Windows 10: Media Creation Tool Question

Discus and support Media Creation Tool Question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a USB installation thumb drive that I created using the Media Creation Tool back in August 2015 to clean install on a new laptop. I may have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TV2, Jan 8, 2016.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Media Creation Tool Question

I have a USB installation thumb drive that I created using the Media Creation Tool back in August 2015 to clean install on a new laptop.
    I may have the time I need to upgrade my desktop and I am preparing everything I need for a clean install.

Will I need to create a new, updated USB installation stick to have all the most recent files and updates for installation of the latest build, or does it not matter and the old stick will work just the same?

TIA

:)

2. aakkam22 Win User

Media creation tool question

Sure, this is an option. Download the MCT on another PC, create the installation drive there, and then plug the newly created media into the PC you want to upgrade. All the files needed for Windows 10 Setup will be on the flash drive.

Media Creation Tool Question [​IMG]

Download MCT Now

aakkam22, Jan 8, 2016
  3. RyanDukes Win User
    Media creation tool question

Can I do the download and USB setup on a different computer then the one I want to do a clean reinstall on. The computer I am using seems to keep having an error at 50%. I was wondering if I can set it up on a different computer and then plug it into this
    one. Will that work or does the Media Creation Tool pull some needed info off of my computer during setup of the usb drive?

Thanks for helping!

- Ryan

RyanDukes, Jan 8, 2016
  4. ramram55 Win User

use old stick to get the windows 10 latest version.

ramram55, Jan 8, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Create a new USB stick.
    The one you have is version 10240.
    The current version is 10586.

davidhk, Jan 8, 2016
  6. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    I guess seniority rules and I should create a new stick! *Wink

7. Word Man Win User
    LOL - more like MS rules on this. The only thing the 10240 stick you are starting with would do is give you clean install, or in-place-upgrade repair, or (possibly as is) DISM /source repairs of the 10240 build. To install, upgrade, or repair the current build 10586, you'd need to do as davidhk suggests.

Word Man, Jan 8, 2016
  8. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Only thinking of clean install.
    Thanks

9. davidhk Win User
    It does not matter how you use it, be it upgrade install or clean install.
    If you want version 10586, you will need to create a new USB downloaded with 10586.
    The one you have will give you 10240.

davidhk, Jan 8, 2016
  10. lmaneke Win User
    I wouldn't go to 10586. To many problems with it. Stick with 10240.

lmaneke, Jan 9, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would go to build 10586 as soon as you can. Better than original 10240 on ten computers in my household.

NavyLCDR, Jan 9, 2016
  12. cereberus Win User
    Silly advice as pc will try and automatically upgrade again and then you will need to block updates to stop that.

cereberus, Jan 9, 2016
  13. lmaneke Win User

It is not silly advice as I have upgraded over 15 PC's to Windows 10 10586, including my own PC, and had constant problems with it on all setups. Driver crashes, Windows explorer crashes, plus boot time went from about 10 seconds to between 3 to 4 minutes on all of them. There are tons of threads everywhere of users having these issues. I reverted back to Windows 10 10240 and all of those problems went away. If others aren't experiencing any problems with the November update, then awesome, but I posted based on my experience with the November update. Heck, I had to use the media creation tool 4 times to get a working ISO for the November update. Yes it will automatically install the November update but it can be deferred.

lmaneke, Jan 9, 2016
  14. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    I did not have any problems with the Nov update to 580 on my laptop.
    I did, however, only install the upgrade update alone. I think that installing it with a bunch of other updates would be problematic on some systems.

15. lmaneke Win User
    3 of my upgrades were done by Windows Update while the others I made a USB stick, and burned a DVD, and all systems had the same symptoms. These occured on both UEFI and non UEFI systems. I always skip Windows updates during a standalone install. I'm happy you didn't have a problem. Wish I could have a successful install of the November update, unless Microsoft has released new install media of the 10586 software initial release.

lmaneke, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Media Creation Tool Question - Similar Threads - Media Creation Tool

2. Windows Media Creation Tool Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Media Creation Tool Question: Hi guys, my pc has been acting up recently so i wanted to reset it, however, I found that I wouldn't have the time to reinstall all my apps and games so I then switched over to the media creation tool. Theres one problem though, my pc was pre built and when we bought it, we...
  3. Windows Media creation tool question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Media creation tool question: Hello all, I'm just wondering if an "ss usb" is the same as a "flash drive usb". I want to create a windows media creation tool to reinstall windows, but I don't want to mess this up. submitted by /u/_Novagrog_ [link] [comments]...
  4. MR Media Creation Tool Question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    MR Media Creation Tool Question: I'm running 1903. When I go to create a bootable rescue media in MR, it brings up a PE 1709 version. Is it safe to assume that all the files and drivers necessary to boot in 1903 is the same as was with 1709? 133940
  5. Windows Media Creation tool Question

Windows Media Creation tool Question: My PC keeps freezing on me and because of my idiocy I did not create a restore drive or create a new install media when I upgraded Win 7 to Win 10. I am needing to reset my Win 10 system and I need to run the media creation tool to help resolve this issue. My question is do I...
  6. Media Creation Tool Question

Media Creation Tool Question: If I use the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB flash drive and then use the flash drive to do a clean install of Windows 10, will WinRE be used for any part of the process? I’m asking because I have an old laptop running Windows 10 that doesn’t like the latest...
  7. Windows 10 media creation tool questions ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 media creation tool questions ?: Hello & Thanks , I couldn't find a Windows 10 Forum , so here goes: Windows 10 went crazy on me . It kept flashing running programs looping them over an over . And wouldn't let me type anything in. So I managed to get it to reinstalling windows 10. I took the shorter...
  8. Media Creation Tool question

Media Creation Tool question: Hi, I have never had any problems using the Media Creation Tool to perform a Windows 10 clean installation until yesterday so I have a couple of questions. 1. The tutorial here says after going to the Microsoft site and selecting the Download Tool (Media Creation Tool)...
  9. Media Creation Tool question

Media Creation Tool question: I plan on doing a clean install. My question is do I still need to upgrade to windows 10 first or can I just enter the windows 7 key during the clean install of windows 10? Thank you for this information 9372
  10. Question about media creation tool

Question about media creation tool: Hello guys. I have just downloaded media creation tool from MS. File version says 10.0.15063.0 Is this the correct version for CU? Can I download the ISO and upgrade my current Anniversary Update? 81291