Windows 10: Mcafee reinstalls files after uninstall

Discus and support Mcafee reinstalls files after uninstall in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, Yesterday, I used Revo Uninstaller to remove McAfee. I used the advanced mode to get all the deeply embedded pieces of it. But today, when I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by PattyS, May 27, 2016.

1. PattyS Win User

Mcafee reinstalls files after uninstall

Hi,

Yesterday, I used Revo Uninstaller to remove McAfee. I used the advanced mode to get all the deeply embedded pieces of it. But today, when I check the Task Manager, I saw a bunch of McAfee programs running in the background. It doesn't appear that they're taking up any resources, but I am disturbed that this program would reinstall parts of itself, and I want to get rid of them.

I found them under Programs>Common Files, but when I try to delete them, it says I don't have access. I am the administrator and have made sure that I have administrator privileges, but still these files won't let me delete them. At this point, I'd say McAfee is a virus in itself! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

:)

PattyS, May 27, 2016
  2. kmXO Win User

Windows Update KB3213986 stops internet from working

It turns out this update was conflicting with McAfee. There were some files corrupted in McAfee or it wasn't update, so I had to uninstall and then reinstall it. Either way, the problem was in McAfee, it was freezing every time I lost internet access.

3. need replacement fwbase.DLL and mfc80ITA.DLL.

Uninstalling the McAfee application isn't going to fix this - even if you could reinstall it.

PA Bear - MS MVP, May 27, 2016
  4. OldMike65 Win User

@PattyS
    Try Hitting your Windows key +R then type msconfig , then go to your Services Tab, and Turn off any service that is linked to McAfee. Then Reboot your computer, and try to delete those files again.

OldMike65, May 27, 2016
  5. Borg 386 Win User
    Yeah, there's people out there that share your thoughts. *chuckle It's got roots that's for sure.

You might want to try running the McAfee uninstall tool to see if it can clean anything left over. You can find it here.

Uninstallers (removal tools) for common Windows antivirus softwareESET Knowledgebase

I had it on my PC also (came with the system) & I was picking pieces of it out of the works 2 months after supposedly getting rid of it.

Borg 386, May 27, 2016
  6. PattyS Win User
    Hi OldMike,

Thank you for your help. I tried your suggestion, and McAfee will not let me uncheck those boxes. I mean, I uncheck them, but they don't stay unchecked.

PattyS, May 27, 2016
  7. PattyS Win User
    Hi Borg,

I downloaded ESET AV Remover. It did not find the remaining files of McAfee, but it did a great job of uninstalling the AVG files. I wanted to get rid of that, but it did not show up on Revo Uninstaller. The ESET website does have instructions on how to manually remove files by starting in SafeMode. I'll try that next, and let you know. Thanks!

Update:
    I tried the manual uninstall as instructed on the ESET page, but McAfee *Devilstill doesn't allow me permission. On to the next suggestion! McAfee is most definitely a virus

PattyS, May 27, 2016
  8. OldMike65 Win User

OldMike65, May 27, 2016
  9. Also try this if you have not already done so
    Click Start
    Then scroll to
    File Explorer
    Then scroll down to
    Your C drive.
    Scroll down to
    Then Programs Files
    Also one marked x86
    In both look for McAfee Folders
    If There are any then right click and delete them as that is where you will find bits of McAfee left overs
    Then run Ccleaner
    Then go to Ccleaner uninstaller and see if that comes up with anything to do with McAfee
    That is what I had to do on one of my laptops to get rid of it

hTconeM9user, May 27, 2016
  10. PattyS Win User

PattyS, May 27, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    Patty,
    If you come across files denying you the permission to delete, use this tutorial
    How to Add 'Take Ownership' to Context Menu in Windows 10
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Start with step 2, skip step 3 and 4, continue to step 5, 6, 7 and 8.

Once installed, go back to the file you cannot delete > right click at it > click take Ownership > wait for the flashing black screens to finish > now, try to delete the file again.

By the way, McAfee Removal Tool is really the one you should use first. It is written specifically for that purpose.

davidhk, May 27, 2016
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

We call McAfee Mc Awful. Why any consumer would use this POS is beyond my (admittedly peanut sized) brain to even begin to fathom. That POS is usually installed by corporates -- totally different needs and scenarious to what domestic / home computer users need.

I can't help you with your current problem -- but what I would suggest in future is to take a CLEAN backup image of your OS BEFORE installing any AV software so if it doesn't work after an install just restore previous backup. Things like FREE MACRIUM work just fine --keep OS separate from your data though (Data is things like email, photos, office docs, video, music etc).

I'd suggest a CLEAN W10 re-install -- and before adding any AV software (other than Windows defender) take a Backup image FIRST.

My own view is that W10 doesn't really need extra AV software other than the built in Windows defender but of course each to their own on that one. Danger is more likely to come from scams rather than any viruses these days -- in any case most "Hackers" have moved on to attacking Mobile Phones as that's where the money is -- old fashioned viruses are actually so "Last Century" -- different threats these days.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 27, 2016
  13. Borg 386 Win User

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned there is a whole slew of uninstallers there listed alphabetically on the page, the McAfee removal tool was under M. Sorry I forgot to mention the part about scrolling down. *Redface

Borg 386, May 27, 2016
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    I saw that McAfee link Borg, but when I tried clicking on it, the link did not work, so I gave her another link for the McAfee removal tool. *Smile

OldMike65, May 27, 2016
  15. Borg 386 Win User
    It works for me. You get a pop up window saying d/l MCPR. Your pop up blocker might be stopping it. Glad you said something though, I was wondering after you said that if that linked to an outdated site or not.

Mcafee reinstalls files after uninstall [​IMG]

Borg 386, May 27, 2016
Thema:

1. Mcafee reinstalls files after uninstall - Similar Threads - Mcafee reinstalls files

2. pc internet slow after uninstalling McAfee LiveSafe

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    pc internet slow after uninstalling McAfee LiveSafe: Hi, I have this weird issue over here. I have Windows 10 Home installed in my laptop. It comes with pre installed McAfee anti-virus. I removed the complete McAfee LiveSafe anti-virus using control panel. The actual problem starts here. The internet connectivity slows down...
  3. mcafee uninstall

in Windows 10 Customization
    mcafee uninstall: I reset my windows 10 laptop. I deselected the option to install mcafee security. yet It got installed. now I m trying touninstall it but unsuccessful. plz provide solution...
  4. How to Uninstall McAfee

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to Uninstall McAfee: I want to delete all of McAfee from my computer. How do I do that? [Original Title: McAfee] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-to-uninstall-mcafee/37edc497-3cc5-44a6-a839-18aaae7eb203
  5. Cant uninstall WindowsApp files after windows reinstallation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant uninstall WindowsApp files after windows reinstallation: So i have a big issue. I had several WindowsApp folders on different drives. I reinstalled my Operating System to fix several issues and now Windows store doesnt detect those installed games and when i go to change the windows apps install location it asks me to delete the...
  6. uninstall McAfee LiveSafe

uninstall McAfee LiveSafe: Having trouble uninstalling McAfee LiveSafe. Followed instructions provided by McAfee, but it did not good. HELP PLEASE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uninstall-mcafee-livesafe/ce1ac8a6-d2a8-45a9-832b-228e2e50c121"
  7. Uninstall McAfee

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Uninstall McAfee: I tried to uninstall the App via Settings, as well as via the Uninstall Programs on the Control Panel. No success at all - the response is: Navigation to web page was cancelled. I can't refresh the page. The only way to get out is to Close Window on the Taskbar...
  8. No Ms Office or McAfee after reinstalling windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    No Ms Office or McAfee after reinstalling windows: Hi, I used to have preinstalled windows 10 on my laptop, until something happened to my hard drive, which had to be replaced. I installed april 2018 edition by downloading from their site. Since the account key was on my laptop, I didn't have to worry. But now I don't have...
  9. Uninstalling McAfee

Uninstalling McAfee: I need to update Windows and in order to do that I need to uninstall McAfee. I tried using the default uninstall provided by Windows but it said I could not uninstall as other programs were using McAfee Agent. I then tried using the MCPR which seems to have worked for most...
  10. Uninstall McAfee Suites

Uninstall McAfee Suites: I have tried unsuccessfully to uninstall McAfee Suites. I think it is interfering with my current security suites. McAfee may have been previously downloaded or unintentionally through some other source. Any advice on how to accomplish? I've tried the uninstall within the...