Windows 10: Manage Space for Windows Backup in Windows 10

Discus and support Manage Space for Windows Backup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Manage Space for Windows Backup in Windows 10 How to Manage Windows Backup Disk Space in Windows 10 [img] Information The Backup and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Manage Space for Windows Backup in Windows 10

How to: Manage Space for Windows Backup in Windows 10

How to Manage Windows Backup Disk Space in Windows 10

Manage Space for Windows Backup in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The Backup and Restore (Windows 7) feature (aka: Windows Backup) was originally included in Windows 7. It was deprecated in Windows 8 and removed in in Windows 8.1, but has been included in Windows 10.

While you can use Backup and Restore (Windows 7) to restore any Windows 7 backups on your Windows 10 PC, you can also use it to back up and restore files on your Windows 10 PC.

Windows Backup will backup all files in the libraries, folders, and drives you choose or let Windows choose. You will have a choice to include a system image in the backup. You can also choose to have these items be backed up on a regular schedule.

After you have set up Windows Backup, you can manage how disk space is used by Windows Backup as needed. You can free up disk space by deleting previously created data file backups and system images.

This tutorial will show you how to manage how disk space is used by Windows Backup for data file backups and system images on your Windows 10 PC.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to manage Windows Backup disk space.

Note Data file backups are created in sets also known as backup periods.

When a backup is created the first time after you set up Windows Backup, Windows will create a full backup of all files in the folders you selected into the drive:\computer name\Backup Set YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS\Backup Files YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder location. The Backup Files YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder contains Backup files #.zip folders that are your actual backed up files for that date and time period.

When you create a differential backup, it will create a new full backup saved into a new Backup Set YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder.

When you create an incremental backup, it will create a backup all of the files that have changed since the last backup, and saved in a new Backup Files YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder in the current Backup Set YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder.

System images are saved in this format:

drive letter:\WindowsImageBackup\computer name\Backup YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS
    EXAMPLE: If your computer name is Brink-W10PC, your backup location is on hard drive (network or local) E: and you backed up on January 23rd 2017 at 5:01:54 PM (it will use 24 hour time), then your system image would be located in the folder below.

E:\WindowsImageBackup\Brink-W10PC\Backup 2017-01-23 190154

Here's How:

1. Open Settings, click/tap on the Update & security icon, click/tap on Backup on the left side, and click/tap on the Go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7) link under Looking for and older backup on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Note You can also open Backup and Restore (Windows 7) by opening the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) icon.

2. Click/tap on the Manage space link. (see screenshot below)

3. Do step 4 (data file backup) and/or step 5 (system image) below for what you want to manage space for. When finished, go to step 6 below.

4. To Manage Space of Data File Backups
    A) Click/tap on the View backups button. (see screenshot below)

Note If the View backups button is grayed out, then it means that you do not have any date file backups available.

B) Select a backup period you want to delete, and click/tap on the Delete button. (see screenshot below)

C) Click/tap on Delete to confirm. (see screenshots below)

Note If you delete the only data file backup for this computer, then you will also have a Delete and run backup now option.

D) Click/tap on Close, and go to step 3 above. (see screenshot below)

5. To Manage Space of System Images
    A) Click/tap on the Change settings button. (see screenshot below)

Note If the Change settings button is grayed out, then it means that you do not have any system images available.

B) Select (dot) what you want for how Windows retains older system images, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

Note If you turned off the schedule for automatic backups, then you will see the left screenshot above.

If you System Protection settings like below.

C) Click/tap on Delete to confirm, and go to step 3 above. (see screenshots below)

6. When finished, click/tap on Close. (see screenshots below)

7. You can now close Backup and Restore (Windows 7) if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 13, 2017
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Scrizz Win User
    Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Manage Space for Windows Backup in Windows 10

Windows 10

its already there. there is a hard set factory image from samsung. problem is it takes a long time to get that backup into the drive again and destroys the C drive data.

so looks like i wont be trying windows 10 anytime soon *Stick Out Tongue Manage Space for Windows Backup in Windows 10 :p

de.das.dude, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Manage Space for Windows Backup in Windows 10

1. Manage Space for Windows Backup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Manage Space Backup

2. Windows Manage Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Manage Storage Spaces: Dear Windows Team,Are there any list of drives which are supported to use manage storage spaces.As I have 10x 5TB WD My Passport Drive all drives shows error while creating for pool like the listed drive doesn't support the pool option.Then which drives should I use?Any...
  3. Windows Manage Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Manage Storage Spaces: Dear Windows Team,Are there any list of drives which are supported to use manage storage spaces.As I have 10x 5TB WD My Passport Drive all drives shows error while creating for pool like the listed drive doesn't support the pool option.Then which drives should I use?Any...
  4. Windows Storage Spaces backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Storage Spaces backup: I'm running an 250 GB Ssd for the os and 2 4TB Hdd' s in a two way mirror with pool size set at 10TB didn't figure i would need more used for gaming and music mostly my question is , what size external Hdd would be ideal for backing up this size pool and some solid but...
  5. Space management in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Space management in Windows 10: Hi, I have 250 GB SSD in my Laptop and at present C: occupying approximately 170 GB and D: 67 GB. My need is to allocate some C: free space to D: like C: to be 130 GB and D: to be 110 GB While trying to shrink C: using Disk Management utility shows only 87 MB of available...
  6. Windows 10 storage space arrray backup software

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 storage space arrray backup software: I have Windows 10 computer with a 4 drive storage space array. I need backup software to back up the storage space. I would like to have both bare metal recovery capability and file and folder backup capability. Would the internal windows image program (Backup and...
  7. Windows Manage storage spaces

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Manage storage spaces: i have a windows 10 pro computer with a storage space set up with 3 drives in a two-way mirror and im wanting to move the storage space drives to a faster computer that im getting ready to build and reinstall windows in vmware vsphere. is there a way that i can move the...
  8. Manage PCs and Backup Files in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Manage PCs and Backup Files in Windows 10: Hi, We are a group of 6 people working out of co-working space which has a common wifi to which everyone connects to (including the 6 of us). I had two questions: First, is there was a way I as the administrator can restrict the other users access and enforce group policies...
  9. Help wanted for managing space for Windows Backup...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Help wanted for managing space for Windows Backup...: I have a 2TB backup disk, and schedule a weekly backup of my USER data only, no system image created. My most recent backup apparently did not complete due to lack of space, per the msg. in Windows Backup... There is a system image on the same disk, presumably in the...
  10. Backup Windows 10 Mobile Phones - Create and Manage

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup Windows 10 Mobile Phones - Create and Manage: How to: Backup Windows 10 Mobile Phones - Create and Manage How to Create and Manage Backups for Windows 10 Mobile Phones When you sign in with your Microsoft account on your Windows 10 Mobile phone, you can turn on a service that lets you automatically save your app...