Windows 10: Media Player Plays Nothing, Says Player Might Not Support It

Discus and support Media Player Plays Nothing, Says Player Might Not Support It in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I finally updated my laptop to Win10 and I'm having troubles with Media Player. No matter what media file type (.mp3, .mp4, .wmv, etc.) from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Arelem, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Arelem Win User

Media Player Plays Nothing, Says Player Might Not Support It

I finally updated my laptop to Win10 and I'm having troubles with Media Player.

No matter what media file type (.mp3, .mp4, .wmv, etc.) from whatever location (local drive, across home network, thumb drive), WMP won't play it. All I get is that all too familiar error message:

"Windows Media Player cannot play this file. The player might not
    support the file type or might not support the codec that was used
    to compress the file"

I have looked for codec packs and can't find any. All these files work fine on my Win10 desktop that was also upgraded from Win7 Ultimate. The laptop does play system sounds fine, but that's it.

I have searched the forums but can't find anything and, no, I don't want to download and install VLC Player (a common response I have seen on a lot of the other threads)

Can anyone can help? Thanks.

:)

Arelem, Jan 13, 2016

2. windows media player wont play my dvd in D:drive?

im trying to play a dvd in my D drive and it allways says Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

CharlesTucker1, Jan 13, 2016
  3. FoxTwinz Win User
    Why Can't I Watch My Videos?

When I play the videos in Movies & TV only sound plays

When I play it in Windows media player a box pops up and says "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

My graphics card is up to date ...

Sims 4 says that Origin is already running even after restarting my computer and closing everything

FoxTwinz, Jan 13, 2016
  4. PJLLB Win User

I would uninstall WMP using the Programs and Features>>Turn Windows features on and off>>Media Features in Control Panel, and then restart, reinstall, and then restart.

PJLLB, Jan 14, 2016
Thema:

1. Media Player Plays Nothing, Says Player Might Not Support It - Similar Threads - Media Player Plays

2. ~ Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ~ Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or...: I need help playing my saved videos. This is the error message ~Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file....
  3. ~ Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ~ Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or...: I need help playing my saved videos. This is the error message ~Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file....
  4. Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or...: Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file....
  5. Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or...

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or...: Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file....
  6. Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or...

8. Media player Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media player Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the...: Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.What to do ?...
  9. Media player Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the...

Media player Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the...: Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.What to do ?...
  10. window media player not playing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    window media player not playing: hi my windows media player is not playing my cd / dvds https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-media-player-not-playing/4ebe7a1e-b5f8-4a2c-a9ee-38dfe6511744