Windows 10: Mapping network drive fails

Discus and support Mapping network drive fails in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, My wife and I have our computers networked to each other, until recently there were no problems, she asked to print some photos for her, told me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rboppy, Dec 14, 2016.

1. rboppy Win User

Mapping network drive fails

Hi,

My wife and I have our computers networked to each other, until recently there were no problems, she asked to print some photos for her, told me where they were, so I went to the S: drive (her mapped drive) and up popped a window asking to enter network credentials. This is new, my password doesn't work, her password doesn't work.

There have been two upgrades to Windows over the past few days, have they added new security measures, how do I get around this?

:)

rboppy, Dec 14, 2016

2. Copying or moving files to and from a mapped network drive fails in Windows 10 Home

Hello,

The issue is not that I haven't been able to map the network drive but the fact that copying or moving files to the network drive fails. The error message regarding the network drive not being available pops up during the copy/move process.

//Matthias

Matthias Andersson, Dec 14, 2016
  3. ipellant Win User
    Windows 10: Mapped network drives not showing up until sign out/restart?

the MS preferred way is to use the far end of the alphabet when mapping network drives - that's why their default letter to map is "Z".

However:

My network server is set up with 4 physical drives with several partitions and shares. All of the drives and partitions follow an old mapping system I've used for the past decade... It just so happens I mapped E:\ on the network server to be E:\ on the laptop.
    It worked until the network drive was unavailable.; then the laptop balked. I'm sure that was never a problem with WinXP.

The fault seems to be in the drive letter mapping between network and removable drives not being resolved properly. If it fails it does not self-clean as it did in Windows XP.

USB drives can be mapped to specific drive letters... I only do that when a particular USB stick is used for say "Plans" and I want it to have the same letter (say P:\) on every computer in the hive. But plug in a fresh USB drive and then have to Disk Management
    it... well... as you say: "frustrating"

Cheers,

Ian

ipellant, Dec 14, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

make it simple set up your account on her pc same username and password by default winos passes the details your logged in with

Samuria, Dec 14, 2016
  5. rboppy Win User
    Wish it was simple, her computer is a hand be down from me, my account is still on her computer...

rboppy, Dec 14, 2016
  6. rboppy Win User
    Oops, just logged into my wife’s computer and discovered that my user named changed in W10 to my Google email account (don’t remember why). So mapping to her computer worked just fine using my original user name. This doesn’t explain why it quit working after one of the last W10 updates, but I can now print her pictures!

rboppy, Dec 14, 2016
  7. rboppy Win User
    Oops, just logged into my wife’s computer and discovered that my user named changed in W10 to my Google email account (don’t remember why). So mapping to her computer worked just fine using my original user name. This doesn’t explain why it quit working after one of the last W10 updates, but I can now print her pictures!

rboppy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Mapping network drive fails - Similar Threads - Mapping network drive

2. Map network drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Map network drive: I have been trying to mount one of my home directory on my computer. For that , I have to use Map network drive but I could not find in my file explorer. Now, what should I do to get that option back on my computer?...
  3. Network drive mappings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network drive mappings: I have a vintage NAS: Blackarmor 220. I have to use drive mappings to access files on the drive because Microsoft decided I couldn't use what used to work. Periodically, a new version of Windows 11 is installed and all of my drive mappings to my NAS stop working. Often, I can...
  4. Mapping Network Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapping Network Drives: Both my PC and my Wife's laptop are running Win 11 with no problems.I managed to map the laptop C drive to my PC but when I tried the other way around I accidentally mapped my public drive to her laptop.I have unmapped it; however, when I try to map my C drive to her laptop,...
  5. Mapping Network Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapping Network Drives: Both my PC and my Wife's laptop are running Win 11 with no problems.I managed to map the laptop C drive to my PC but when I tried the other way around I accidentally mapped my public drive to her laptop.I have unmapped it; however, when I try to map my C drive to her laptop,...
  6. Mapping a network drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mapping a network drive: I'm trying to connect to a webdav server via the "map network drive feature". I feel like i've had success in the past with entering https://192.168.1.45:5201<---- thats not a real link I can connect to it everywhere else... submitted by /u/rexlx [link] [comments]...
  7. Mapping a network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapping a network drive: I am trying to map a network drive from one Windows 10 PC to a shared USB drive on another Windows 10 PC. I have two USB drives in this PC. One I can share successfully. When I try to map to the other one it keeps asking for Windows credentials. I have password protected...
  8. Network drives not mapping

Network drives not mapping: Windows 10 1909. I set up a few network drive maps via explorer with the box checked to reconnect at logon. When the user logs in the drive maps aren't there any more, which is really annoying because some of the apps come from the server. I've seen other posts that say I...
  9. Map Network drive

Map Network drive: Having an issue with mapping network drive with my local Netgear device. The id/password for attaching to the netgear device is local to the device and is not joined to a domain. My windows 10 laptop is joined to a domain. When I try to map a drive, such as...
  10. Map Network Drive

Map Network Drive: What to do with the following error: "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occured: We can't sign you in with this credential because your domain isn't available. Make sure your device is connected to your organization's network...