Windows 10: Meeting the Free Upgrade Deadline

Discus and support Meeting the Free Upgrade Deadline in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently purchased an old PC from a garage sale. I'm always looking for bargains to satisfy my tinkering obsession. I fired it up before I bought it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dlwmacgregor, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Meeting the Free Upgrade Deadline

I recently purchased an old PC from a garage sale. I'm always looking for bargains to satisfy my tinkering obsession.
    I fired it up before I bought it and saw it had Windows 7 Home on it.
    I brought it home and discovered the reason why they were probably selling it...the onboard LAN chip was dead.
    So I ordered a PCI NIC which hopefully arrives by July 29th.
    I used the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to download the latest Windows 10 ISO.
    I plan to upgrade this "spare" PC.
    If the ordered NIC doesn't arrive by July 29th am I out of luck for the free upgrade?

:)

dlwmacgregor, Jul 25, 2016

2. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 just deleted ALL my files and many apps

You are not the only one, many users have been reporting the same with this upgrade. Looks like not enough testing went into it to meet the October deadline.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 25, 2016
  3. Error: "Unable to install Windows 10 - unknown error: 0xC1900101-0x30018" while trying to upgrade to Windows 10

As the free upgrade deadline has now passed it is unclear whether I can now download the ISO version for free. I tried many times to upgrade to Windows 10 before the deadline.

Simon Tomp, Jul 25, 2016
  4. Meeting the Free Upgrade Deadline

Yes, you'd be out of luck. Unless Microsoft decides to change there deadline date, which I seriously doubt.

Nothing wrong with keeping it Windows 7, it's a great OS. After the deadline date to upgrade passes, run windows update to bring it current. I may need many updates if it was inactive for a long time or wasn't set to auto updates.

Just curious, what is the brand and model of the computer you found at the garage sale?

John

AmericanPharaoh, Jul 25, 2016
  5. z3r010 Win User
    If you have a smart phone/tablet you could may be try to USB tether it and share it's connection.

z3r010, Jul 25, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why do you think he is out of luck for the free upgrade just because he does not have a NIC in the computer? Create a USB flash drive or DVD from the downloaded ISO file. Do the upgrade from the flash drive or DVD. Call the Microsoft activation number to activate it on the phone. If you can't get the phone activation to come up, right click on the start icon, select Command Prompt (Admin). In the command prompt window run:

slui 4

NavyLCDR, Jul 25, 2016
  7. z3r010 Win User
    Would phone activation work though as it snapshot's the PC for future keyless upgrades?

z3r010, Jul 25, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Meeting the Free Upgrade Deadline

Yes.

NavyLCDR, Jul 25, 2016
  9. Thanks, for pointing out this alterative. I've been off the forum/s for nearly a year due to health issues. Unfortunately, my computer help skills have suffered from this time away. However, I'm certainly glad we have experts here, such as you, to point out other ways to a fix.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Jul 26, 2016
  10. Superfly Win User
    Just an FYI:
    NIC forms a huge part of the hardware ID ( or did in the old days where one could move a network card from one PC to another and the XP OEM key would activate as if the same hardware) - things have changed a lot since though, so maybe it's not as important for digital licensing now. Agree with Navy, phone activation is worth a try.

Superfly, Jul 26, 2016
  11. OK. I got the PCI NIC and it works but now I have another problem.

When I run the Setup for Win10 64-Bit from the Win10 ISO CD it tells me that "This PC can't run Windows 10 with 2 error messages.
    It says that the CPU (P4 Celeron Prescott) doesn't support LAHF/SAHF and PrefetchW.
    I ran Coreinfo and it showed support for both.
    Any ideas why it won't let me upgrade?

Thanks

dlwmacgregor, Jul 27, 2016
  12. Spike999 Win User
    Are they enabled? Just thinking out loud here....don't even know if they can be disabled.

Spike999, Jul 27, 2016
  13. Meeting the Free Upgrade Deadline

They are enabled by default.

dlwmacgregor, Jul 27, 2016
  14. I guess nobody wants to help me.

dlwmacgregor, Jul 28, 2016
  15. bobkn Win User
    Running out of ideas, I suppose.

Does it really have the 64 bit version of Windows 7 on it? Seems unlikely for an old PC like that. I look back over the thread, and see that you don't specify.

If it's 32 bit, it cannot be upgraded directly to Win 10 X64. My apologies if this is an insult, although it isn't intended that way.

Suggestion: upgrade it to X86 (32 bit). You may then clean install X64 in the future, and Microsoft's servers will activate it online. (The "digital entitlement" is valid for either version.)

bobkn, Jul 28, 2016
Thema:

Meeting the Free Upgrade Deadline

1. Meeting the Free Upgrade Deadline - Similar Threads - Meeting Free Upgrade

2. free upgrade??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    free upgrade??: hi, i am considering upgrading to win 10 form my win 8. my pc meets requirements, but im wondering, if it will be free??.thank you fo reply https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-upgrade/f4e0762c-6cfd-4881-8b5e-f4824d403877
  3. software upgrade deadline

in Windows 10 Gaming
    software upgrade deadline: A retailer sold me a pc by phone, saying that its store could upgrade my software for no charge. That's not true, it charges $100 for the service. I want to change my Windows 11 machine to Windows 10 pro. How long after activation do I have to upgrade it myself?...
  4. software upgrade deadline

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    software upgrade deadline: A retailer sold me a pc by phone, saying that its store could upgrade my software for no charge. That's not true, it charges $100 for the service. I want to change my Windows 11 machine to Windows 10 pro. How long after activation do I have to upgrade it myself?...
  5. Dec 31, 2017 Deadline free win 7 to Win 10 upgrade approaching

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dec 31, 2017 Deadline free win 7 to Win 10 upgrade approaching: For all those that were not aware the deadline is soon approaching (December 31, 2017) for the last free upgrades from Windows 7 to Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users Microsoft: Final Free Windows 10 Upgrade Offer Ends Dec. 31 | News & Opinion...
  6. Windows 10 upgrade deadline?

Windows 10 upgrade deadline?: It must be getting close to the 1-year interval for W10 upgrades, and I'm not good with dates. Is it too late? My computer is 5 years old. Here's my experience with upgrading to 10: First, I ran the upgrader from Windows 7, and got upgraded with no trouble. There were a...
  7. What ends the free update deadline...ISO download or registration?

What ends the free update deadline...ISO download or registration?: I've downloaded the Win10 ISO to upgrade my Win 7, but I don't want to perform the upgrade at this time. Does anyone know if the "free upgrade" is keyed to the download of the ISO, meaning I can install after the deadline without cost? Or when I install, if after the...
  8. UPGRADE FINISH IF STARTED B4 DEADLINE?

UPGRADE FINISH IF STARTED B4 DEADLINE?: Ok, now that I have my PC1 upgrading (95% installed) but found it takes quite a while. Some say over 24 hours. So I will be starting the PC2 upgrade within 1 hour. If I do, will the upgrade fully complete even after the upgrade time deadline. Anyone know for sure, and that?...
  9. Introducing free Skype Meetings

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing free Skype Meetings: [img] We’re pleased to introduce free Skype Meetings—a new online meetings tool that provides small businesses with real-time audio and HD video conferencing. Skype Meetings includes collaboration features like the ability to share screens and content during meetings....
  10. When is the deadline for upgrading from Win7, 8, 8.1

in Windows 10 Support
    When is the deadline for upgrading from Win7, 8, 8.1: Hi, i just want to know the deadline for upgrading from Windows 7 or 8. 57249