Windows 10: Media devices are showing my router??

Discus and support Media devices are showing my router?? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Not sure why anybody needs DLNA any more... Jimbo... an interesting post. I appreciate that TenForums isn't the most appropriate forum to find out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RickC, Apr 5, 2018.

1. RickC Win User

Media devices are showing my router??

Jimbo... an interesting post. I appreciate that TenForums isn't the most appropriate forum to find out more about playback of local media on smart TVs. Do you have any suggestions where I could look for answers? Perhaps there's one or more dedicated forums somewhere that I'm not aware of (despite Googling)?

RickC, Apr 5, 2018
  2. meebers Win User

This just recently showed up, my router is now listed (TM-AC1900)under media devices on my W10 desktop. It show pics video's etc from my computer. How can I delete this link/connection. (The router is not shown in network shares)

:)

meebers, Apr 7, 2018
  3. PG6426 Win User
    My nas devices are not showing in Windows File Explorer - Network, Windows 10 version 1703, build 15063.332

I seem to have "fixed" the problem. I systematically unplugged each device from the switch, one at a time, counted to 10, plugged them back in and BINGO there they are in File explorer when I finished (4 x NAS drives, router and PC).

Now, if someone can find a solution so I don't have to go through this procedure again would be great.

Cheers, PG

PG6426, Apr 7, 2018
  4. Maria Fab Win User

My nas devices are not showing in Windows File Explorer - Network, Windows 10 version 1703, build 15063.332

Hello,

Based on the information you've provided, it seems that you've done the possible troubleshooting steps necessary to resolve the concern. We suggest that you post your query in our
    TechNet Forum for further assistance.

Best regards.

Maria Fab, Apr 7, 2018
  5. You have to go into your router settings and disable DLNA media server. On many routers it's on by default since they can share media content over the network from USB storage you connect to it.

slicendice, Apr 7, 2018
  6. meebers Win User
    Tx for that. Took quite a while to locate it (usb application function). I had it on once several months ago testing a small usb drive on the router, but it never showed up on Media devices until recently *chuckle

meebers, Apr 7, 2018
  7. You're welcome!

HAHAH, Yep, DLNA broadcasting is a mess. Sometimes it shows up immediately, but sometimes it can take months for it to appear.

Glad you figured out where to disable DLNA. Those more advanced routers can be tricky to navigate and nothing is ever in a logical place. (In My Honest Opinion) *Smile

slicendice, Apr 8, 2018
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Not sure why anybody needs DLNA any more --IMO the best way is just to ensure the remote (client) devices can access media files via network share (usually something like SAMBA from a NAS type server) and have the player on the client -- saves also loading any type of multi-media server on the server. Things like Amazon TV boxes / sticks can load KODI which plays even more formats than VLC and can also stream and most TV's now have Netflix / Amazon Prime etc also built in.

The advantage also is that any multi-media transcoding is done on the client device rather than the server -- amazon TV box has decent CPU, so do a lot of modern smart TV's. Means then of course server CPU doesn't have to be powerful so ideal to use old computer / laptop !!!! instead of taking it to the tip.

I don't even like the idea of attaching a USB HDD to a router -- if you want shared devices do it via a server -- where in this case an old slow laptop is good enough to use as a server for for media streaming.

Even for 4K UHD TV a speed of 8Mb/s on your internal network is more than good enough. For standard Full HD 1080p (1920 X 1080) then 2Mb/s is easily sufficient -- note this is what you need from your own internal network -- typical isp speeds are a lot higher of course.

For simple file sharing a server for a home network doesn't have to be powerful at all -- just ensure that it can handle plenty of storage space -- external USB HDD's to an old laptop / desktop are fine as well.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Media devices are showing my router?? - Similar Threads - Media devices are

2. Router's SSID Not Showing Up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Router's SSID Not Showing Up: Windows 10 available networks does not show the router that is 10' away on my ASUS ROG G751JT. Shows up on my phones, tablets and various other computers. I booted to Ubuntu and it shows fine on the ROG. The SSID was used on a prior router so I deleted the saved network SSID...
  3. 2 routers - access to outside router devices

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    2 routers - access to outside router devices: I have an ASUS router rt-ac66u behind an HH3000 routerSagecomm 5566. When directly connected to the HH3000 by WiFi, I can see It's USB storage using \\mynetwork in documentation per the ISPs instruction. When only connected to the ASUS i did setup a route and, I can ping...
  4. Network drive attached to TPlink 2300 router appears as a media device

Network drive attached to TPlink 2300 router appears as a media device: I've spent ages trying to get a Samsung T5 drive attached by USB to my TPLink 2300 router to work as networked storage over my wireless network. My laptop PCs apparently see the drive as a media device (MiniDLNA) and although I can see all the folders only files such as jpg...
  5. my wifi router name is not showing is it is the problem of my router ?

my wifi router name is not showing is it is the problem of my router ?: After updating my pc it's not showing me the name of my router it is showing all the wifi networks name at my house but it's not showing the name of router . is this the problem of my router because i have already done all the setting that was given by Microsoft .pls pls...
  6. Hard drives show as Media Devices in Network Devices.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drives show as Media Devices in Network Devices.: Windows 10 Home 2004 version I am trying to set up file sharing between my computers on the same router. After going through every step in all documents on the subject numerous times, the best I can do on one computer is see very limited folders, no documents no pictures....
  7. Windows Sees Hard Drive Connected to Router via USB as a Media Device.

Windows Sees Hard Drive Connected to Router via USB as a Media Device.: I recently hooked up a hard drive to my Netgear Night Hawk R6400. I wanted to be able to play my media on my SmartTV but also be able to use it as well to download and save files to. My Windows 10 64bit HP 15 Touchsmart Laptop sees the hard drive, but as a media device....
  8. Network drives are showing as Media Devices

Network drives are showing as Media Devices: I just made a new install of Windows 10 and at first the other networked drives on my home server where showing correctly but now they appear in the Network screen as Media Devices. I'm not sure when it happened but I did reboot to change security settings, could this do...
  9. NAS device shows as Media device

NAS device shows as Media device: I have some NAS devices attached to my home network. When Win 10 boots up it correctly identifies them as NAS devices But when I return to my machine after a period away the NAS devices have been classed as Media devices and so cannot be accessed In this case I have to...
  10. Windows 10 Not Showing my router

Windows 10 Not Showing my router: Hey so I decided to take the plunge and upgrade from windows 7 professional 64bit to windows 10 pro and safe to say I am not impressed so far, boot times are 2x as long as windows 7 and the wifi list is showing it seems every single damn router in the village apart from mine!...