Windows 10: Manage remote Hyper-V machine

Discus and support Manage remote Hyper-V machine in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have 2 win 10 pro and considering this setup: Desktop with hyper-v to tun virtual machine laptop with hyper-v management what i can now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by roy111, Sep 7, 2017.

1. roy111 Win User

Manage remote Hyper-V machine

I have 2 win 10 pro and considering this setup:

Desktop with hyper-v to tun virtual machine
    laptop with hyper-v management

what i can now achieve is connect to the desktop with RDP then launch
    hyper-v management in the desktop; using the laptop hyper-v management
    would be more convenient but i cannot connect to the desktop hyper-v
    from the laptop (i.e. i cannot browse the VM list, start/stop etc.)

is it possible to connect to remote hyper-v service using hyper-v management only with win 10 pro?
    it seems to me that it can only be done with a server infrastructure

thanks

:)

roy111, Sep 7, 2017
  2. Andre Da Costa, Sep 7, 2017
  3. RFT OB1 Win User
    Remote Desktop Connection problem with Virtual Machine

We made the big mistake of configuring a WINDOWS-10 VM to allow for Remote Desktop Connections. We are unable to disassociate the VM from RDM. We can no longer access the VM!!! The following is the pertinenet
    information:

• Server is running Windows-10 Professional 64 with Hyper-V installed.
    • VM is Windows-10 Professional 64.
    • In VM allowed Remote Desktop Connections.
    • From server successfully connected to VM via RDM.
    • Closed RDM connection. Unable to access VM.
    • Turned off VM from Hyper-V Manager.
    • Attempted to restart VM, unable to connect via Hyper-V from message box the following is displayed:

Video Remoting was disconnected. The virtual maching is currently using the Remote X 3D video adapter. A user is currently connected via Remote Desktop Connect to the virtual machine by using Remote Desktop Connection.
    • Connected via Remote Desktop Connection. Attempted to turn off allowing Remote Desktop Connection. VM hung.
    • VM Wouldn't turn off via Hyper-V manager.
    • Shutdown host system and rebooted.
    • Unable to connect via console or RDM.
    • Shutdown host system and rebooted.
    • Deleted VM via Hyper-V Manager.
    • Restored VM system disk from backup prior to RDM usage.
    • Created new VM. the messages in itm 7 above are displayed.
    What can be done to recover? Why does Hyper-V retain a broken connection?

RFT OB1, Sep 7, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

lx07, Sep 7, 2017
  5. roy111 Win User
    Thanks for the info lx07.

Is there any security risk applying your procedure? it feels more an hack than
    an actual windows feature ... (?)

roy111, Sep 8, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    I'm not sure what you mean by hack - it is a way to do what you want if you aren't on a domain - it is only standard methods.

If someone compromised one of your computers they would have access to the other (because you store the password) but if one of your computers is compromised that is bad enough not to worry about the other (for me anyway).

Other than that I don't think it is a risk particularly, no.

lx07, Sep 9, 2017
  7. roy111 Win User
    Ok i understand it is a bit unconvenient but it get the job done, thanks!

P.S. what i mean by hack:

Kludge - Wikipedia

roy111, Sep 9, 2017
  8. roy111 Win User

The procedure gives error:

winrm set winrm/config/client @{TrustedHosts="MYPC"}

Error: Invalid use of command line. Type "winrm -?" for help.

EDIT: it works, used is cmd shell

it is not clear what to apply to the server and to the client, I understand you use
    both as server/client but i have a server and a distinct client ...

roy111, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Manage remote Hyper-V machine - Similar Threads - Manage remote Hyper

2. Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager: Hi,I made a Virtual Machine using Hyper-V Manager with VHD attached that is running XP. I do get this message when I start up it up from the image I attached. I was told to add XP IDE files that I extracted. My question is: Will I need to attach these files to the VHD for it...
  3. Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager: Hi,I made a Virtual Machine using Hyper-V Manager with VHD attached that is running XP. I do get this message when I start up it up from the image I attached. I was told to add XP IDE files that I extracted. My question is: Will I need to attach these files to the VHD for it...
  4. Hyper V Manager unable to create new virtual machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper V Manager unable to create new virtual machine: Hyper V Manager is unable to create new virtual machine. When I went and checked the event viewer I found this error message The Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service encountered an unexpected error: %%2147778704 0x80048090....
  5. Hyper V Manager unable to create new virtual machine

Hyper V Manager unable to create new virtual machine: Hyper V Manager is unable to create new virtual machine. When I went and checked the event viewer I found this error message The Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service encountered an unexpected error: %%2147778704 0x80048090....
  6. How to authorize users to manage Hyper-V remotely

How to authorize users to manage Hyper-V remotely: Hello, I've set up a Windows Server 2019 Core machine IP: 192.168.1.6 at home to use as a home server. I've installed Hyper-V in it and added a user called HyperVAdmin. It's in these user groups: Hyper-V Administrators, Remote Management Users, Power Users. I've also used...
  7. Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines: Hi, I was wondering if all I really need to do to backup activated virtual machines but not associated virtual hard drives is just to copy the virtual hard drive folder to another drive (or even one drive) . All I am really interested is in saving the machines which have...
  8. VMware with only Hyper-V Manager

VMware with only Hyper-V Manager: When you have Hyper-V fully installed on a Windows 10 machine, a Standard User can only access Hyper-V via a server connection. This gave me an idea. I was wondering if you could install only Hyper-V Management Tools on the host system and still be able to run VMware. In...
  9. Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?

Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?: As the title indicated, anybody tried running both successfully on Win 10? I've seen people doing that on Win 8 forum( Solved Hyper V and VMWare on the same machine - Page 2 ), so I'm wondering if this method would work on Win 10... Any help/pointers would be great as I...
  10. Hyper-V Manager not available

Hyper-V Manager not available: Hi there, 1. I installed the Hyper-V features (tickmarked all 4 options) and rebooted my system. (My system did some installation, updates etc) 2. After the reboot i can confirm that the hyper-v folders in "C:\Program Files\Hyper-V" appeared. 3. Unfortunately i can not...
Tags: