Windows 10: Manually edit tile icons in Start Menu?

Discus and support Manually edit tile icons in Start Menu? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I've been searching for a while but I couldn't find sufficient answers on how to do this. Is there a tutorial to manually make and set... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JohnnyGui, Mar 29, 2017.

1. JohnnyGui Win User

Manually edit tile icons in Start Menu?

Hello,

I've been searching for a while but I couldn't find sufficient answers on how to do this.

Is there a tutorial to manually make and set tile icons for 3rd party programs that fill up the tiles as a whole just like Store app icons, without using any editing software?
    The reason I want to do this manually is because the apps in the Windows Store that can edit these icons have to pop up every time I start the program that I have edited its icon with the editing app. This seems to be something that can't be disabled.
    Oblytile seemed to be a good editing app that doesn't pop up every time you start up the program you've edited its icon of, but unfortunately it's not compatible with Windows 10 anymore.

Also, if there is an editing app that doesn't pop up, I'd really like it to be able to also make wide tiles (not just small or medium squared tiles) since many editing apps don't support that.

Looking forward to answers on this.

:)

JohnnyGui, Mar 29, 2017

2. Can I edit the tiles to either show names that I can relate to or import icons

*O.T.> Start menu tile

On the start menu tiles can I edit the tiles to either show names that I can relate to or import icons that I can understand. Using Windows 10 on surface pro 4

Rick Edwards 001, Mar 29, 2017
  3. John_L. Win User
    Why do my Windows Phone 8 tiles change position by themselves

Hello V-Bmyers,

If you watch the video, at 1:37 you can see him flipping the phone over and the tile on the top left is in "edit" mode where it shows the "remove pin" and "minimize/maximize" round icons that are black and white on the right side of the tile.

As for "random" moving tiles, this was because this particular person held his phone in a way that part of his hand was on a tile and placed it in "edit" mode and his hand moved the tile up and to the left. You will notice an empty tile to the right of the
    large tile at the top.

If you happen to keep your phone in your hand while the "Start" page is up, you might be causing the phone to have the "Start" page in edit mode. This allows you to move tiles, resize tiles, and remove tiles from the "Start" Page.

Hopefully this solves the mystery of your changing tiles.

John

John_L., Mar 29, 2017
  4. Cliff S New Member

Tutorial from @Hopachi he made at Eight Forums: Solved Custom Tiles (for Desktop Apps)

And her in Ten Forums, where I learned fro him and created and posted some of mine: Windows 10 Themes created by Ten Forums members - Page 121 - Solved - Windows 10 Forums

<Application xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'>
    <VisualElements
    ShowNameOnSquare150x150Logo='on'
    Square150x150Logo='chrome.png'
    Square70x70Logo='chrome.png'
    ForegroundText='light'
    BackgroundColor='#343434'/>
    </Application>

Save as Program name(get from the executable).VisualElementsManifest

For Chrome it was chrome.VisualElementsManifest

You need to get/use a .png icon 256x256 pixels and give it the exact name(case sensitive) as the program executable (.exe) has and also use that exact name when creating your XML manifest file.

The place both files in the same exact folder as the .exe, delete the original old files, or better yet cut and paste them to a folder in Documents for saf keeping if you start having problems getting it to work.

from Hopachi:
    *Smile):
    firefox tile pack.zip

Cliff S, Mar 29, 2017
  5. JohnnyGui Win User

JohnnyGui, Mar 29, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome, no it doesn't, as the large and wide are reserved for UWP apps only.

Cliff S, Mar 29, 2017
  7. JohnnyGui Win User
    Ah, that's a real bummer. Really would have wanted that. The editing apps in the Windows Store do make that possible. Is this the reason why it's only possible to create wide tiles if the editing app opens along with the app that you've editied its icon of?

JohnnyGui, Mar 29, 2017
  8. Cliff S New Member

I have never used it, so I couldn't say, sorry*Sad

Cliff S, Mar 29, 2017
  9. JohnnyGui Win User
    No problem. Thank you very much for the help nonetheless.

Perhaps someone else knows a workaround to enable wide and large tiles for apps without having to launch the editing program every time I start the app?

JohnnyGui, Mar 29, 2017
  10. JohnnyGui Win User
    Sorry for bothering again. I've been trying to make an icon but it just wouldn't work. Pinning and unpinning doesn't solve it either. Here's a screenshot of the files:

Manually edit tile icons in Start Menu? [​IMG]

The .xml file looks like this:

<Application xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'>
    <VisualElements
    ShowNameOnSquare150x150Logo='on'
    Square150x150Logo='Rayman2.png'
    Square70x70Logo='Rayman2.png'
    ForegroundText='light'
    BackgroundColor='#5AADC8'/>
    </Application>

The PNG file is 256x256 and 111kb.

What am I doing wrong here?

JohnnyGui, Mar 29, 2017
  11. Cliff S New Member
    When you unpin, restart your pc to clear the cache, then repin.
    If that doesn't do it, unpin, go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and delete the icon there, restart, then repin the .exe to start menu.

It(the icon can also be in C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Cliff S, Mar 30, 2017
  12. JohnnyGui Win User
    Great, I'll try that. Thanks again for your help!

JohnnyGui, Apr 1, 2017
  13. Cliff S New Member

Your welcome*Smile

Cliff S, Apr 1, 2017
  14. Hopachi Win User
    Yep!
    That is by design made this way:

How to customize Start screen tiles for desktop apps (Windows Runtime apps) - Windows app development

Hopachi, Apr 14, 2017
  15. Hopachi Win User
    *Ditto
    Following my previous post:
    The large tiles you make with editing apps from the store create live tiles that are allowed to be wide and large because they create those tiles in their name. And since those editing apps are real apps and no desktop exes, they are allowed to claim the extra space, playing by the rules. That's why they always have to open first, it's their tiles... Then they do the extra magic pointing to your non-store app, of course. *Smile

This may eventually change or evolve to a point where the tile starter app will be blazing fast-loading and practically invisible or non-splashy hidden at launch.
    But as long as the rules remain the same, a pure hand-crafted tile for desktop apps is only allowed up to medium size.

Hopachi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Manually edit tile icons in Start Menu? - Similar Threads - Manually edit tile

2. How to change Start menu tile icon

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change Start menu tile icon: I want to change the Settings tile to the new 10X settings icon. Can you help me with this? submitted by /u/stadiafan37 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hpt37v/how_to_change_start_menu_tile_icon/
  3. Editing Start menu tile sizes

in Windows 10 Support
    Editing Start menu tile sizes: Is there a way to change the two square tile sizes offered? Currently, they are 150px and 50px. I would like to reduce the larger to 75px, which would would be a legible solution for laptop displays. 159617
  4. Start Menu Tiles and their Icons - How to fill entire tile with Icon?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Tiles and their Icons - How to fill entire tile with Icon?: I have 3 shortcuts to websites... specifically links to Zoom conferences. I have pinned these shortcuts to the start menu as small tiles. I made 3 icons, one for each, in Illustrator, saved as PNG, then ran them through Gimp to save as Icons. Gimp has changed a LOT since I...
  5. Start menu icons background edit

Start menu icons background edit: I'm trying to make the start menu look more or less color-consistent, but some apps in the list stand out and create contrast. Is there a way to edit the icon background to make it the same blue as the rest in the list? I know how to change the shortcut icon but couldn't find...
  6. How to assign icon to start menu tile.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to assign icon to start menu tile.: I've got an old app from Everett Kaiser called Sherlock. I've got the app pinned to my start menu. The icon is a smoking Calibaster pipe. Recently the app icon changed to what I would describe as a white page. I've tried to unpin from start and repinned from app on c: drive,...
  7. How to edit url of live tile on start menu ?

How to edit url of live tile on start menu ?: I pinned tiles to the start menu from Edge, but they don't always work; when I click on them sometimes the url for some inexplicable reason becomes truncated so I get Edge's version of a 404 and I have to type the correct url into the address bar, then pin it again, which...
  8. Start menu tiles reverted to the browser icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu tiles reverted to the browser icon: A couple weeks ago my Windows 10 had a big update. When the computer restarted, my START menu icons (maybe they are called tiles) reverted to to the browser icon. This happened to most tiles in my START menu, which opened a website. See the screen shot below. All of these...
  9. cannot edit tiles in windows Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot edit tiles in windows Start menu: Hi all, Wired issues popping up now... *Smile I cannot seem to be able to edit the tiles in the start menu. I cannot move, resize and add tiles. I've checked the register for a value that disables edit in Policies Explorer under HKLM and HKCU and I have nothing...
  10. Web site icons on start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Web site icons on start menu tiles: Is it possible to change the edge icon on the tile to one from a web site such as Google or Ccleaner etc. on a small tile. Some come that way automatically, but for others one has to hover the mouse over to see the text. [img] 30597

Users found this page by searching for:

1. manually editing the windows 10 start menu all apps