Windows 10: MBR vs. GPT

Discus and support MBR vs. GPT in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Are there solid benefits in switching from standard MBR to GPT? Now that I have Windows 10, I'm wondering if I should do it. I have no need for more... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by larc919, Sep 10, 2015.

1. larc919 Win User

MBR vs. GPT

Are there solid benefits in switching from standard MBR to GPT? Now that I have Windows 10, I'm wondering if I should do it. I have no need for more partitions (currently 3 drives with 1 primary partition each) or partitions larger than 2TB and likely never will. But I'm curious if there are other good reasons why I should make the switch and give up some SSD space for the couple of small system partitions that would be added. Is UEFI booting necessarily better?

:)

larc919, Sep 10, 2015
  2. slance310 Win User

Restoring Windows 10 from backup ISO

Hi,

The new drive may have been preformatted as the wrong type of drive...

GPT vs MBR... When your old one is finished, check to see which it is, and compare to the new one...

slance310, Sep 10, 2015
  3. Installing and booting windows 10 on a GPT partition

Do you have a UEFI BIOS? This is the only way you can install Windows to a GPT disk, otherwise it can only be used to intialize data disks, especially if you want them to be larger than the 2tb limit Windows has for MBR (Legacy BIOS) disks.

GPT vs MBR Disk Comparison

To find this out, type msinfo in Start Search, in System Information look at the BIOS type. If MBR you most likely have Legacy BIOS. But you can boot into BIOS setup to check for UEFI settings that may be disabled, or CSM/Legacy BIOS that may be disabled.
    To install to UEFI one must also boot the installation media as a UEFI device.

More here:
    Clean Install Windows 10

and here:
    UEFI BIOS vs. Legacy BIOS - YouTube

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 10, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

MBR vs. GPT

As far as I know, you cannot just change from one to the other. You have to wipe all partitions and reformat the hard disk. I don't believe this is what you want. If I remember correctly, there is a 4TB limit on MBR, so in 6TB or larger hard disks you either split to 4TB maximum partitions or you have to choose GPT when initializing the hard disk. I don't think there is any performance difference between the two, I might be wrong though. Also if your system boots fine as it is then avoid messing with EFI etc or you might not be able to boot from DVD or other device. If it works, don't fix it, as they say.

spapakons, Sep 10, 2015
  5. larc919 Win User
    Partition Wizard can do the switch from either to the other. I'm just curious to know if there is sufficient benefit in GPT other than additional partitions and partition sizes to merit changing. The more I see, the more I'm thinking no.

larc919, Sep 11, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
  7. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I prefer MBR for backwards compatibility. I would not bother in your case IMHO. I usually work with PE or Linux livecds and the such and there are a lot of trouble trying to change/repair GPT partitions.

eLPuSHeR, Sep 11, 2015
  8. larc919 Win User

MBR vs. GPT

Thanks to all for your replies. I think I should stick with MBR. *Smile

larc919, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

MBR vs. GPT

1. MBR vs. GPT - Similar Threads - MBR GPT

2. If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...: Hi Microsoft friends.If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is use to fix MBR filesystems, what's the parameter for GPT filesystems? is it /fixgpt?Also, which part of this article fixes the Windows Recovery wherein you can boot to Windows PE, right now when I hold Shift + Restart, it doesn't...
  3. If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...: Hi Microsoft friends.If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is use to fix MBR filesystems, what's the parameter for GPT filesystems? is it /fixgpt?Also, which part of this article fixes the Windows Recovery wherein you can boot to Windows PE, right now when I hold Shift + Restart, it doesn't...
  4. MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop: I have an ASUS laptop with a 25GB factory recovery partition of 64bit windows on MBR disk drive. Since this partition contains the image of windows 64bit which should support UEFI and GPT, will I be able to use this partition for factory recovery if I convert my drive from...
  5. MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop

MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop: I have an ASUS laptop with a 25GB factory recovery partition of 64bit windows on MBR disk drive. Since this partition contains the image of windows 64bit which should support UEFI and GPT, will I be able to use this partition for factory recovery if I convert my drive from...
  6. I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...: I've included a disk management screenshot because I think its probably something to do with that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-trying-to-convert-my-c-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt-so/bf690e99-8380-4279-bbc1-57e39f8522a4
  7. I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...: I've included a disk management screenshot because I think its probably something to do with that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-trying-to-convert-my-c-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt-so/bf690e99-8380-4279-bbc1-57e39f8522a4
  8. I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...

9. MBR to GPT not working HELP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR to GPT not working HELP: im trying to install Windows 11 and first i need to change my disk to GPT but it isnt working im just getting this error message over and over again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mbr-to-gpt-not-working-help/dbc15c02-683a-4a91-a1df-92dd7dc6c686
  10. MBR to GPT not working HELP

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MBR to GPT not working HELP: im trying to install Windows 11 and first i need to change my disk to GPT but it isnt working im just getting this error message over and over again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mbr-to-gpt-not-working-help/dbc15c02-683a-4a91-a1df-92dd7dc6c686

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is there a perfromance improvement when switching from MBR to GPT