Windows 10: Media Feature Pack won't install

Discus and support Media Feature Pack won't install in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have just installed a clean copy of 10 Enterprise LTSB N edition x64. My source ISO is the latest available from MSDN. I am trying to install the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AnonVendetta, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Media Feature Pack won't install

Hi, I have just installed a clean copy of 10 Enterprise LTSB N edition x64. My source ISO is the latest available from MSDN. I am trying to install the Media Feature Pack because a few applications need it, but the installer seems hung. The installer version is the latest, KB3133719. It has been running for a few hours now and the window only says "Installation status: initializing installation...". The green bar at the bottom hasn't moved either. At the top of the window it says "Download and install updates", I have tried both with and without an Internet connection but nothing happens. I was able to install an older version of MFP offline awhile back, no issues. In Task Manager its' associated process registers only 2,448K of RAM usage and virtually no CPU usage, which indicates to me that the process is either dead or hung. I have ran sfc /scannow, nothing is corrupt. Doing a health check with dism reveals no issues. And volume corruption scans show nothing wrong either. Thusfar the only thing that has been done is connecting to the Internet to install Windows Updates, no other modifications have been made. I'm sure I'm using the correct version of MFP, so I cant come up with a good reason why it's not installing on a clean system.

:)

AnonVendetta, Nov 5, 2016

2. Google android composite interface driver is not compatible

The Media Feature Pack is only for Windows 10 N, you are running Pro so it won't install.

David Vair, Nov 5, 2016
  3. Tom T NH Win User
    Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 'N' was removed by the 1511 Update. Now Feature Pack won't install properly

I suspect that the reason you're seeing that message is that you're trying to install the wrong version of the Media Feature Pack. The KB numbers you referenced above are for the Windows 10 1511 version feature pack. Are you perhaps using the new Windows
    10 1703 version? If so, you can find the latest version of the feature pack at:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...edition-of-windows-10-version-1703-april-2017

It seems that every time MS releases a major version update to Windows, there is a new version of the feature pack to go along with it. In other words, the 1511 Media Feature Pack won't work for Windows versions 1607 or 1703. So the reason you're seeing
    the "Media Feature Pack already installed" message is probably that it has detected that you installed a feature pack, but it's not the right one ... thus it's non-functional.

Tom T NH, Nov 5, 2016
  4. Media Feature Pack won't install

If you have an MSDN subscription, why not just install the non N version?

alphanumeric, Nov 5, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
    You told that you are sure about using the correct Media Feature Pack but it's still worth checking:

• KB3099229 = Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 version 1511, builds 10586 to 11102
    • KB3133719 = Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 version 1607, builds 14257 (first preview) and later
    I have installed and use KB3133719 without any issues in version 1607 PRO and Education editions. If you are sure you have the correct bit version of latest MFP and you are running Windows 10 version 1607, it should work.

There is one really good reason to use N versions.

At least my MSDN subscriptions have a limited number of product keys available. For example the one I have through Microsoft Partner Network has, in addition to Multiple Activation Keys, five retail keys per Windows version and edition, also for N versions.

As an N version becomes a full version with MFP (full as in absolutely no difference), installing N versions and activating them with available N keys then installing MFP I can double the amount of my usable activations in this one subscription.

Kari, Nov 5, 2016
  6. I just got it installed. It turns out it was hanging because I was running the installer from an external HDD. So I copied to the internal SSD and ran it again, it installed fine in seconds. Maybe the external drive had errors or some other issue that was causing the hangup.

As I already stated, I have the Enterprise LTSB N version of 10, which isn't the same as the regular consumer-focused 10 builds. I don't even know what build I have, although I think it's the LTSB equivalent of the anniversary update, since the ISO was released to MSDN in September or October if I recall correctly.

@alphanumeric: I'm choosing to use N because it has a smaller installed footprint than the regular editions, even with MFP installed. I also installed it with US English as my default language.

Maybe someone can explain to me why an edition of Windows targeted primarily at Europe, has US English as the default language. I've always wondered about this.

AnonVendetta, Nov 5, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    Because you have downloaded US English language version. If you had download UK English version default install language & keyboard layout (input language) had been UK English, time format British, currency symbol £ and default location United Kingdom,

Media Feature Pack won't install [​IMG]

Regardless of which version and edition of Windows you install, all these defaults are always automatically set according to the language of the install media. This applies to N versions, too. Living expat life here in Germany, I installed Windows 10 in Swedish yesterday on a virtual machine which set languages automatically as Swedish, location Sweden, time and currency formats as Swedish.

That you are using a version of Windows 10 that is made for European market has nothing to do it. My native languages are Finnish and Swedish, yet on my main computers I only install English Windows, in my case UK English. I know quite a many geeks doing the same, installing English Windows regardless their native languages, not to speak about corporate environments.

I know for sure that multinational companies in Europe prefer English Windows on their workstations for their international workforce. An OS version does not mean that it is available and usable only in a single country, US English Windows 10, even LTSB N is naturally also available in rest of the world, and each user can set the defaults to his / her needs.

As there have to some defaults, Windows uses this simple logic: Someone using US English Windows probably wants all defaults to be US English.

Kari, Nov 5, 2016
  8. Media Feature Pack won't install

Ok, all makes sense as to why now.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Media Feature Pack won't install

1. Media Feature Pack won't install - Similar Threads - Media Feature Pack

2. How to install Media Feature Pack?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install Media Feature Pack?: I can't seem to install Media Feature Pack.If I go to Apps > Optional Features and install from there then it says Couldn't install.Another way I tries is in PowerShell:DISM /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:Media.MediaFeaturePack~~~~0.0.1.0Which outputs:Deployment...
  3. Installing Media Feature Pack

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Media Feature Pack: Hi, I have some issues when installing Media Feature Pack.I am following these guides -...
  4. Installing Media Feature Pack

Installing Media Feature Pack: Hi, I have some issues when installing Media Feature Pack.I am following these guides -...
  5. Cannot install Media Feature pack

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot install Media Feature pack: I have to install media feature pack in order to use the camera but it says the update is not applicable to my computer. I have Windows 10 Pro N https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-install-media-feature-pack/289bb7d4-0b9b-4e95-aa8d-b181c64aac0c
  6. installing media feature pack

in Windows 10 Customization
    installing media feature pack: installing media feature pack from settings, takes too long , windows version 1909 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-media-feature-pack/4239934f-55d1-4184-b557-9e11846f4570
  7. How to Install Media Feature Pack

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Install Media Feature Pack: I was trying to download PS4 Remote Play on a laptop, then an error occurred [ATTACH] I tried going to Settings>Apps>Apps and Features>Optional Feature>Add Feature then Installing Media Feature Pack but the problem is there is no Media Feature Pack in the list. [ATTACH]...
  8. Media feature pack won't install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Media feature pack won't install?: Running education N, build 19027.1. The download from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/mediafeaturepack gives "This update not applicable to your computer" submitted by /u/thebadslime [link] [comments]...
  9. Cannot Install Media Feature Pack.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Install Media Feature Pack.: Currently I cannot install the Media Feature pack. Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 SO 18362.449 When I try to install the Pack it returns the following error: "The update is no aplicable to your computer"...
  10. Windows N won't install Media Feature Pack

Windows N won't install Media Feature Pack: Hi All I am trying to install the windows media features pack (x64) from the following link - Download Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 10 from Official Microsoft Download Center. The issue I am having is when I run the installation file I am getting...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. feature pack n wont install

2. media feature pack windows 10 wont install