Windows 10: Measure How Many Items on Start Menu in Windows 10

Discus and support Measure How Many Items on Start Menu in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Measure How Many Items on Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Measure How Many Items on Start Menu in Windows 10 Items on your Start menu are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Measure How Many Items on Start Menu in Windows 10

How to: Measure How Many Items on Start Menu in Windows 10

How to Measure How Many Items on Start Menu in Windows 10

Items on your Start menu are the total count of shortcuts displayed in All apps and pinned tiles combined.

All apps in the Start menu displays an alphabetical list of shortcuts to all installed Windows apps (Microsoft Store) and desktop apps on your Windows 10 PC. Some of these shortcuts are grouped into folders with the folder name in the alphabetical list.

Pinned tiles are the apps, contacts (People app), folders, drives, library, network, etc... that you Start layout.

By default, the Windows 10 Start Menu only supports showing up to 2048 items. If you have more than 2048 items, some or all items may no longer show.

This tutorial will show you how to measure how many items you have on your Start menu for your account in Windows 10.

EXAMPLE: Windows 10 Start menu

Measure How Many Items on Start Menu in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Open PowerShell.

2. Copy and paste the command below into PowerShell, and press Enter.
    *Arrow Get-StartApps | measure
    3. PowerShell will now output a Count of total items you have on your Start menu. (see screenshot below)

4. You can close PowerShell if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 11, 2017
  2. MadPaxx Win User

*Tongue*092

MadPaxx, Oct 27, 2019
  3. scevism Win User
    scevism, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Measure How Many Items on Start Menu in Windows 10

Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10  

Hi, @Brink:

My caffeine titer is low, so I must be missing some blatant, basic step to add a shortcut to my account's All Apps list in the Start menu (Option1).
    The new process both for creating shortcuts and for adding/removing items to the Win10 start menu has me flummoxed.
    Your tutorials are always "topnotch", so this must be a cockpit error on my part.

>I would like to follow the suggestion on page 1 of the wushowhide.diagcab tutorial to add a shortcut in All Apps for my account.

I have d/l the wushowhide.diagcab and saved it to my downloads folder.
    I have done Step 1 on Page 1 of THIS tutorial to navigate to the Start Menu Programs folder.
    But HOW do I actually complete Step 3 to create a shortcut and then add it to the Start Menu "All Apps"??

I think I need to first somehow create a shortcut for the .cab file and then add it to All Apps in the start menu???

Please advise.

Thanks!
    MM

P.S. I have been postponing the probably inevitable installation of Class Shell.
    I would rather not have to install a 3rd-party program to be able to perform basic Windows tasks.
    But this new workflow in Win10 for a basic functionality might force me to do it.
    Sigh.

MoxieMomma, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Jetster Win User
    Jetster, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Kari Win User
    All enabled startup items are not measured in task manager

I am not able to answer your question, mine is also showing Not measured. Anyway, I think that even when they are not measured you should really think your start-up policy again, what is important and what not.

I mean, how on earth can you still have a functioning PC with all those start-up items? Judging by the scroll bar at right and the 29 items shown, you must have close to 90 items on that list, 90 programs starting every time you boot to Windows! Incredible, I have to say I have never seen so bad start-up list.

Of course I can only compare to mine; I do some heavy duty work with this machine, have lots of software installed, yet my list has 9 items, three of them disabled:

My list could be down to 6 items if I just found a way to completely remove Logitech Download Assistant, uninstalled Skype Desktop because I am using new Skype app instead, and didn't need VMware in those rare occasions I select Hypervisor OFF mode in boot menu to turn off Hyper-V to be able to use VMware.

I seriously doubt that you need all those programs running every time Windows is started.

Thema:

1. Measure How Many Items on Start Menu in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Measure Many Items

2. start menu weather widget displaying wrong measurement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start menu weather widget displaying wrong measurement: I have it set to celsius by default but it's showing fahrennheit. Opening the app shows the temp in celsius.Not completely certain but I think this started happening after an update from a week or two ago.I'm using windows 10 pro?....
  3. Unnamed Start Menu Item

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unnamed Start Menu Item: Hi, Under the "Other" section of my start menu is an item with no logo, "ms-resourceAppListName" which is a bit unsightly. If I click on it, it launches the People app. I can't find a way to restore the title and icon and it seems I can't uninstall the app even though I...
  4. Rename start menu item Windows 10

Rename start menu item Windows 10: I have installed different versions of an application but they all appear as "ABC application". How can I can name each one uniquely ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rename-start-menu-item-windows-10/db44fa34-1d71-4466-b7b9-94644bb88dc5
  5. Broken item in Start Menu

Broken item in Start Menu: Hi Please could someone assist me with removing the following item in my Start Menu: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/broken-item-in-start-menu/7aa56942-3cde-49d1-a75a-38afb23a89f1
  6. add items in menu Start

add items in menu Start: Hi to whom it may concern. I know how to insert one icon in Start Menu or in application bar but I don't know to insert VLC media reader icon in the list of Apps at left of Start Menu. Could you tell me how to do it? Thank you and Best Regards, Dario...
  7. Start menu "recent items"

Start menu "recent items": Hi, I have "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar" set to Off (in the Personalization -> Start section of PC seetings), but recently opened items still appear. If I turn the setting "On, and then "Off" again, it clears the lists. But ultimately,...
  8. Start menu items...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu items...: When I started up, then rechecked the standard News and weather apps. were not working in the START menu. They were working fine yesterday. 110222
  9. Blank start menu items

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank start menu items: See picture. For some reason many icons have no picture and are left blank. Any idea how to fix this? [img] 23700
  10. Organizing Start Menu items

in Windows 10 Support
    Organizing Start Menu items: Hi. New to this forum, I was a previous member of the Seven Forums for years. I have just installed 10 and like what I see so far. Does anyone know how to: - Organize your Start Menu (i.e. delete folders and create your own folders). I am unable to right click to get...