Power Options.
    • On the left panel, click on Choose what the power buttons do.
    • Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    • Put a check on Hibernate.
    • Click on Save changes, then close the window.

If the steps that you took are different from what we have given, we highly recommend that you do the given steps instead.

Let us know if you need further assistance with your concern.

Joshua Her1, Apr 30, 2016
  4. Fafhrd Win User

Open an Admin Cmd prompt and type the following:

Powercfg -h off

to disable hibernation, since your system has problems with it.

Fafhrd, Apr 30, 2016
  5. Two things that MS never did get quite right, are Hibernate and Sleep.
    I totally disable both on every system I set up with Windows.

Besides the obvious, of shutting off Hibernate, you also get rid of that huge and obnoxious "Hiberfil.sys" file in your root directory, saving a lot of valuable disk space.

MS in their infinite wisdom, made it really hard to just shut down your PC when you're done with it.
    So some people will just leave it on....... Not Good! Or some will hold down the Power ON button, till the PC shuts off.
    Again, NOT GOOD!

However, there is a very quick and easy way to shut down your PC with just a click of a Desktop Icon.

You can right click on your Desktop and create a new Shortcut.
    Here is the text of that Shutdown Shortcut:

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 1

Spacing is important, so if you can just copy and paste the above line into a new desktop shortcut, everything should work OK. Then you can do a quick and efficient Shutdown of your PC, by just clicking on that shortcut.

I've been sharing Quick Shutdown shortcuts with my customers since the Windows 98 days. Most love the simplicity of it.

Cheers Mate!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, May 1, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    I prefer Powercfg -h off as Fafhrd said then make sure the Power button in Power Options is set to Shutdown.
    Then press the Power button once and let go and it will shutdown.

I usually do this as I'm walking away. Press the power button, turn off the monitor, turn off the lights in the room and go read a book or go to bed (depends on the time).

Ztruker, May 1, 2016
  7. Amarildo Win User
    Thank you, that did it *Smile

I don't know, I never had a problem with it on XP/Vista/7 (never used 8). And I wouldn't have a problem on 10 if I didn't encrypt my drive either *Smile The only problem is that Windows 10 seems stupid to recognize my old keyboard and it (the keyboard) freezes on every boot, I literally have to plug it off and then on again to make it work. However, that's not possible to do on VeraCrypt's password request screen, and thus I could not type my passphrase, and thus I could not boot, having to do a hard reset.

Interesting. That file is 3.2 GB in my case, so that could allow me to install a few extra games here *Wink

I assume you're talking about Windows 10 only?
    And then they come up to forums asking why their drivers have hundreds (if not thousands) of bad sectors *Wink

Thanks, I appreciate it! *Biggrin But given that the other solution is much easier and require less effort on every shutdown, I will stick with it. *Tongue

Cheers!

Amarildo, May 5, 2016
  8. Making W10 **SHUTDOWN** Instead of HIbernating

I agree 100%. Never saw a need to use either, especially now that systems boot so fast, thanks to OS optimizations and SSDs.

DeaconFrost, May 5, 2016
  9. rboris Win User
    an easier solution:
    hold the shift key while you click on "shut down."

rboris, May 5, 2016
  10. MtheK Win User
    MtheK, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Making W10 **SHUTDOWN** Instead of HIbernating - Similar Threads - Making W10 **SHUTDOWN**

2. Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?: I'm using AMD laptop. Which is best to use? Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep? I heard Macbook are recommended to use Sleep, Does it same to Windows laptop? Which three consume more and least power?...
  3. Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?: I'm using AMD laptop. Which is best to use? Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep? I heard Macbook are recommended to use Sleep, Does it same to Windows laptop? Which three consume more and least power?...
  4. W10 Hibernation - shutdown query

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    W10 Hibernation - shutdown query: With hibernation turned ON, the windows shutdown does not make a proper shutdown, it's still using hibernation feature - To do a proper reboot of the whole system I need to do a Restart. Is there any way to make the system work in such way, that hibernation works only when I...
  5. Instead of Restart my W10 will shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Instead of Restart my W10 will shutdown: Hi, My laptop runs on W10 home version 21h1. The antivirus I am currently using is Windows defender and Power Sleep option I have set to never.Few months ago I installed ccleaner and accidentally deleted few registry. After which I am facing restart shutdown problem .No...
  6. Hibernating and shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Hibernating and shutdown: Hi All i have a problem when hibernating it wakes up after a while and the reason it says in event viewer is unknown and the powercfg -waketimer shows me nothing. 162306
  7. W10 Enterprise instead of W10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W10 Enterprise instead of W10 Pro: I have new laptop Acer Aspire. It was bought with OEM W10Home. Then I have ordered and paid licence for W10Pro. At the last form of purchasing process is button "Install". I pushed it. After restart there is W10Enterprise. Now I am not able to activate it nor to change it to...
  8. New update causes Windows to shutdown instead of sleep or hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    New update causes Windows to shutdown instead of sleep or hibernate: After the most recent updates the past two weeks, when ever I put my computer to sleep or hibernate, my laptop fully shuts down. It closes all applications. It takes the normal turn on time rather than the expedited wake up from sleep mode. Not sure if there is a fix or if a...
  9. shutdown after hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    shutdown after hibernate: hi Is my pc going to hibernate and then when i want to work afterwarts no problem. The problem is when i press the on off button of my desktop nothing happend. I can only sutdown my pc by the startmenu schutdown Why ? 82547
  10. Sleep instead of Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep instead of Shutdown: I have a desktop computer running Windows 10. It has been working with no problems. Recently it stopped shutting down. When shutdown is selected, it appears to shutdown, the monitor reports the video signal is lost and the lights go off on the PC. However it you touch...