Windows 10: Maps App - Directions can't find any starting location

Discus and support Maps App - Directions can't find any starting location in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I almost never use the apps MS supplies. Reading a post, I thought I'd try Maps, and in particular its Directions feature. However, the starting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by dalchina, Jun 4, 2018.

1. dalchina Win User

Maps App - Directions can't find any starting location

Hi, I almost never use the apps MS supplies. Reading a post, I thought I'd try Maps, and in particular its Directions feature.

However, the starting point can never be found. I get
    I've tried a couple of major national landmarks such as Tower Bridge, also Birmingham New Street (for which it can produce pictures and info); also my address and location.

My Android smart phone does well one this with various apps- but not my PC. Any thoughts? Thanks!

:)

dalchina, Jun 4, 2018

2. Dynamically updating directions when using the Maps app

When using the Directions feature of the Maps app to generate directions from "My Location", some steps in the directions include distances to the next step. This is great, but this distance is not updated while driving, which means that it might say 20
    mi when the directions are generated, and still say 20 mi when you are only 0.5 mi when you are almost to the next step. This can sometimes make the directions confusing, or even cause you to miss the turn or exit or whatever, because you don't realize you
    are almost there. Your location on the map (the blue dot in a diamond) automatically moves to display your current location, so I don't see why the directions can't also get automatically updated so that distances stay correct (and, also, if you go off course,
    regenerated, so you don't need to specifically ask to have them regenerated).

Several other additions to the Maps' Directions feature that I would like to see, although not quite as important, are:

1. Arrows on the blue line showing which direction you will be heading at each point.

2. The ability to control whether you see the just the map, just the directions, or both.

3. Slightly more compact or distinct steps in the list of directions. I would rather see two steps that say "X Ave" with a turn left icon and "Y Ave" with a turn left icon than one step that says "X Ave and immediately turn left onto Y Ave" with a double
    left turn icon. I think that having only one street name per step (at least in the main heading of the step, I don't care if other street names are used or mentioned in the subtext/details of the step) makes it clearer what you need to do at each step.

Nathan Sokalski, Jun 4, 2018
  3. my location on maps app is wrong.

Hi Don,

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Kindly follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Type Location privacy settings in search bar
      and click on Location privacy settings.
    • Here you can enable/disable the Location.
    • You may try to Enable/Disable the Maps app to use the

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Karthicka_R, Jun 4, 2018
Thema:

Maps App - Directions can't find any starting location

1. Maps App - Directions can't find any starting location - Similar Threads - Maps App Directions

2. Find My Device map showswrong location

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Find My Device map showswrong location: I am sitting at my laptop in Utah, and the “find my device”map shows that my laptop is in California, where I happened to be two weeksago. What can I do to make this feature accurate? I’d like to really be able tofind my laptop if I ever need to.Thanks for any help....
  3. MS Maps App Wrong Location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS Maps App Wrong Location: Hi: You have a problem with your location finder for Maps and Find My Device. Bing, I set it manually so it is alright. Google Maps finds my precise location fine. I've tried resetting everything within windows for Maps, but the problem seems to be on your end. When I do...
  4. Maps app can't get directions

Maps app can't get directions: The Windows 10 app usually slows to a crawl on my Dell laptop when I request directions. It can usually find a destination, but when I select another location to find directions from, it spins forever saying "getting directions," but an hour later it'll still be saying that....
  5. Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps: I moved from Pennsylvania to New York 2 months ago. Geolocation is incorrect in Weather app, Maps app, Firefox desktop on Windows 10, it gives off my OLD address. Random sites that ask for location that is. Clean Windows 10 Install Clean Firefox Install Not behind VPN...
  6. Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps: I moved from Pennsylvania to New York 2 months ago. Geolocation is incorrect in Weather app, Maps app, Firefox desktop on Windows 10, it gives off my OLD address. Random sites that ask for location that is. Clean Windows 10 Install Clean Firefox Install Not behind VPN...
  7. Unable to start any apps located in WindowsApps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to start any apps located in WindowsApps: Hi, Since a few weeks I have been unable to access apps located in the hidden 'Program Files/WindowsApps/' folder. Apps such as Skype and Acer Care Centre give the following error when started: "The parameter is incorrect" I have already done a factory reset of Windows,...
  8. Map app can not calculate directions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Map app can not calculate directions: My map app cannot give me directions for some needed routes. Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/map-app-can-not-calculate-directions/57f0b3a2-18d9-48ff-99a1-1f4714fb8ad6
  9. Maps app travel time in directions function?

Maps app travel time in directions function?: Maps direction function results show travel time. Is the "heavy or moderate traffic hours" in parentheses included in the total shown??...
  10. finding saved maps in Map app

finding saved maps in Map app: I read the thread which explained how to download offline maps. That not the problem, and I've downloaded 2 maps. Unfortunately the thread didn't answer the question regarding using those maps. I see that they are downloaded in the Settings section, but I don't see any menu...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows phone maps app couldnt find match