Windows 10: MBR/UEFI issues

Discus and support MBR/UEFI issues in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My motherboard is UEFI compliant, however it was set up in MBR mode, I'm now receiving messages from Microsoft saying my PC will not be updated after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sheffield12, Mar 31, 2018.

1. MBR/UEFI issues

My motherboard is UEFI compliant, however it was set up in MBR mode, I'm now receiving messages from Microsoft saying my PC will not be updated after 10 April because it is not set up in UEFI mode. I understand that to set up in UEFI mode all data on HD will be lost.

I understand this but I've made a back up of everything on 'C' drive including the Win 10 operating system made when operating in MBR mode. If I convert to UEFI will this back up work OK with UEFI?

This backup also includes MS Office 16 Professional , this was downloaded by an IT firm on behalf of an organisation I do some work for and I have no backup or installation disks for this although I do have the Window 25 digit key thanks to a Belarc scan. We have now parted company with this IT firm and I can't approach them. If the backup won't work then I have no way of restoring MS Office 16 that I know of.

Thank you for reading this, I'd be grateful for any help or advice

:)

sheffield12, Mar 31, 2018

2. Can't install Windows 10 as disk isn't GPT

The disk type wasn't the direct cause, apparently the MBR disk didn't support UEFI firmware. To get it to support UEFI I had to change from MBR to GPT

RyanMckenna, Mar 31, 2018
  3. FAT_FILE_SYSTEM when booting in to a USB

I have tried to export it using a MBR partition for BIOS or UEFI-CSM, MBR partition for UEFI and GPT partition for UEFI using a 4GB flash drive, and none of the attempts worked. I made sure that the file system was set to FAT32. I left the cluster size
    as the default.

OSIAN WYNZ, Mar 31, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

MBR/UEFI issues

Brink, Mar 31, 2018
  5. Berton Win User
    Is the meaning of this saying older computers without UEFI [MBR only] will no longer be updated?

Berton, Mar 31, 2018
  6. cereberus Win User
    That does not make sense. It is irrelevant if install is uefi or legacy bios to get updates. I think message is complaining boot option is incompatible with current installation. Some bioses can boot if install does not match bios setting but may not be able to upgrade. Set bios to boot in legacy bios mode and you should be fine.

cereberus, Mar 31, 2018
  7. Berton Win User
    Several machines don't have UEFI/EFI capability, just checking for verification whether they are going to automatically be junk on the date given.

Berton, Mar 31, 2018
  8. MBR/UEFI issues

M/B is Asus A68HM-K
    In BIOS are following settings.

1] Boot Device Control: UEFI & Legacy OpRom: Legacy OpRom only: UEFI only . Set at UEFI only
    2] Boot from Network Devices: Legacy OpRom first: UEFI Drive first: Ignore. Set at Legacy Oprom first
    3] Boot from Storage Device: Legacy Oprom first: Both UEFI first: UEFI Driver first: Ignore. Set Legacy OpRom first
    4] Boot from PCi/PCI: Legacy OpROM first: UEFI Driver first: Set at Legacy Oprom first

Changing [1] from UEFI to Legacy OpRom only or UEFI & Legacy OpRom results in PC not booting and displaying following:
    Recovery
    Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
    File\Windows\system32\winloadexe

Can only get PC to boot with [1] set UEFI

Can't really get my head round this, the m/b is definitely UEFI compliant

Not really sure what benefits of UEFI are other than ability to have more than 4 partitions.

Is next step - Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss Windows 10 Tutorials

sheffield12, Apr 1, 2018
  9. Samuria Win User
    Were dd you get the message I have reports locally of this as scam

Samuria, Apr 1, 2018
  10. Berton Win User
    That's what I'm trying to determine, haven't seen any other references to it. But then right now I don't have one of my MBR-only computers running, maybe tomorrow.

Berton, Apr 1, 2018
  11. I have had my 2nd PC running since early this morning my time. About 9-10 hours at least and have ran windows updates quite a few times since I first saw this thread trying to replicate it. In Macrium Reflect my 2nd PC shows MBR on the disk. Also Macrium says UEFI at the top on this PC but not on the 2nd one. I will post back if I see any message of the sort. I plan on leaving the PC running for a couple days to see.

Access Denied, Apr 1, 2018
  12. AddRAM Win User
    I always install windows on a MBR disk, and I have never gotten a message like that, ever.

The only message from Microsoft you should ever get about W10 is "This PC will no longer receive security updates until it is updated to the latest version"

And you won`t even get that message until a year after the previous version is released.

Example: I had the Creators Update installed on the Z170 up until about a month ago, and then I got the message from Microsoft to update to the Fall Creators Update.

AddRAM, Apr 1, 2018
  13. zbook New Member

MBR/UEFI issues

The April 10, 2018 date is the date in which Windows updates stop for Windows 10 version 1607.

If you have the message available on MBR vs GPT please post it into the thread.
    If you don't have it available please make sure to copy and paste it the next time it is seen and post it into the thread.

In the left lower corner search type: Winver > post an image into the thread.

How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums Windows 10 Tutorials

This is the typical full message from Microsoft for Windows 1607:
    Important updates needed
    After April 10, 2018, Microsoft will no longer support your version of Windows 10, and this PC won't receive critical security updates. These security updates help protect your personal data from harmful viruses, malware, spyware, and other malicious software. Microsoft recommends updating to the latest version of Windows 10 immediately. Select Download updates to begin downloading and installing the new version of Windows 10. The update may take up to 6 GB, and may take a few hours to download depending on your Internet speed and PC performance. Internet access fees may apply.

zbook, Apr 1, 2018
  14. HI zbook
    Next time message appears I'll copy/past it into thread,

It reads as follows Windows 10 your device needs the latest security updates. Here's why Windows 10 can't be installed: UEFI - The disk layout for UEFI firmware isn't supported.

I'm pretty sure these are not scams, shown below is a list of the recent updates, some successful some not.

Let me know if you have difficulty opening files

mhtml:file:///C:/Users/ashfi/Desktop/Capture.MHT!cid:EB259E615DC34E90903872276383C440@dns

MBR/UEFI issues [​IMG]

sheffield12, Apr 1, 2018
  15. zbook New Member
    1) Open disk management > widen 2 rows: status and volume
    Make sure that the text in each row is in full view and that no text is cut off in each row
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of Windows 10 Tutorials

2) Download and install: Minitool Partition Wizard > post an image into the thread
    MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

3) Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    a) sfc /scannow
    b) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    c) chkdsk /scan
    When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into notepad > save to desktop > post a one drive or drop box share link into the thread

4) Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    a) diskpart
    b) list disk
    c) list volume
    d) select disk 0
    e) list partition
    f) select partition 1
    g) detail partition
    h) select partition 2
    i) detail partition
    j) select partition 3
    k) detail partition
    l) select partition 4
    m) detail partition
    If there are any more partitions on disk 0 please continue in the same fashion for each partition
    n) select disk 1
    o) list partition
    p) exit
    When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into notepad > save to desktop > post a one drive or drop box share link into the thread

5) Open file explorer > this PC > C: > in the right upper corner search for:
    setuperr.log
    setupact.log
    These are located in the Panther folder and it may be hidden > in file explorer click view > check hidden items

6) Run the beta log collector and post a zip into this thread:
    log collector v2-beta08.zip
    (extract > open)

zbook, Apr 1, 2018
Thema:

MBR/UEFI issues

1. MBR/UEFI issues - Similar Threads - MBR UEFI issues

2. Stuck in MBR in UEFI, please help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in MBR in UEFI, please help: Hello, my boot situation is a disaster. I’m running Windows 10. I was on the 500mg Samsung SSD over SATA and I’m pretty sure it was BIOS/MBR. I wanted to clone to a new NVME drive, the Samsung 2TB seen in the images. I’m on a Z87 board so I did the AMBIOS hack to add the UEFI...
  3. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  4. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  5. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. MBR to GPT. UEFI issue HP laptop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    MBR to GPT. UEFI issue HP laptop.: I converted my disk from MBR to GPT using CMD. Now in bios I have selected UEFI and disabled legacy, but OS is not booting. How do I get it to boot?...
  7. Hybrid (UEFI / MBR) ISO's -- UEFI BOOT (CSM)

Hybrid (UEFI / MBR) ISO's -- UEFI BOOT (CSM): Hi folks recently I couldn't get some newer iso's from UUPDUMP to boot using RUFUS V 10 to create bootable usb sticks when these isos are HYBRID boot (i.e they can boot either MBR or UEFI). However changing the BIOS options to enabling UEFI boot (CSM module) as well as UEFI...
  8. MBR TO GTP AND DOS TO UEFI

MBR TO GTP AND DOS TO UEFI: recently upgraded hard drive to 1 TB on a dell inspiron 1525. I need to do 3 things. update DOS when i dont have the power requirements 0% not 10% as required. Trying to create a bootable usb has proven more difficult than i imagined to "forceit"; with the new HD, i NEED...
  9. MBR to UEFI conversion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MBR to UEFI conversion: When attempting to convert my 500 gb Western digital Black from Win 10 version 1909 MBR to UEFI using Microsoft's recommended procedure I keep getting, during validation attempts, the error message that the disk cannot be validated for conversion, and file size is 512 bytes....
  10. UEFI or MBR ?

UEFI or MBR ?: I 'm making a bootable usb flash drive with Rufus to install Windows 10 as a dual boot with Windows 8.1. When I installed my new video card I had to disable safe boot and enable legacy support in the bios. When I make the bootable flash drive should I choose UEFI or MBR? 1969