Windows 10: Master Templates in Office?

Discus and support Master Templates in Office? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I seem to remember using MS Word Template files where I could set things like margins, headers fonts etc and save such a template and add it to the... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by bra10n, Nov 29, 2016.

1. bra10n Win User

Master Templates in Office?

I seem to remember using MS Word Template files where I could set things like margins, headers fonts etc and save such a template and add it to the right click > New menu. This is going back some time mind, late '90's perhaps...

The beauty of this method was as you could never override the template itself you were greeted with the open doc and at close you were prompted for a 'save-as' and location. The default action of the right click > New MS Word Doc simply creates a "New Microsoft Word Document" in whatever directory you happen to be in.

Is this still possible with Office365 and if so how?

TIA

:)

bra10n, Nov 29, 2016

2. Deleting Templates 6303

Delete Template

Messaging/ Delete messages/ By Message/ templates/ Highlight message/ Yes

Edit Template

Messaging/ Create Message/ templates/ make a note of the title/ Use/ Options/ Editing Options/ cut/
    scroll to editing point / start/ options/ Save Message/ as Template/
    give new name

Delete old Template

RobBlackburn---01, Nov 29, 2016
  3. 7thSense Win User
    templates required in Messaging

There are multiple apps for this in the Marketplace, simply search the marketplace for
    templates and you'll hopefully find one that suits you.

7thSense, Nov 29, 2016
  4. bra10n Win User

Ok found some tutorials on here that show how to add Microsoft Word Template to the right click menu "New", but I still have the template being created in the folder I happen to be in. Is there anyway to edit the registry to have this only open the template. I seem to recall this is the reason I had to create Word and Excel shortcuts and then just drop them in the "New" directory location.

bra10n, Nov 29, 2016
  5. Edwin New Member
    Can you not open a specific template from jump lists?

Master Templates in Office? [​IMG]

Edwin, Nov 29, 2016
  6. bra10n Win User
    Thanks Edwin,

So far jump lists is the only workable solution. Ideally the 'right click > New' option I find more convenient.

But if what I prefer cannot be done it works so thank you.

bra10n, Nov 29, 2016
  7. bra10n Win User
    Well I've made a little progress on this. It would be nice to have some intelligent souls look at what I've done and perhaps try it for themselves to confirm it is a solution, improve baste bake etc

Steps:
    In regedit, under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT I created ShellNew at .dotx and on the right a new String Value of 'Command' and pointed to a template file shortcut which I have placed in Documents.

Results:
    Opening the template via right click > New, make an entry and close via the close button (X) asks to save the document (which would be in the current directory; default) which it does with the template file left unchanged. If I choose to 'save' via the menu I am offered a location option of course with the file extension defaulting to .docx automatically.

The only issue I encountered was the location of the template shortcut. Here on Office365 there's a 'Custom Office Templates' folder that has been created in the Documents folder, but I had issues pointing to that folder. Errors popped up with "... cannot reach C:\Users\\Documents\Custom ". Likely the spaces in the folder location I'd say...

Thanks

bra10n, Nov 30, 2016
  8. bra10n Win User

Another question...

Is there a way to create a 'Templates' folder within the right click > 'New' menu which could contain any number of Word, Excel templates etc

bra10n, Nov 30, 2016
  9. Hi:

For my usage, the risks of fiddling in the Windows registry just to create Office templates seem to outweigh the benefit.
    But each user has different needs for their productivity software.

Sorry, no idea on that one.
    Have you tried a Google search or MS Office support?
    <just a generic thought>

MM

MoxieMomma, Nov 30, 2016
  10. bra10n Win User
    Thanks for your reply MM.

In have asked the question under MS Win 10 support re the menu manipulation. Failing that I'll just give feedback to Office365.

Thanks

bra10n, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Master Templates in Office? - Similar Threads - Master Templates Office

2. How to stop the yellow "custom office templates" from appearing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop the yellow "custom office templates" from appearing?: How do I stop the yellow "custom office templates" folders from appearing in my File Explorer's "Documents" page on Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-the-yellow-custom-office-templates/858fc04e-1ac9-4bbe-a5e8-3828271fd7c2
  3. Changing the Word Document Template in Office Windows Suite 2021

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing the Word Document Template in Office Windows Suite 2021: Could I get simple step-by-step directions to create a word document template that will open automatically in Word Office Suite, NOT 365 with a specific font and margin settings, every time I open Word to create a new document?Thank you,Susan...
  4. Open Office Master document help pls...?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open Office Master document help pls...?: Hello I have a client who has open office and has created a "Master" document. All the client wants to use is a standard open office document but she cannot as the Master document always opens instead. If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful!!? or if it cant be done...
  5. templates

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    templates: when I try to get a template it states I am not connected to Microsoft on line https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/templates/e3997d4c-ab8d-465d-9d67-99a2320d6b45"
  6. template in office 365

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    template in office 365: how can I add a template to office 365 word https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/template-in-office-365/5e7d88e8-752a-4756-956d-0913617d3339"
  7. templates

templates: I cant find my templates https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/templates/13568d66-e79a-461a-8b95-154da2331f88"
  8. Trying to Download Excel Template for Office 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Trying to Download Excel Template for Office 2016: Hello all, I cannot download a template for Excel using Office 2016. When online I keep getting directed to Office 365. Only six templates appear on my Excel new page and the cursor will not go into the search bar on that page to get online. Do you know where I can find the...
  9. templates

templates: Hello I am trying to use flash cards or pocket reference templates but I don't have access to them. I have the latest version of windows and have followed the steps but don't have either. I looked to see if I could download them but couldn't find anything. Can you please...
  10. MICROSOFT RELEASED LATEST ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATES FOR OFFICE 2016

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MICROSOFT RELEASED LATEST ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATES FOR OFFICE 2016: On 21-07- 2018 , microsoft released new administrative templates for office 2016 works in windows 10 v1803 direct downloading link https://download.microsoft.com/download/2/E/E/2EEEC938-C014-419D-BB4B-D184871450F1/admintemplates_x86_4756-1000_en-us.exe...