Windows 10: Malware or Virus?

Discus and support Malware or Virus? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I usually use downmagz.com to download magazines. Today, I went to there to get some mags and when I went to the download page I got a popup that said... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by N7AS, Sep 20, 2015.

1. N7AS Win User

Malware or Virus?

I usually use downmagz.com to download magazines. Today, I went to there to get some mags and when I went to the download page I got a popup that said CableONE has blocked the website. Clicked OK and then a page came up with a blue screen and another popup. There was also a high pitched whistle which drove me nuts. I could not close the tab or close out my Chrome browser. I had to go to the task manager to close Chrome. I wonder how a virus or malware knows what provider I am using. I couldn't actually be CableONE doing this.

I finally had to uninstall Chrome and reinstall it. Now everything is OK.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Anyone know of a SAFE place to download magazines?

:)

2. Is this an update or malware? UPDATE: Malware I guess, OpenGL disabled since last update

So now I come to find out that, ever since I ran the windows update, my computer has stopped working where OpenGL is concerned. Apps that require it such as the Gzdoom source port for Doom simply refuse to run, and some apps now have buggy graphics features.

Friend suggested making sure my ATI driver is properly installed, but I don't know how to do that, and

considering my graphics driver is already garbage
    , I'm about ready to break this $900 paperweight over my knee.

mikewhoocares, Sep 20, 2015
  3. Is this an update or malware? UPDATE: Malware I guess, OpenGL disabled since last update

This keeps popping up and annoying me:

Malware or Virus? [​IMG]

I finally got tired of it the other day and clicked "Restart now" a few days ago. Nothing happend. At all. A few days later it finally starts popping up again.

Is this legit and windows update is a buggier mess than usual? or is it malware of some kind made to look like an update?

** Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures **

mikewhoocares, Sep 20, 2015
  4. Borg 386 Win User

Malware or Virus?

I couldn't tell you on the request for a clean magazine site, but your crash may have had something to do with this:

Nasty URL bug brings Google Chrome to a screeching halt | PCWorld

Since you did encounter a problem that crashed your browser, it would be a good idea to run a scan with Malwarebytes (The free version will work fine) or AdwCleaner to be sure something didn't get into the system.

Borg 386, Sep 20, 2015
  5. Antilope Win User
    I subscribe to Next Issue in the Microsoft Store. That's a very safe place to read magazines.

Antilope, Sep 21, 2015
  6. N7AS Win User
    I couldn't find any magazines there. What's the catch. I would rather download a .pdf so I could read it later or print some pages of interest.

7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

MALWAREBYTES (Free version) while it seems the most popular AV software on this site does NOT even recognize some of those sites that Hijack your browser -- you know those sites where that you can't close the page and tells you to phone a number because your computer is infected (of course a SCAM).

A first solution is simply to use task manager to purge the browser task - in extreme cases restore your system. Malwarebytes isn't as good as people think it is -- viruses and malware have changed significantly these days -- don't assume just because you've installed AV software you are 100% safe --in fact you are probably at MORE risk because of being lulled into a false sense of security.

Always take care and never assume a computer is 100% protected.

(In commercial flying - even seasoned Pilots know when to dis-engage the Autopilot - you don't rely 100% on technology.).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Malware or Virus?

1. Malware or Virus? - Similar Threads - Malware Virus

2. Malware Virus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Malware Virus: my laptop just got malware injected, and im using Windows 11 Home 23H2.the malware was looked like this the picture i already use HitmanPro malware remover and found it on C:\Users\[myname]\AppData\Roaming\rasctrs with the exact date on the folder i got hacked is theres...
  3. Malware Virus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Malware Virus: my laptop just got malware injected, and im using Windows 11 Home 23H2.the malware was looked like this the picture i already use HitmanPro malware remover and found it on C:\Users\[myname]\AppData\Roaming\rasctrs with the exact date on the folder i got hacked is theres...
  4. False Positive vbs/pordeezy.rb!lnk virus malware : Please Help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    False Positive vbs/pordeezy.rb!lnk virus malware : Please Help: As I inserted a USB in my windows 11 PC, windows secuirty Windows Defender detected vbs/pordeezy.rb!lnk virus. Now I have checked with couple of Anti-Virus but no one is showing the virus, But Windows Security Windows Defender is still telling me that my PC is infected with...
  5. False Positive vbs/pordeezy.rb!lnk virus malware : Please Help

False Positive vbs/pordeezy.rb!lnk virus malware : Please Help: As I inserted a USB in my windows 11 PC, windows secuirty Windows Defender detected vbs/pordeezy.rb!lnk virus. Now I have checked with couple of Anti-Virus but no one is showing the virus, But Windows Security Windows Defender is still telling me that my PC is infected with...
  6. not able to remove virus/malware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    not able to remove virus/malware: not able to remove threats on my pc windows 10 windows security i’ve tried different antivirus including the windows one but won’t clear the thread i am aware it came from chrome extensions which i have removed hope you can help thankyou...
  7. not able to remove virus/malware

not able to remove virus/malware: not able to remove threats on my pc windows 10 windows security i’ve tried different antivirus including the windows one but won’t clear the thread i am aware it came from chrome extensions which i have removed hope you can help thankyou...
  8. not able to remove virus/malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. A few files have appeared on my computer in chinese gibberish, are these viruses or malware...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A few files have appeared on my computer in chinese gibberish, are these viruses or malware...: I was looking through my files when I noticed various files with Chinese gibberish as their names. They only seem to initally show themselves when I open the file tab, but when I try to search for them anywhere else the search turns fruitless. I haven't opened any of the...
  10. A few files have appeared on my computer in chinese gibberish, are these viruses or malware...

A few files have appeared on my computer in chinese gibberish, are these viruses or malware...: I was looking through my files when I noticed various files with Chinese gibberish as their names. They only seem to initally show themselves when I open the file tab, but when I try to search for them anywhere else the search turns fruitless. I haven't opened any of the...