Windows 10: mct and clean install

Discus and support mct and clean install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; On Dec 12 I used the Media Creation Tool and downloaded the file and did a clean install. It was the RTM 10240? So I set up to be on the Fast Ring no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by shipinomore10, Dec 13, 2015.

1. mct and clean install

On Dec 12 I used the Media Creation Tool and downloaded the file and did a clean install. It was the RTM 10240?
    So I set up to be on the Fast Ring no real problem.
    This morning Dec 14 it downloaded and installed TR2 and it was 10586. The files in file manager did not seem to be right.
    Especially pictures. could figure out what was going on so I took the Image file created on the 12th right after reinstalling all files and programs etc. and am back to build 10240.
    Is there a problem with file manager in the update that was installed? Is there a better way to get the latest ISO file and do an upgrade to what I have currently?
    any instruction would be appreciated. I am sure that it is going to try and update again so I am using my 8.1 machine until I have a better solution.
    Thanks
    Shipinomore

:)

shipinomore10, Dec 13, 2015

2. WiFi issues with Creators Update

The Media Creation Tool (MCT) can/should be used to upgrade Windows, in cases where network is unavailable, or in cases where clean installs are required.

Good luck with your plan. If it doesn't work, I still recommend MCT.

Jacob W. Klein, Dec 13, 2015
  3. Can I change my Win10 DVD to a usb drive?

The only difference between a Recovery Drive and a standard reinstall media created using the the MCT are the following:

MCT - you can perform a repair upgrade and start the installation from within a running version of Windows

Recovery Drive - You can only perform a clean install.

Andre Da Costa, Dec 13, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

mct and clean install

topgundcp, Dec 13, 2015
  5. Thank you topgundcp I am in the process of downloading the file from techbench
    did follow the second link but will go back and see what I have to do.
    in the past I have used rufus to create the boot usb. will do the same here with this file?
    shipinomore

shipinomore10, Dec 14, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Alternatively you can also use tools such as: Winzip, Winrar, 7-zip to extract the ISO file to the root folder of the USB without using Rufus.

BTW, if you use the procedure I posted. It is straight forward and you should not have any problem.

Good luck.

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

mct and clean install

1. mct and clean install - Similar Threads - mct clean install

2. MCT Key for new installation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MCT Key for new installation?: Good morning, I would like to set up my girlfriend's PC anew and would like to use the microsoft creation tool to make my usb-stick bootable Now the question if I can install windows 10 on the stick is there a license key included? I don't have a cd or anything else and...
  3. Mct usb

Mct usb: I have a USB 64 GB (my first one of this size) with the 20H1 ISO using the MCT. Can I still use it as storage and still be able to boot from it. All my other USB drives are 8 gb or less. So no big deal for an "only" single use USB drive. 160310
  4. Can't install Windows 10 Home with a mct

Can't install Windows 10 Home with a mct: When I try to use any of Microsoft's MCT media creation tool, I only get the option to download Windows 10 Pro. I do not have a key for Windows 10 Pro, only for Windows 10 Home. I've been dealing with this for over a year, and tried multiple times during this year, to get a...
  5. MCT clean install defaults to Pacific time zone w/o option?

MCT clean install defaults to Pacific time zone w/o option?: Is there any way to get Win10 installer to prompt for time zone when using a USB drive installer made by the Media Creation Tool? Every time I clean install, the time seems to get set from my CPU clock, but the time zone is always set to Pacific time - Is this because I...
  6. MCT error

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    MCT error: I downloaded MCT and started making ISO. Due to failure of internet, I had to cancel operation of making ISO and started again. I am getting error as follows. [img] I deleted contents of windows/softwaredistribution/download folder. I also did the following commands in...
  7. Problem with downloading/installing MCT upgrade (and others)

Problem with downloading/installing MCT upgrade (and others): The other day I had notification of a new upgrade which had a very large file size (4gb). Very often in the past large upgrades seemed to fail on installation quite frequently - so I started to download them from the catalog and install them offline. I do this because I...
  8. Anniversary Win 10 Clean Install off MCT

Anniversary Win 10 Clean Install off MCT: I just did a clean install of 10 1607 & just a question if this normal I just used my 1 tb drive raw unformatted & select custom install means clean i assume it formatted & worked after install but when i go to disk management I do not see any hidden partitions was all in...
  9. Latest MCT

Latest MCT: Where would I be able to download the Anniversary MCT windows 10 home.As I would like to make an iso on to a dvd just incase of disaster. Thanks. 59757
  10. Updating to version 1511 after Clean Installation using MCT?

Updating to version 1511 after Clean Installation using MCT?: For those people who CLEAN installed Win 10 using the Media Creation Tool, will it automatically update to Threshold-2 (version 1511 Build 10586.36) through Windows Update once installation had been completed? Or does that have to downloaded separately? And what is the...