Windows 10: Marking files

Discus and support Marking files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, I was wondering if anyone could help with the following; I've downloaded a mod for a video game and long story short I have to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Alchemical, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Marking files

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could help with the following;

I've downloaded a mod for a video game and long story short I have to manually move a number of files from one folder to another when I want to play with the mod, and then delete those files when I wish to play the basic game again. This is because of a combination of how the mod/mod manager works and the fact that I have my steam and steam games in separate drives to make best use of my SSD.

So as I expect to be switching between the mod and the vanilla game regularly, I was wondering what I can do to make this process easier. Basically there are a lot of files with long and often similar and complex names which go into the folder to activate the mod. A lot of the other files in the folder are regularly updated by the game so I can't just order the folder by last modified and select the right number, I have to find each individual file and remove it manually and if I remove the wrong file I have to go into Steam and reinstall them.

Ideally I'd like to somehow mark these files for quick identification and selection each time I put them in the folder, so when I come to delete them I have a simple function I can perform to select the right files. Obviously I can't change the names of the files as the game would not work, is there some way of cosmetically marking a group of files for later selection without affecting functionality in any way or moving them into a different folder?

Thanks for your time

Alch

:)

Alchemical, Apr 14, 2016

2. Windows keeps marking files and folders as read only

If you're talking about the checkbox in the Folder Properties dialog, it's virtually meaningless.

Switch your Explorer view to Details, then add the "Attributes" column. Are you seeing an "R" there?

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Apr 14, 2016
  3. Windows keeps marking files and folders as read only

Hi KeithM-60601,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The detail section only lists the default details i.e. date modified, type and size I haven't checked any other boxes, although following your comment I tried checking the protected box and the read status boxes but they don't show anything.

What makes you say the checkbox is virtually meaningless?

Hammy'sDad, Apr 14, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Marking files

There used to be ways of doing this, but not available in Win 10. Perhaps somewhere there is a program..
    The Comments column in explorer doesn't seem usable.

However, I can add comments in a Comments column using XYplorer as my file manager...

RecentX claims to support tags- haven't tried to understand this.
    Tag Files & Tag Folders in Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP

dalchina, Apr 15, 2016
Thema:

Marking files

1. Marking files - Similar Threads - Marking files

2. Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved my on Win10 laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved my on Win10 laptop: ello Friends, Please guide/ help with this issue. Initially, I had these files saved on my One Drive. Some time ago, I downloaded these files to my old Win-10 laptop I am not using OneDrive any longer. I just tried to access these files saved on my laptop, I see these files...
  3. Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved on my Win10 laptop

Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved on my Win10 laptop: Hello Friends,Please guide/ help with this issue. Initially, I had these files saved on my One Drive. Some time ago, I downloaded these files to my old Win-10 laptop.I am not using OneDrive any longer. I just tried to access these files saved on my laptop, I see these files...
  4. Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved my on Win10 laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved my on Win10 laptop: ello Friends, Please guide/ help with this issue. Initially, I had these files saved on my One Drive. Some time ago, I downloaded these files to my old Win-10 laptop I am not using OneDrive any longer. I just tried to access these files saved on my laptop, I see these files...
  5. Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved on my Win10 laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved on my Win10 laptop: Hello Friends,Please guide/ help with this issue. Initially, I had these files saved on my One Drive. Some time ago, I downloaded these files to my old Win-10 laptop.I am not using OneDrive any longer. I just tried to access these files saved on my laptop, I see these files...
  6. Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved my on Win10 laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved on my Win10 laptop

8. The file name " quotation mark search/rename quirk?

The file name " quotation mark search/rename quirk?: I hope Windows doesn't fix this after I've pointed it out, because it's convenient for finding a file quickly, as it automatically puts it alphabetically at the top of the list of file names in a folder, making it easy to find...I don't know if this works in Win11The items...
  9. The file name " quotation mark search/rename quirk?

The file name " quotation mark search/rename quirk?: I hope Windows doesn't fix this after I've pointed it out, because it's convenient for finding a file quickly, as it automatically puts it alphabetically at the top of the list of file names in a folder, making it easy to find...I don't know if this works in Win11The items...
  10. The file name " quotation mark search/rename quirk?

in Windows 10 Gaming