Windows 10: Mandatory Windows 10 Home updates: The good, the bad, and the ugly

Discus and support Mandatory Windows 10 Home updates: The good, the bad, and the ugly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Mandatory Windows 10 Home updates: The good, the bad, and the potentially ugly If you want to run Windows 10 Home then you will have to agree to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by letmein, Jul 16, 2015.

1. letmein Win User

Mandatory Windows 10 Home updates: The good, the bad, and the ugly

Mandatory Windows 10 Home updates: The good, the bad, and the potentially ugly If you want to run Windows 10 Home then you will have to agree to Microsoft's terms, and those now state that you agree to have updates automatically installed on your system. http://www.zdnet.com/article/mandato...entially-ugly/

:)

letmein, Jul 16, 2015

2. The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Go to this link and it explains everything about sharing in network and homegroup. It is also to help and try and fix the issue in Windows 10 of missing PC's showing in the Network Folder. But in all, it explains about sharing.

How To FIX Missing Computer Icons In Network Folder & Fix Homegroup In Win 10 "UPDATED"

Interesting link, thought it might be the one to fix our problem. Setup a homegroup on my computer after verifying all the sharing buttons. Went to my wife's computer and verified the sharing buttons, then tried to join the homegroup got as far as entering
    the password "Window can't setup a homegroup on this computer."

An interesting observation, on my computer the active network is called Network, on the shop and wife's computers it's called the name of our router.

If you have 2 different networks, then you will not connect with one of the PC's. I can not remember, did you not also say this PC will not connect to internet and network computers.

On this PC with the issue, is it the one connected to your modem/router.

I suggest to remove all mapped network drives on all PC's First.

You need to create a new network on the PC connected to your Modem/router or the main one if all are wireless connected. First unjoin any Homegroups on all PC's, this includes stopping sharing of personal files and devices. Then you need to restart all the
    PC's and log on to them. disconnect all PC's from the Modem/router or internet. Shut them all down but the main one.

Then create a new network on Main PC

go to:

Action Center>>All Settings>>Network and Internet>>Status

And select Reset Network

Restart PC and log on and then reboot Modem/router, restart PC again and log on.

Check for internet connection status.

Then go to other PC's, one PC at a time, and reset their network, restart them and log on. Keep the main one logged on at all times.

If all PC's connect to internet then restart all of them again and log on to all of them.

Then you can follow the procedures for sharing from my link. If you are good connecting to each others PC's through the network folder to their Public folders (Which you may have to enter the User and Password connecting to other PC's the first time and
    save remember credentials), then you can go to step 2.

Step 2 will now be setting up Home group, If you have any issues creating password or joining Homegroup, then use the info on my link towards bottom for resetting the Homegroup and follow it exactly.

Let me know what the deal is.

Do not worry about manually naming any network connections.

Do not check the box remember credentials if you have to do this first time to access other Network PC's and their Public folders until you know you have entered the correct user name and password. then close out, open it again, enter the info and select
    to remember credentials.

seahawks65, Jul 16, 2015
  3. Gymbos Win User
    The good, the bad, and the ugly!

What does mapping network drive have anything to do with this. I do not believe it does. You want some good advice, I would never ever create a mapped network drive. There is no reason for it and it is just a precursor to corrupt system files and problems.

If you want a clean install of Version 1703 then select that with the media creation tool, if you can still install older version. But you will be forced to install 1709 through windows update. You are better off installing a clean install of 1709 as I mentioned.

Mapping network drives has everything to do with it, every upgrade trashes my home network. Your good advice falls on deaf ears, we are not experts, we learned about networking probably with Windows Xp, it has worked for us for many years and we don't want
    to send a lot of time learning anything new, which by the way we don't even know what that would be. And if mapping network drives is a precursor to corrupt system files then I would blame Windows 10 for that. It sounds to me that if it ain't broke - break
    it!

For anyone else reading this thread, a clean install requires reinstall all of your software, so be sure you know all of your product keys, registration info, and passwords. Give yourself a lot of time, and if it's some else's computer you may be in big
    trouble if you don't handle it gently.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from, we had a perfectly good home network, our backups were working fine, my wife needs a picture printed she could put in our Xfer folder, I have another computer in my workshop where can look at a CAD drawing on
    my office computer ( I can still do that, but for how long). Now I clean install means sitting down with my wife, finding out which programs she has that has to reinstall right away make sure all registration info is available, were, looking at several long
    days of work - that is not fun.

Gymbos, Jul 16, 2015
  4. Boozad Win User

That was made clear months ago, even if you have Pro you can only defer updates for a certain period of time.

Boozad, Jul 16, 2015
  5. letmein Win User
    Do you think that with these updates that Microsoft may install bloatware to make up for the free O.S. sorta like when you buy a OEM machine ?

letmein, Jul 16, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Ah.. I doubt it and what kind of bloatware are you referring to?

BunnyJ, Jul 16, 2015
  7. nt62 Win User
    In Home, typically MMC programming a.k.a. example - gpedit.msc - is not available.
    In Pro, all *.msc programs are available.

Not that it is a good idea, because Windows 10 needs updates that fix things,
    but ALL updates can be blocked permanently.
    The policy setting in 10 is the same as the policy setting in 7 and 8.

Windows Update Automatic Updates - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

The setting is DISABLED. (not recommended)
    Nothing is forced. Everything is blocked.
    I have tested this on systems. No updates happen.

8. Mandatory Windows 10 Home updates: The good, the bad, and the ugly

In general I don't have an issue with having forced updates (would like drivers to be optional though), my machines are currently setup to install automatically

For the future I could possibly see them force installing apps, similar to the MSN ones, but they are easily got rid of if not needed

paulsalter, Jul 16, 2015
  9. letmein Win User
    No specific bloatware, just some way to make up for the free upgrade.

letmein, Jul 16, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    They'll make up for it in cost savings by having one OS to maintain and develop in the future. That's how.

BunnyJ, Jul 16, 2015
  11. Boozad Win User
    How would MS filling your machine with crap make up for giving away a free upgrade?

Boozad, Jul 16, 2015
  12. letmein Win User
    Let's say MS installed a desktop icon / app for a free trial of Norton, you can see they would get a commission for those who choose to buy Norton after the trial. But like a previous post said my point is moot since I should be able to uninstall the icon / app. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

letmein, Jul 16, 2015
  13. Mandatory Windows 10 Home updates: The good, the bad, and the ugly

it's an interesting point on apps though

On my 8.1 I have the Skype app as optional update, if all updates are forced would Skype be installed on my machine

and if I uninstalled, would windows update put it back again

paulsalter, Jul 16, 2015
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    I had the same issue and I uninstalled Skype and if it showed up again as an optional update I put it on hide and it never showed up again.

BunnyJ, Jul 16, 2015
  15. You can block driver updates by following this.

fracking4oil, Jul 16, 2015
Thema:

1. Mandatory Windows 10 Home updates: The good, the bad, and the ugly - Similar Threads - Mandatory Home updates

2. Automatic Updates Good or Bad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Updates Good or Bad?: Hello.So, since Windows XP, there was an automatic updates feature. But I'm one of those people who DON'T like it. I just want to see your opinion about this feature....
  3. Automatic Updates Good or Bad?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic Updates Good or Bad?: Hello.So, since Windows XP, there was an automatic updates feature. But I'm one of those people who DON'T like it. I just want to see your opinion about this feature....
  4. FS2O20 Mandatory update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FS2O20 Mandatory update: I just installed this update and it changed how all the buttons work like altitude, vertical speed. You know have to scroll with the mouse wheel to change and cannot set the height/speed like before. I can adjust the altitude but not put the botton to set it as the new...
  5. Window 10 Mandatory Update FAILED

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window 10 Mandatory Update FAILED: Microsoft pushed down a mandatory update due to my current version end of life. I pushed off the update as long as I could and then I was not given an option to extend the upgrade. I restarted my PC as indicated and came back hours later to see my PC booting and rebooting...
  6. A good but A BAD update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A good but A BAD update: Hi!Yesterday I updated my windows from Win7 to Win10.When i opened windows explorer I saw that my disk D: is missing..I tryed to update the drivers or search for it in Disk Management but i can t find it. I opened the command prompt and type diskpart..Here i search for my...
  7. signing in as administrator, good or bad?

in Windows 10 Customization
    signing in as administrator, good or bad?: I've been told I should not be signing in as an administrator on my laptop when I'm going to be using the internet. Is that true? If so, how do I sign in on my laptop without administrator privileges?...
  8. Ugly home network components.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ugly home network components.: (This is maybe pure "Chum" but I'll put it out there anyway.) Why are cable modems and routers so ugly? First the two I have are black, secondly they are odd sized - do they have to be that big? Jeez the last modem card I had was a half sized midget! By way of explanation...
  9. one good one bad

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    one good one bad: I have two pc's running W10, one updated to 10049 while I was having dinner by itself without any help from me so I started up the other and set it to update and its been a disaster. At the moment, if I switch it on, eventually I get a message saying please insert your...
  10. Apps - The Good Bad & the Ugly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps - The Good Bad & the Ugly.: Hi, Not asking anyone to solve this problem really but just wishing to raise the subject of problematic Apps which for me are spoiling my satisfaction of Windows 10. Windows 10 for me is working fine and I like it. that is all but the Apps which are a complete pain. Here is...