Windows 10: Media Creation Tool Error

Discus and support Media Creation Tool Error in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just tried to use the Media Creation Tool in an admin account to create a USB installation drive and had the error below. Has anyone experienced this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Steve C, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Steve C Win User

Media Creation Tool Error

I just tried to use the Media Creation Tool in an admin account to create a USB installation drive and had the error below. Has anyone experienced this and solved the error?

Media Creation Tool Error [​IMG]

:)

Steve C, Jan 11, 2018
  2. Andre Da Costa, Jan 11, 2018
  3. ant2398 Win User

I am building a new pc and I wanted to create a flash drive to install windows 10 onto the new machine on my current windows 10 machine. After a few attempts I could never get past the formatting stage so gave up. In hindsight I realise that I forgot to
    delete it but I noticed that it downloaded windows to my current windows HD. This has caused my system to refuse to boot from this drive as I think it proritieses the other one or they conflict.

Is there a way to fix this without reinstalling from media or putting HD in a different PC?

ant2398, Jan 11, 2018
  4. Media Creation Tool Error

If you want you can download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft without using Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

Open the Internet Explorer and browse to Windows 10 Media Creation Tool website.

Right click empty spot and select View Source and from Emulation tab select Apple Safari (iPad) from "User agent string" drop down box. Website should refresh after selecting Apple Safari (iPad) if it does not refresh the website to get a drop down box for downloading Windows 10 ISO.

FreeBooter, Jan 11, 2018
  5. Steve C Win User
    I fully formatted the USB stick, restarted the PC then the MCT worked fine.

Steve C, Jan 12, 2018
  6. I'm glad it worked for you Steve. I got that very same error message a couple of weeks ago. I'd never had any problems using MCT before. I fully formatted the USB stick and restarted and it still didn't work for me. Ive switched over to using Diskpart method for creating the bootable flash drive but I still download the ISO using the MCT

sportsfan148, Jan 13, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    Yes, another poster had this problem which turned out to be because the USB had a gpt partition (previously created by Rufus).

USB flash drive --assign drive letter back to dynamic from static

That would do it *Smile

8. Media Creation Tool Error

Hi Bree..that was me who had the exact same error in the thread you point to. I converted the USB flash drive back to MBR and created partition from scratch, formatted it etc. I'm not 100% sure though if I did a quick format on the flash drive or whether I changed it to Full Format. The OP here states that he Fully formatted the USB stick..so maybe that is the difference if I did a quick format as well as the GPT partition that had been originally created by Rufus. Just changing the GPT partition style back to MBR didn't work..the Media Creation Tool fouled again at the same point..(51% while creating the media) with the same screen as above but the last part of the error code was slightly different

sportsfan148, Jan 13, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    It wouldn't take a genius to add a check the selected USB for partition suitability at the beginning of the MCT instead of letting it fail right at the end. Maybe one of these days MS might get round to it...
    *Sad

10. Steve C Win User
    That would require MS to adopt a reliable software QA procedure!

Steve C, Jan 14, 2018
  11. Steve said he Fully formatted the USB flash drive and it sorted the problem out.
    I know there are a few methods to Format a USB flash drive in Windows.
    In Windows...there's, This PC and Right click on drive/select format and theres also the Disk Management option. For both of those do you just uncheck the "Quick" box on the format options?
    The other option is Diskpart...I'm not exactly sure what you type there for a Full format.
    Is any of these options better or recommended for a Full format or doesn't it matter? Do they all do exactly the same thing?

sportsfan148, Jan 14, 2018
  12. Steve C Win User
    I always right click the drive in This PC, select Format and untick the Quick Format option.

Steve C, Jan 14, 2018
  13. Media Creation Tool Error

Cheers for that mate. I might try the Media Creation Tool again at some point and see if fully formatting the USB first ensures the MCT works. Ive never had any problems with using it before until the other week when I got the same error as you got

sportsfan148, Jan 14, 2018
  14. Because Steve said it worked for him and just out of curiosity today I tried doing a Full Format (not Quick) on a brand new 16gb Sandisk Ultra 3.0 USB flash drive (I wanted to remove Sandisks secure access software from the drive to make it totally blank before starting the Media Creation Tool). It failed again at 51% as its done a couple of times before for me with the exact same screen shot error message as you showed earlier in the post. I haven't got a clue why its not working but it surely has to be a problem with the Media Creation Tool. It looks like I'll be sticking with the Diskpart method. NavyLCDR and also a few other knowledgeable guys on here gave me a lot of help and instructions on using Diskpart so I'm happy to use it rather than Rufus. All the guys saying its the best and most reliable method to create a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive. The Media Creation Tool method was problem free for me when I used it to clean install the 1703 Creators update but it wont work for me anymore otherwise id probably have stuck with the MCT method. Looking around the internet there seems to be plenty of other people getting the same error message

sportsfan148, Jan 18, 2018
  15. iamc3k Win User
    I'm running into the same problem.

I've tried a full format (Fat32), and MCT failed again. Off to try the diskpart method.

This is frustrating.

iamc3k, Mar 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Media Creation Tool Error - Similar Threads - Media Creation Tool

2. media creation tooL ERROR

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    media creation tooL ERROR: ADgagehrJWWhzgeegeg https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-creation-tool-error/74e39a82-b757-45f7-9b9a-42c05ff42d7c
  3. media creation tooL ERROR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    media creation tooL ERROR: ADgagehrJWWhzgeegeg https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-creation-tool-error/74e39a82-b757-45f7-9b9a-42c05ff42d7c
  4. Media creation tool error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media creation tool error: I want to update my old win 7 pc to win 10 and every time i try to open media creation tool i get this error code 0x80072f8f - 0x20000is there anything i can do about it?...
  5. Media creation tool error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media creation tool error: I want to update my old win 7 pc to win 10 and every time i try to open media creation tool i get this error code 0x80072f8f - 0x20000is there anything i can do about it?...
  6. Media Creation Tool Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool Error: I have reverted my system back to its original Windows 7 since my upgrade to Windows 10 have been corrupted. Now I'm getting an Error code: 0x80072F8F - 0x20000 using the Media Creation Tool to upgrade back to Windows 10. Please help. Thank you....
  7. Media Creation Tool Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Creation Tool Error: I have reverted my system back to its original Windows 7 since my upgrade to Windows 10 have been corrupted. Now I'm getting an Error code: 0x80072F8F - 0x20000 using the Media Creation Tool to upgrade back to Windows 10. Please help. Thank you....
  8. Media Creation Tool error

in Windows 10 Support
    Media Creation Tool error: Hi All, For some weird reason I am getting the error code: 0x80080005-0x90018 when I attempt to download Windows 10 to a USB or a ISO using the Media Creation Tool 21H1.exe. I have never had this problem before. I have tried disabling the 3rd party antivirus ESET and still...
  9. Media creation tool error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Media creation tool error: Error 0x80070057 - 0xA001A I try to download the tool to my USB stick. I have done it in the past succesfully, but now for some reason. Same pc and same stick. It gets to 100%, then the next part gets to 56% or 65% and gets stuck, until i get that error ("Error 0x80070057 -...
  10. media creation tool error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    media creation tool error: I continue to receive the error code 0x800424050xAC01B when trying to use media creation tool. How do I fix it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-creation-tool-error/5e9a0439-ee19-440e-8388-9e24a93af213