Windows 10: Malware Trying to Encrypt my Hard Drives

Discus and support Malware Trying to Encrypt my Hard Drives in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi all, I have somehow acquired some malware that keeps trying to encrypt my files but I have a program running called CyberReason which blocks it... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Todd, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Todd Win User

Malware Trying to Encrypt my Hard Drives

Hi all,

I have somehow acquired some malware that keeps trying to encrypt my files but I have a program running called CyberReason which blocks it everytime it tries to do its evil deed. Yet it does not clean the ransomware from my PC.

What is the best ransomware cleaner, preferably free?

The ransomware keeps adding folders to all of my drives with different name and tries to hide them. But I can see them since I have Show Hidden Folders enabled. Every time I delete them, they come back with a different name within a minute or so. Here are some of the names:

Adate167
    Zconfig194
    Acdata102
    Xpackage86

Inside these folders are files of various types like "wise align.doc" and "cigarette.liberal.xls" with a total of 10 files in each folder. They amount to 1.68 MB.

I have included wise align.doc as an attachment but I DO NOT advise anyone to open it! I include it only in the hope that someone knows how to analyze it and let me know what the name of this ransomware is.

Does anyone recognise this particular ransomware and know of a good cleaner that will kill it dead?

:)

2. Bitlocker encryption takes long titme on Windows 10

Original title: Encryption of hard drive

Good morning

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 professional, and have been trying to encrypt my hard drive using Bitlocker.

The system has been encrypting for several days now, but still has only managed to encrypt 0.7% of the hard drive.

Is there something blocking or slowing this down, as it seems very slow to me.

The hard drive does have around 91G on it but even so.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Dave Roberts

DavidRoberts7016, Oct 13, 2017
  3. BitLocker

Hi! Recently, I upgraded to Windows 10. I also applied BitLocker on my external hard drive. After the encryption, I tried opening my external hard drive and it says, "The BitLocker encryption on this drive isn't compatible with your version of Windows. try
    opening in a newer version of Windows".

What should I do? Thank you.

ChamTitular, Oct 13, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

Setting aside name calling and politics.......download Malwarebytes, it's free and use the trial period. This will give you real time protection and highly recommend you buying it. Then run it and let it do it's thing and when it finds malware let it clean it. Next, download Norton Power Eraser and run it and select for root kits and a restart will be required. It should find some stuff that's deeply embedded

Plankton, Oct 13, 2017
  5. Todd Win User
    OK, I have tried both of these scanners and the problem still exists. This malware is hidden really well and is putting these folders back on all four of my drives within a minute of my deleting them--with new names of course but still easily identifiable.

Any other ideas?

6. Bree New Member
  7. zbook New Member
  8. Todd Win User

Thanks for your help folks! I really appreciate it!

It will be until at least Saturday night before I can get to trying these solutions.

One problem I have had with the offline AV scanners is that they say they can't remove any viruses they find because Win 10 (latest edition) won't let them access the files in a way that they can delete them.

Does anyone know why this is and how to get around it?

I download the AV program and run it from a CD in its own program before Win 10 can boot. But they just won't delete the viruses they claim to find due to this problem with the latest builds of Win 10, like Creator's Update.

9. cereberus Win User
    Forget trying to remove issue!

Once infected, the bigger issue is what else has been compromised?

Change online passwords immediately, especially banks, ebay, amazon, paypal etc. Do this from another pc or phone etc.

Check those accounts have not ben compromised.

Then forget trying to fix issues. Backup valuable data to an external drive, and do a clean reinstall.

Overkill maybe but it is not a question if you can afford to take time to do this, but whether you can afford NOT to take time.

cereberus, Oct 13, 2017
  10. Borg 386 Win User
    Borg 386, Oct 13, 2017
  11. Plankton Win User
    Yep....totally agree.

Plankton, Oct 13, 2017
  12. simrick Win User
    Can you give us a screenshot of what CyberReason says when it blocks something? Curious to know what this is. Does it happen all the time, or any time, or just when you're visiting certain websites?

simrick, Oct 14, 2017
  13. Todd Win User

OK, here it is. I still haven't been able to delete this bug even after about 10 different AV scans! This one is from today at about 3:50 PM MST, after I deleted the two folders it put up on my C Drive.. *Sad

It came from opening an email in Gmail that said my Facebook account was about to be shut down for lack of activity if I didn't click the enclosed link. That was about a month ago.

14. Samuria Win User
    We need to see results from frst scans there should be 2 files that will tell us whats running doing this

Samuria, Oct 16, 2017
  15. simrick Win User
    Please run FRST.

Farbar Recovery Scan Tool Download

Post the 2 logs here.

Note that this will only give us information - it does not clean at this point.

simrick, Oct 16, 2017
Thema:

1. Malware Trying to Encrypt my Hard Drives - Similar Threads - Malware Trying Encrypt

2. Can malware make it from my hard drive to my one drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can malware make it from my hard drive to my one drive?: A few days ago I attempted to download an emulator for a game and ended up getting a few other files with it. I deleted what I could but 2 applications remained unremovable. I received a notification from google saying an application attempted to download and extension that...
  3. Can malware make it from my hard drive to my one drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can malware make it from my hard drive to my one drive?: A few days ago I attempted to download an emulator for a game and ended up getting a few other files with it. I deleted what I could but 2 applications remained unremovable. I received a notification from google saying an application attempted to download and extension that...
  4. Encrypted External Hard Drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Encrypted External Hard Drive.: I have External WD Drive that I encrypted, some hove confused with use of BitLocker. I need the data on the drive but can not access it any more. Any help-solution please.Thank you.MD...
  5. Secure encryption for removable hard drive?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Secure encryption for removable hard drive?: I'm considering keeping a USB hard drive with some file backups in my car. I'm already backing up my entire computer to a drive in my home office; the car copy would just be critical files as a kind of catastrophic protection (in case of fire, etc). Since there would be...
  6. Secure encryption for removable hard drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Secure encryption for removable hard drive?: I'm considering keeping a USB hard drive with some file backups in my car. I'm already backing up my entire computer to a drive in my home office; the car copy would just be critical files as a kind of catastrophic protection (in case of fire, etc). Since there would be...
  7. can not unlock my hard drive it is encrypted with bitlocker

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can not unlock my hard drive it is encrypted with bitlocker: i encrypted one of my hard drives with bitlocker and my computer crashed and wiped everything but the hard drive that was encrypted with bitlocker i no longer can find the recovery key through command prompt or the password have been trying for months i have data on there i...
  8. encrypt malware

encrypt malware: HOW DO I GET THIS MALWARE OFF MY COMPUTER ENCRYPT I HAVE TRIED MALWARE TO COMBAT IT BUT THAT HAS NOT WORKED https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encrypt-malware/35b3e0c6-2e59-4223-90d0-ac57517b8607"
  9. Encrypting a hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encrypting a hard drive: Good day all, I don't even know if this is the correct place to ask this so if anyone has a better place either on this forum or elsewhere I would appreciate it. Basically I know very little about encryption beyond the basics of what it is. What I'm looking for is a program...
  10. Encrypted Malware

Encrypted Malware: Slightly off topic - I'm running Win10 on a NTFS formatted disk and have another sata connected hd that I use for backup (this backup hd is also formatted NTFS). If I were to open one of these encryption malware emails and it (virtually instantly) encrypted my hd would my 2nd...