Windows 10: Meaning of the "Defer upgrades" option

Discus and support Meaning of the "Defer upgrades" option in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi In the "Advanced options" of "Windows Update" there is the "Defer upgrades" option. If I select, what happens? Thanks Bye 8161 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by balubeto, Jul 11, 2015.

1. balubeto Win User

Meaning of the "Defer upgrades" option

Hi

In the "Advanced options" of "Windows Update" there is the "Defer upgrades" option. If I select, what happens?

Thanks

Bye

:)

balubeto, Jul 11, 2015

2. Dell Alienware Aurora-R3 & Windows 10 Build 1709 (Fall Creators Edition)

there is no "Defer upgrades" in the advanced options

Scotthopwood, Jul 11, 2015
  3. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Jul 11, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Balubeto,

Here's what is says Defer Upgrade is for in group policy that would be the same. *Smile

Brink, Jul 11, 2015
  5. MKeezy Win User

I think I read something about this new policy that Windows 10 users below the Enterprise level will no long be able to refuse updates, but rather only defer them for a short period of time. Are you sure that policy actually applies to both the Pro and Enterprise users also? I also remember reading that those two Windows Editions would be exempt for that tyranny being imposes on the little guy by Microsoft, especially since these are the users that are their test pool of users to ensure that the bugs are worked out for the Enterprise users before they are Upgraded.

MKeezy, Jul 16, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 16, 2015
  7. Here's a good explanation.

That provides some idea of what’s going on, but isn’t very specific.

Which Windows 10 Editions Can Defer Upgrades?
    The Professional, Enterprise, and Education editions of Windows 10 all have the "Defer upgrades" option. Windows 10 Home - the standard version of Windows 10 you’ll get on most new PCs - does not have this option. If you do really want this option, however, you can pay $99 to upgrade your Windows 10 Home PC to a Windows 10 Professional PC.

*Arrow Note that the Professional edition of Windows 10 doesn’t actually use this option by default - you’ll still have to enable it yourself.

Which Upgrades Are Deferred?
    Windows 10 is updated in a different way from previous versions of Windows. Both Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional will automatically install the latest security updates - there’s no option to disable Windows Update.

Microsoft will also be releasing feature updates for Windows 10 rather than holding back new features for the next version of WIndows. When these are released, they’ll first be tested by people who have signed up to test new builds of Windows as "Windows Insiders." After they’re tested, they’ll be made available on Windows Update, where they’ll be automatically downloaded by Windows 10 in the same way security updates are.

Some businesses don’t want new features to suddenly appear on their PCs before they’ve been able to be tested, so clicking "Defer upgrades" will delay only feature upgrades. You’ll still get security updates automatically.

How Long Can Feature Upgrades Be Delayed?
    Feature upgrades can only be delayed several months. It’s unclear exactly how many months these upgrades will be deferred for. But it is clear that you can’t defer these upgrades indefinitely.

After several months, Windows Update will automatically download the new feature update and install it. Microsoft will also stop producing security updates that can be installed on that old "build" of Windows, requiring you to install the feature update to keep getting security updates. Source

In other sources I've read that features updates/upgrades are scheduled on a four (4) month cycle, so any deferral would be less than that. The CBB branch adds another four (4) months to the cycle so essentially you can defer feature updates for up to eight (8) months. I haven't read anything from MS on this though - they're keeping some information close to the chest in the event that things change in the coming months.

The Current Branch for Business (CBB) - ala enabling the Defer Upgrade option will definitely extend the feature update deferral - it's just the length that hasn't been clearly described.

The non-distinct update and upgrade terms add to much of the confusion.

Slartybart, Jul 25, 2015
  8. Meaning of the "Defer upgrades" option

I thought I read somewhere that Pro version would defer for so many months but that Enterprise could defer indefinitely?

MortTheBeast, Jul 26, 2015
  9. No edition can defer feature updrates indefinitely as far as I know.

Slartybart, Jul 26, 2015
  10. I seriously hope your wrong... because that means Im stuck with Windows 7 and was really looking forward to Windows 10. Problem I have is my GTX 570 doesn't run well with latest driver and will only run on an older version... if Windows 10 is going to update it and not allow me to defer it for good... at some point my system will be useless with a non functioning graphics card and I ain't got the cash to update the card. *Mad

MortTheBeast, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Meaning of the "Defer upgrades" option - Similar Threads - Meaning Defer upgrades

2. Would Microsoft please restore the option to defer updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Would Microsoft please restore the option to defer updates?: At this very moment I'm in the proc se of doing everything I can to stop my computer from updating to Windows 11. Windows 11 already forced it's way into my laptop a few months back and destroyed it. Totally unusable. I was forced to buy another computer. As I don't make a...
  3. Did Microsoft remove the defer upgrade option for Windows 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Did Microsoft remove the defer upgrade option for Windows 10 Pro?: It simply gone here. What happened? submitted by /u/floating-hammock [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hzi6bc/did_microsoft_remove_the_defer_upgrade_option_for/
  4. Windows 10 V1903: The ‘broken’ defer update options

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 V1903: The ‘broken’ defer update options: Hi! Since May 2019 Update there is the problem that if you enter Values (Days) on Advanced Update Options in Windows 10 Pro to delay the "Feature Updates" and "Quality Updates" for more than 0 Days, these options will disappear completely at the next reboot. If you enter...
  5. W10 Pro defer updates option is gone.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Pro defer updates option is gone.: Hello. I've noticed that the first option to defer updates, the one that lets you delay Windows feature overhaul upgrades, is gone and just the other one that delays security updates os there. What gives? Thank you. [ATTACH]How it should look like: [ATTACH]...
  6. Will I Actually Be Able to Defer Upgrades...?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Will I Actually Be Able to Defer Upgrades...?: So, I have Windows 10 Pro now after I couldn't stand the constant updates that ended up often making my computer worse, but even with "Defer Upgrades," I'm still forced to pick a time to download within the next few days. I was under the impression I could at least wait a few...
  7. Deferring Upgrades Question

Deferring Upgrades Question: In Windows Update > Advanced Options > there used to be an option to "Defer Upgrades" , but it is gone now. Any idea where it went? On the option to "Defer Upgrades": I would rather defer any build upgrade until a time that I can supervise the install, and I don't...
  8. Windows updated by checking the defer upgrades

Windows updated by checking the defer upgrades: I was trying to update to anniversary update but it's not updating until i checked the defer upgrade the update works now, so why is it defer upgrades worked opposite? 94358
  9. Windows 10 Update and Defer Upgrades?

Windows 10 Update and Defer Upgrades?: I reinstalled windows 10 fresh because I upgraded my Dell 3147 from a slow 5400 rpm HD to a faster 8gb 5400 rpm SSHD ( yes its faster for sure) Anyway I went to Windows update and now found "Defer Upgrades" will this stop the driver updates for a while? How long if it...
  10. What does this option mean?

in Windows 10 Support
    What does this option mean?: Hi all, I recently just updated to 1607 and saw this new option under "Send your device data to Microsoft" I understand what Basic, Enhance and Full are but I have never seen the 'Security' one before, any one know what it is? [img] Thanks! 64660