Windows 10: Malware/Hijack = Startmenu/bar 'locked' out and programs fail to start

Discus and support Malware/Hijack = Startmenu/bar 'locked' out and programs fail to start in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Evening all, sorry I'm posting in the dark (irl) on an old laptop, this is as close to a BSOD as can be, sorry if it's the wrong forum. I'll be as... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Droplifter, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Malware/Hijack = Startmenu/bar 'locked' out and programs fail to start

Evening all, sorry I'm posting in the dark (irl) on an old laptop, this is as close to a BSOD as can be, sorry if it's the wrong forum. I'll be as specific as I can;

All was well until this evening whereupon restarting caused 'gangnamgame' site (left url out so as not to link) so I decided to sweep for malware, PUP etc.

My preferred program, malwarebytes, would not start. I managed to start it from their 'chameleon' utility; it found about 7 registry entries labelled as 'hijack'/severe/

Upon reboot, startbar, taskmanager and several other utilities would either crash on, fail to start. Powershell and others reported that I did not have relevant administrator privileges...

I managed to run msconfig and schedule safe boot and ran SFC /SCANNOW, I've yet to see if it helps.

This seems pretty bad anyway, like some new or advanced malware? All help greatly appreciated, I can't yet upload logs etc due to machine being broken.

:)

Droplifter, Sep 15, 2015

2. Typing issues in IE and microsoft edge

I'd start with a clean boot I think. Something is sending keystrokes without your interaction, that's a sign of malware for sure. Especially when you're not even touching anything and it moves focus to the address bar. The only way to do that without
    clicking is to press Ctrl+L or Alt+D... and since you aren't having problems in other programs, it sure sounds like something is trying to hijack your Microsoft browsers. Start with

How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    and test out.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Sep 15, 2015
  3. help Me ! Windows Script Host : Can Not Find script file

"C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup\Hyperion.vbs".

?? How To Fix this :'v Im Getting Mad Of This I Cant Open My Start Menu And Some of my proggrams on the bar are missing

PatricePribadi, Sep 15, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

Malware/Hijack = Startmenu/bar 'locked' out and programs fail to start

Hi Droplifter and welcome to TenForums.

Kaspersky have a rescue tool which operates outside of the OS. You might want to try this to get control over your system again. Once back on the desktop, run RKILL to stop any leftover malware processes. (Do not reboot after running RKILL. Everything RKILL does will be undone upon reboot.) Then, TDSSKiller. Then run an ESET Online Scan. Uninstall any and all browser toolbars. Finally, RESET your browsers.

simrick, Sep 16, 2015
Thema:

Malware/Hijack = Startmenu/bar 'locked' out and programs fail to start

1. Malware/Hijack = Startmenu/bar 'locked' out and programs fail to start - Similar Threads - Malware Hijack Startmenu

2. Startmenu\Programs Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Startmenu\Programs Shortcuts: Hi so i acidentaly deleted most of my shortcuts in the StartMenu\Programms folder, i dont know where they are in my trash bin. is there a way to recover the shortcuts in the Startmenu\Programms folder.Thanks-Theo Kos...
  3. Startmenu\Programs Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Startmenu\Programs Shortcuts: Hi so i acidentaly deleted most of my shortcuts in the StartMenu\Programms folder, i dont know where they are in my trash bin. is there a way to recover the shortcuts in the Startmenu\Programms folder.Thanks-Theo Kos...
  4. phone stolen, email hijacked, locked out of my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    phone stolen, email hijacked, locked out of my computer: Recently my phone was stolen and the person gained access to all my sensitive data including my emailthey added their own 2 step auth code and now I have no way to get it back, on top of that they've locked my computer linked to my email account out completely. I have no...
  5. phone stolen, email hijacked, locked out of my computer

phone stolen, email hijacked, locked out of my computer: Recently my phone was stolen and the person gained access to all my sensitive data including my emailthey added their own 2 step auth code and now I have no way to get it back, on top of that they've locked my computer linked to my email account out completely. I have no...
  6. phone stole, email hijacked, locked out of my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    phone stole, email hijacked, locked out of my computer: Recently my phone was stolen and the person gained access to all my sensitive data including my emailthey added their own 2 step auth code and now I have no way to get it back, on top of that they've locked my computer linked to my email account out completely. I have no...
  7. phone stole, email hijacked, locked out of my computer

phone stole, email hijacked, locked out of my computer: Recently my phone was stolen and the person gained access to all my sensitive data including my emailthey added their own 2 step auth code and now I have no way to get it back, on top of that they've locked my computer linked to my email account out completely. I have no...
  8. browser hijacker programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    browser hijacker programs: How do I remove a browser hijacker program. I think I have "search-land.com" running on my system. McAfee and TotalAV scans have not found any virus or malware.What gives??JimH...
  9. A Program in Start bar but not opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    A Program in Start bar but not opening: [ATTACH] Please take a look task bar there is a additional space before settings application How to remove that ?? This is happening after system restore for recent system restore point....
  10. Are these programs malware?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Are these programs malware?: I installed an app which also installed a bunch of sketchy software, most of which I removed. However, there is one very suspicious program constantly running in the background, which seems to be opening Yahoo search every time I do a Google search (this stops when I close...