Windows 10: MBR/EFI Install

Discus and support MBR/EFI Install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Trying to get things going for new motherboard. I am at the point where I click "INSTALL" Get an error that says, Windows cannot be installed to this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by meebers, Jun 5, 2016.

1. meebers Win User

MBR/EFI Install

Trying to get things going for new motherboard. I am at the point where I click "INSTALL" Get an error that says, Windows cannot be installed to this disk (SSD). Selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT Disks. *Sad

Do I wipe the drive and leave it un-formatted? Have a feeling I have to change the settings in BIOS to??

TX

:)

meebers, Jun 5, 2016
  2. qinada Win User

Windows Installation

On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. If you use MBR disk, you will receive this error message: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. You can convert MBR to GPT and try it again.

qinada, Jun 5, 2016
  3. tjmoes Win User
    Win10 Installed 32-bit not 64-bit?

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systemts, Windows can only be installed on GPT disk

tjmoes, Jun 5, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

MBR/EFI Install

Select the custom install option. Delete all the partitions on the SSD. Select the unallocated space to install to. This will, of course, wipe the SSD when you delete all the existing partitions. No need to change bios settings.

NavyLCDR, Jun 5, 2016
  5. meebers Win User
    So wiped the drive, left it unallocated and began the install. Custom installation/next/see Drive 0 partition 1/next then "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one". Used Mini Tool partition wizard,showed 1 partition, was labeled as MBR, changed it to GPT. Install will not go any further. Tx for any further suggestions.

meebers, Jun 6, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    There should be no partitions on the SSD at all. Before selecting the custom install option in Windows setup, press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Then:

Change a Master Boot Record Disk into a GUID Partition Table Disk

Then run EXIT a couple times to get out of diskpart and command prompt. Click Custom Install, you should see the SSD listed with no partition on it at all, just 1 big unallocated space. That's what you want to install to, no partitions at all.

NavyLCDR, Jun 6, 2016
  7. jds63 Win User
    Can he just use boot menu and choose UEFI DVD Drive or UEFI USB Drive to get this done for GPT. I have done it this way before deleting all partitions and during the custom install i deleted all partitions.

jds63, Jun 6, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

MBR/EFI Install

Should be able to, but in post #3 it looks like that didn't work.

NavyLCDR, Jun 6, 2016
  9. jds63 Win User
    O.k., i wonder what was on that partition and why it could not be removed (deleted). I was not sure if he even booted this way at first post 3 was a bit confusing, how was it changed to GPT there through this software ?

jds63, Jun 6, 2016
  10. meebers Win User
    Tx for this help. Put another SSd in along side the first one.
    SSD #1 Drive 0 Part 1 Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT type. Initially it failed because it was not of the GPT type??
    SSD #2 Drive 2 Part 1. Windows cannot be install to this disk. The computers hardware may not support booting from this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computers bios.??

About to start all over again, check the SSD with partition mini tool and then go with the above suggestion. Tx.....

meebers, Jun 6, 2016
  11. jds63 Win User
    jds63, Jun 6, 2016
  12. meebers Win User
    This last time I tried it, the ssd showed unallocated without any disk# or partition. Installed ok. Was unallocated before, seems shakey. Tx for you help.

meebers, Jun 6, 2016
  13. jds63 Win User

MBR/EFI Install

So you did it same way as before, but this time it worked well ? Did you do anything different from last time ? Done GPT with UEFI ? Your Welcome !

jds63, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

MBR/EFI Install

1. MBR/EFI Install - Similar Threads - MBR EFI Install

2. Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT: Hello everyone,I am attempting to convert windows 10 installation from MBR to GPT using the MBR2GPT.EXE tool. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gptThe documentation states:MBR2GPT.EXE converts a disk from the Master Boot Record MBR to the GUID...
  3. Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT: Hello everyone,I am attempting to convert windows 10 installation from MBR to GPT using the MBR2GPT.EXE tool. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gptThe documentation states:MBR2GPT.EXE converts a disk from the Master Boot Record MBR to the GUID...
  4. Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. new installation gpt not mbr

in Windows 10 Customization
    new installation gpt not mbr: I have assembled a new desktop computer that has eufi bios. My existing computer on which I am writing this question is a Legacy bios how do I get a win10 installed on the new one, as the "Media Creation Tool" copy won't work. Thanks Keith...
  6. Change boot back from efi to mbr

in Windows 10 Support
    Change boot back from efi to mbr: A quick explenation to my problem, so I formated a drive with an old windows installation on it (not the one qurently in use) and it hade my boot records on it, so I got the error bootmgr missing. So a bit panicked I used the first solution witch was "bcdboot c:\windows /s...
  7. Installing Windows 10 on SD drive with MBR partition table on EFI system

Installing Windows 10 on SD drive with MBR partition table on EFI system: I'm trying to install Windows 10 on an SD drive. I keep getting this message: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI system, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks" I went into the BIOS to disable the EFI Boot...
  8. Problem with W10 Install - EFI,GPT,MBR Issue

Problem with W10 Install - EFI,GPT,MBR Issue: trying to install windows 10 on a laptop that previously had w7 i booted off the usb created by the media creation tool wiped the partition that i wanted to install w10 on and then..... got the attached error stated I cannot install w10 on this never seen this before and...
  9. Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot?: I've just recently re-installed Windows on my laptop. I had the hard drive set to a GPT format disk since my system supports and previously used UEFI boot, but this install wouldn't allow it so I just went to MBR again.. Is there a way to convert the currently MBR type...
  10. SSD trim on an MBR install

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD trim on an MBR install: I currently see 3 drives in 'optimize drives' as follows: C: , System Reserved which I assume has the boot tables and stuff, and what appears to be a network drive displayed \\?Volume{8ebc5064-0000-0000- etc. In Disk Management I have the System Reserve partition and C:...