Windows 10: Media Creation Tool install on a new ssd.

Discus and support Media Creation Tool install on a new ssd. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In July I downloaded the Media Creation tool and created an USB version of the 29th release. I then used it to upgrade 2 pcs successfully. Now, I think... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JJG10, Aug 27, 2015.

1. JJG10 Win User

Media Creation Tool install on a new ssd.

In July I downloaded the Media Creation tool and created an USB version of the 29th release. I then used it to upgrade 2 pcs successfully. Now, I think I want to do a 'clean install' on a new ssd on another machine. Can I to I clean install with that USB? Seems to me I would have to have a product key or something like that to do an install on the blank ssd. If so where would I get one?

Thank you for any help with this.

:)

JJG10, Aug 27, 2015
  2. slance310 Win User

Clean Install using Media Creation Tool to SSD Stays at 0%

Hi,

You might try an earlier build of Windows 10... The one from the Create Media site may have issues..

But first... select a "Custom" install, delete all partitions you have created, and click NEXT... Do not format...

If you created a GPT drive for UEFI Bios in particular... You may be misjudging which partitions need to be where...

Windows may determine whether to try and install as UEFI or Legacy based upon your boot media as well... If created for Legacy, it will cause problems with UEFI...

One possible way around this would be to select your Flash Drive with Boot Options instead of setting it in the internal Bios... Look for "UEFI USB Flash" and simply "USB Flash"

It can take a good while to copy files depending on your machine and Flash Drive...

Some flash drives are very slow... How long have you been allowing ?

slance310, Aug 27, 2015
  3. Clean Install using Media Creation Tool to SSD Stays at 0%

Update:

I have completely wiped my SSD using DBAN which was successful. I have now tried to install and I still have the same issue.

Next I tried deleting all of the existing partitions as stated here:

How to Perform a Clean Install of Windows 10

And now I have a completely wiped drive, all new partitions and the install still does not happen. I think I have completely run out of options.

Is there a chance that if I were to get actual, physical install media from MS it would work? I don't see how that would make any difference.

Chakster330, Aug 27, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

windows 10 does not use a product key per say.. It needs to see a prior activation of windows 7/8.1/10 on that PC

5. JJG10 Win User
    Thank you/

I understand. That leaves me wondering how one could install Windows 10 on a new build machine with nothing installed on it?

JJG10, Aug 27, 2015
  6. Kyhi Win User
    You would need to purchase a windows 10 license..
    or a windows 7/8/8.1 license and then upgrade to 10

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    It has a current hard drive with Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 on it? Before you connect the new SSD, upgrade the old hard drive to Windows 10 and make sure it is activated. Then I would suggest you remove that hard drive and with the new SSD only installed, do a clean install of Windows 10, which should activate, then you can put the old Hard Drive back in as a secondary storage drive.

When you do the clean install, click the tiny "Skip" text when it asks you for a product key.

NavyLCDR, Aug 27, 2015
  8. Media Creation Tool install on a new ssd.

I am building a new tower soon, and I will be looking at the same process. The way to go is to install a previous version of Windows, activate it, and then do the upgrade. Once completed and I verify all my hardware is working properly, I'll use my USB drive to do a clean install.

If you absolutely have to purchase a license for this other computer, unless you get a deal on an older version, you might as well just buy Windows 10...again, if you need to purchase one.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Media Creation Tool install on a new ssd. - Similar Threads - Media Creation Tool

2. Media Creation Tool Not Installing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool Not Installing: I downloaded Media Creation Tool to a 32 bit Windows 7 Professional OS the laptop is capable of being 64 bit. When I tried to install program, I got an error code: 0x80072F8F-0x20000. I have another laptop that cam with Windows 10, so I need to make a bootable USB because my...
  3. Media Creation Tool Not Installing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Creation Tool Not Installing: I downloaded Media Creation Tool to a 32 bit Windows 7 Professional OS the laptop is capable of being 64 bit. When I tried to install program, I got an error code: 0x80072F8F-0x20000. I have another laptop that cam with Windows 10, so I need to make a bootable USB because my...
  4. Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB: I am trying to create an instillation drive so I can put windows 10 on an HDD, but every time I get the message "8GB of free disk space needed on C:" which is my SSD not my flash drive. The drive is 3.0 usb, 32 GB, so I don't know why it won't target the external drive. It...
  5. New Media Creation Tool for 2020

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Media Creation Tool for 2020: I began a download for the Windows 10 Installation Media and all proceeded normally. It was about 70% when I checked it last time but when I came in now to look at it, it said something about more spaced needed. The usb drive I'll call it a thumbdrive has 16 Gigs on it and...
  6. Media creation tool not installing windows

Media creation tool not installing windows: Hello, I’ve tried to install windows 10 to my computer on a m.2 ssd drive. I had windows on a slow hard drive but deleted it with the tool whilst installing. The problem during the install is quite odd. After selecting the drive for the install and creating partitions...
  7. Media Creation tool won't install

Media Creation tool won't install: I have been experiencing an issue while trying to install the media creation tool for some time now. Each time I attempt at installing it, it gives me an error saying that they are unsure of what the issue is, and gives me a code 0x80200013 - 0x90019. There are a couple...
  8. Windows Creation Tool To A New SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Creation Tool To A New SSD: Hello, recently i built a new pc and would like to sell the old one. The question is since I migrated Windows 10 from the old SSD to a new one, does the tool delete all the files on the previous SSD? I would like to sell the SSD as well, but don't want to sell my old data...
  9. Media Creation Tool installation media query

Media Creation Tool installation media query: Hi all, When Microsoft release a new Windows 10 version, A few days after release I always go to the Microsoft website, download the ISO and create a bootable USB flash drive and store it safely in case I need it for a clean install in the future. I did that with version 1903...
  10. Media creation tool on an SSD/HDD partition?

Media creation tool on an SSD/HDD partition?: Hi, I have used the windows media creation tool in the past with a USB stick to install a fresh copy of Windows 10. However I was wondering if it was possible to do the same thing with an SSD or HDD partition, so that if I were to install the drive to a new machine, the...