Windows 10: Marking files

Discus and support Marking files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, I was wondering if anyone could help with the following; I've downloaded a mod for a video game and long story short I have to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Alchemical, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Marking files

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could help with the following;

I've downloaded a mod for a video game and long story short I have to manually move a number of files from one folder to another when I want to play with the mod, and then delete those files when I wish to play the basic game again. This is because of a combination of how the mod/mod manager works and the fact that I have my steam and steam games in separate drives to make best use of my SSD.

So as I expect to be switching between the mod and the vanilla game regularly, I was wondering what I can do to make this process easier. Basically there are a lot of files with long and often similar and complex names which go into the folder to activate the mod. A lot of the other files in the folder are regularly updated by the game so I can't just order the folder by last modified and select the right number, I have to find each individual file and remove it manually and if I remove the wrong file I have to go into Steam and reinstall them.

Ideally I'd like to somehow mark these files for quick identification and selection each time I put them in the folder, so when I come to delete them I have a simple function I can perform to select the right files. Obviously I can't change the names of the files as the game would not work, is there some way of cosmetically marking a group of files for later selection without affecting functionality in any way or moving them into a different folder?

Thanks for your time

Alch

:)

Alchemical, Apr 14, 2016

2. Windows keeps marking files and folders as read only

If you're talking about the checkbox in the Folder Properties dialog, it's virtually meaningless.

Switch your Explorer view to Details, then add the "Attributes" column. Are you seeing an "R" there?

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Apr 14, 2016
  3. Windows keeps marking files and folders as read only

Hi KeithM-60601,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The detail section only lists the default details i.e. date modified, type and size I haven't checked any other boxes, although following your comment I tried checking the protected box and the read status boxes but they don't show anything.

What makes you say the checkbox is virtually meaningless?

Hammy'sDad, Apr 14, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Marking files

There used to be ways of doing this, but not available in Win 10. Perhaps somewhere there is a program..
    The Comments column in explorer doesn't seem usable.

However, I can add comments in a Comments column using XYplorer as my file manager...

RecentX claims to support tags- haven't tried to understand this.
    Tag Files & Tag Folders in Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP

dalchina, Apr 15, 2016
Thema:

Marking files

1. Marking files - Similar Threads - Marking files

2. Bootrec fix/mbr marked as incorrect function.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bootrec fix/mbr marked as incorrect function.: My laptop is missing the winload.efi file. I have gotten to CMD though, and am trying to use the bootrec fix/mbr command yet its marked as an incorrect function. I'm not very good with technology but I haven't been able to find anything regarding the command being listed as...
  3. Blue Question Mark Over Internal D:\ Drive In Laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blue Question Mark Over Internal D:\ Drive In Laptop: I have been having this problem for the past day where the D:\ drive randomly disconnects and randomly reconnects for about a few minutes and then disconnects again. I tried restarting my laptop, shutting it down completely, and I checked most disk management / reset...
  4. check marks and x's in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    check marks and x's in file explorer?: What are the check marks and x's at the corner of files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/check-marks-and-xs-in-file-explorer/f5c7e789-752f-420e-9914-97a028e6896e"
  5. A file called MusNotifyIcon.exe with red exclamation mark keeps popping up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A file called MusNotifyIcon.exe with red exclamation mark keeps popping up: I had this problem for like a week. This MusNotifyIcon keeps popping up whenever I start Windows. It makes the Windows Defender shows "Action needed", but when I check, everything is still normal. [ATTACH][ATTACH] When I click this icon, it says "your device is missing...
  6. Error 2753, The file is not marked for installation

in Windows 10 News
    Error 2753, The file is not marked for installation: [ATTACH] When you try to install any program on your Windows 10 computer, you might get an Error 2753. Sometimes, the packages are corrupt, or maybe those packages are not working properly or are not able to create files and paths. [...] This post Error 2753, The file is not...
  7. How To Remove Blue Question Mark From File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How To Remove Blue Question Mark From File Explorer?: Is there a way to remove this blue question mark button from File Explorer? I never press it, and usually whenever I need help with fixing stuff on the computer, that question mark is the least likely button that will help me out, lol. Thanks! [img] 75442
  8. How visualize too big files of windows explorer and mark them...

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How visualize too big files of windows explorer and mark them...: How visualize too big files of windows explorer and mark them to a following action that may be to anex to mail or to anex to a post in a forum like this - [img] https://i.imgur.com/OU6JRtt.png 53157
  9. How do I restore text that changed to question marks on wordpad file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I restore text that changed to question marks on wordpad file: [img] 70705
  10. Removing OneDrive Green Check Mark Icons in Windows 10 file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing OneDrive Green Check Mark Icons in Windows 10 file explorer: Hi, Does anyone know if one can remove the green check marks in file explorer that indicate that a file is synced on OneDrive? If one is using list, details or small icon view, there is no way to visually see the file type. Thanks, Paul 33068