Windows 10: Mbam...free or premium?

Discus and support Mbam...free or premium? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have Malwarebytes Premium v. on my laptop for which I pay $25 per year. I just got a new Lenovo desktop w/the i5, 8G ram and 1T hard drive and wish... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Fred22, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Fred22 Win User

Mbam...free or premium?

I have Malwarebytes Premium v. on my laptop for which I pay $25 per year. I just got a new Lenovo desktop w/the i5, 8G ram and 1T hard drive and wish to protect my new PC with their great product. My question: Is the paid version worth paying for? I had the free v. on my old desktop and it did real time monitoring, etc. What do I get with MBAM premium that I don't get with the free version?

:)

Fred22, Dec 31, 2016

2. How to Change Text Size for Menus in Windows 10 1709 16299.64

When & why was MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) installed? Is it MBAM Premium v3.x (free-trial), MBAM Premium v2.x, or MBAM Free? Has MBAM ever detected & quarantined anything since it's been installed?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Dec 31, 2016
  3. Win 10 Home ed-- disable URL popups in Mail

1. Is AVG Free (I assume) currently installed?

2. Assuming "Malware" means MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM), when & why was MBAM installed? Is it MBAM Premium v3.x (free-trial), MBAM Premium v2.x, or MBAM Free? Has MBAM ever detected & quarantined anything since it's been installed?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chances are (99.99%) your Dell computer came with a McAfee free-trial preinstalled. Doesn't matter if you never used it.

Fact: McAfee (and Norton) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading) cleanly. The "leftovers" may be your troublemaker here.

PA Bear - MS MVP, Dec 31, 2016
  4. prikker Win User

Mbam...free or premium?

Paid version has website protection, ransomware protection, anti exploit and updates every hour and realtime protection. Free version does not have those options.

prikker, Dec 31, 2016
  5. SoFine409 Win User
    If you have financial data on your PC then you should think hard about what you identity is worth.

SoFine409, Dec 31, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    As mentioned, the paid version is running in the background while the free version has to be manually started when suspicioning problems or as part of your cleanup routine. Other than that I've seen no difference in what it can clean up, I have paid on some computers and free on others.

Berton, Dec 31, 2016
  7. Fred22 Win User
    So you would say to go with the paid v.?

Fred22, Dec 31, 2016
  8. Mbam...free or premium?

Hi:

As @Berton mentioned:

Malwarebytes FREE is only a manual, on-demand scanner to help REMOVE malware that made it past your anti-virus and other defenses onto the system.
    Malwarebytes PREMIUM provides real-time protection to help PREVENT infection.

As a general principle, prevention is always preferable to after-the-fact clean-up, especially for something like ransomware. By the time one is hit by the infection, clean-up will be too late.

Whether Malwarebytes Premium is worth the cost is a decision each user must make. I reluctantly say this after many years as a paid user & supporter of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM). The new product, which is called just "Malwarebytes 3.0", has been aggressively marketed and highly touted by the company, despite more than 22 pages of trouble reports at their forum, since its release a few weeks ago re: performance, stability, GUI, and side-by-side compatibility issues, as well as a lack of clarity about its real capabilities and protection gaps. (For example, see this thread and this post.)

If it were my computer, I would consider buying a Premium license for the 2nd computer.
    But I would for the time being use that license to install and activate MBAM version 2, alongside Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) Free or Premium (separate license needed), until version 3.0 is more stable.
    Having said that, there is at least one excellent, paid alternative (Emsisoft Anti-Malware), and at least one excellent anti-exploit alternative (HitmanPro Alert).

MM

MoxieMomma, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Mbam...free or premium?

1. Mbam...free or premium? - Similar Threads - Mbam free premium

2. MBAM free trial and Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MBAM free trial and Defender: I think when the trial ends I should uninstall MBAM if I don't want to pay so Defender will work well. Is there a free alternative to MBAM free if this is the case? 158485
  3. MBAM free trial and Defender

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MBAM free trial and Defender: I think when the trial ends I should uninstall MBAM if I don't want to pay so Defender will work well. Is there a free alternative to MBAM free if this is the case? 158485
  4. Free and Premium Online Courses (with Certificate)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Free and Premium Online Courses (with Certificate): willing to learn an additional skill and improve the knowledge in programming, security, emergency management, etc... Online Courses 137432
  5. MBAM and Defender

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    MBAM and Defender: I noticed MBAM has infiltrated Defender. I did the following and hope it is correct. Open MBAM>settings>application>scroll to Action center where there are 3 choices and chose the middle one - never register MBAM in Window Action Center. 136138
  6. Free alternative to Malwarebytes Premium?

Free alternative to Malwarebytes Premium?: Malwarebytes Premium again and again protects me from computer nasties from the web that Windows Defender simply does not. Malicious websites etc. I only have the Premium trial. I can not afford to pay for a Premium licence. Is there a free alternative to Malwarebytes...
  7. Defender & MBAM Coexsistence

Defender & MBAM Coexsistence: Odd error on Insider (any build) with Defender and MBAM running at same time. MBAM is 3.0.6.1469. With Defender periodic scanning enabled, and all 4 MBAM protections enabled, I can't update definitions. WU won't find them either. I get this error, and the code leads to...
  8. Alternative for MBAM?

Alternative for MBAM?: So I've been running MBAM Free for quite some time, but lately I had a lot of issues on the Insider Preview builds. MBAM kept giving BSOD when trying to scan. And the new MBAV 3.0 gave me BSOD when using uTorrent. Is there any piece of software you'd recommend as a...
  9. MBAM Premium and NS 2016 Side by Side?

MBAM Premium and NS 2016 Side by Side?: I'm thinking of running MBAM Premium and Norton Security 2016 (v22.6.0) side by side. Will that work? Should I exclude any of MBAM's files from NS? Anything that I need to do with the NS firewall as well as add MBAM to Norto's safe search sites list? 53815
  10. Mbam Free

Mbam Free: New Version MBAM Free released.....Version 3.3.1.2183 100897