Windows 10: Meltdown, spectre and old motherboard and CPU.

Discus and support Meltdown, spectre and old motherboard and CPU. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am running FCU Win 10 Pro on a MSI P35 Neo F v1 motherboard with Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU. I have ran the MS controlsettings script which informs me I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by banger, Jan 6, 2018.

1. banger Win User

Meltdown, spectre and old motherboard and CPU.

I am running FCU Win 10 Pro on a MSI P35 Neo F v1 motherboard with Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU. I have ran the MS controlsettings script which informs me I am protected from Spectre by Windows Update but not Meltdown without a BIOS/Microcode update.

As this is a 2008 motherboard I very much doubt a BIOS update will be forthcoming from MSI and the windows patch is not enabled due to hardware firmware update required. Is this the end for my machine which quite happily runs Windows 10 Pro and all my loaded programs or is there a known workaround to enable the windows meltdown patch without BIOS update?

:)

banger, Jan 6, 2018
  2. Jsssssssss, Jan 6, 2018
  3. johnrueda Win User
    Gaming performance on Windows 10 1709

No ,the issues cause by the ugly patch from CPU's Intel to meltdown and spectre.

johnrueda, Jan 6, 2018
  4. Meltdown, spectre and old motherboard and CPU.

It depends on what you do on your machine.

If you just play games it shouldn't really matter.

OTOH, if you do stuff that you want to keep secret (like banking) it could be an issue.

A possible option is to use a Live Linux CD/DVD/USB (or install a Linux distro including the appropriate patches) on your machine and do your banking using that.

lehnerus2000, Jan 6, 2018
  5. banger Win User
    Yes I do banking although my bank website has username and password also has dropdown mouse selectable memorable word characters which is pretty secure. Wont a Linux distro also be susceptible to Meltdown if the hardware patch isn't in place or do you mean just boot to linux and do banking and nothing else eg no other tabs open?

banger, Jan 6, 2018
  6. Well ... if there's no fix for your old computer, then you're screwed.

Oh wait! File a class-action lawsuit again Intel!

Oh wait! That's already being done!

Just wait for around five years and you get your settlement ... perhaps $10. Whoopee!

margrave55, Jan 6, 2018
  7. Cliff S New Member
    I don't think that old timer from Q1 2008 is effected.

Intel Core™2 Duo Processor E8400 (6M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) Product Specifications

See"Which Intel-based platforms are affected by or vulnerable to the issue?": Facts about Side-Channel Analysis and Intel Products

Cliff S, Jan 6, 2018
  8. Meltdown, spectre and old motherboard and CPU.

If you have an installed Linux Distro it will be vulnerable until the patches are released.

Presumably the current Live CD/DVD/USB images don't include the appropriate patches.

I'm not sure when each Linux Distro will release the new patched Live CD/DVD/USB versions.
    You'd have to ask/check on the appropriate forums.
    I've read that Ubuntu will be releasing it's patches on January 9 (I use Linux Mint so I'm going to have to ask/check on their forum)

However, you should be reasonably safe if you use a Live CD/DVD/USB:
    • Only open the browser (usually Firefox)
    • Type the address in the Address bar (don't use any search engines or open any tabs)

The Live CD/DVD/USB shouldn't leave any files on your HDD/SSD.

I haven't read of any known malware that is using these exploits.
    There is "Proof Of Concept" code, so presumably hackers are going to be releasing malware soon.

It's possible that installed versions of Windows and Linux are safe to use as long as you:
    • Run your AV in Windows
    • Make sure that the browser caches are empty
    • Type the address in the Address bar (don't use any search engines or open any tabs)

Firefox has released patches to try to block this exploit:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/mozil...s-519241.shtml

It seems that Chrome won't be patched for a couple of weeks:
    https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...fix-version-64
    Here is a link about precautions you can take in the meantime:
    http://mashable.com/2018/01/04/googl...tion-meltdown/

lehnerus2000, Jan 6, 2018
  9. roy111 Win User
    As many users I'm also trying to wrap my head around this meltdown, there are a lot of general and vague articles maybe because the disclosure was not supposed before 01092018 (?).

I'm more than happy if someone will correct me if i'm wrong, and help me better understand.

What i understand on the Linux situation is that there are mitigation patches and the release process is not finished yet.

What mitigation can i have (in Linux):

Kernel patches (KPTI) to mitigate "Meltdown" and "Spectre": CVE-2017-5754 CVE-2017-5753 CVE-2017-5715 this works at OS level and does not remove the hardware bug. This should prevent the OS vulnerabilities.

Microcode drivers updates, this could eventually bypass the old motherboard issue:

From Debian:

This situation is a brilliant example to me of how free/open source software is so valuable, we wouldn't be at the mercy of xxx for our "old" hardware.

Kernel patches, When? Ubuntu:

Is January 9 patch Tuesday?

January 3, 2018 - KB4056892 does this patch the win 10 kernel for meltdown and spectre? I suppose yes(?).

Win 7 an 8.1 kernel patches should be released also.

roy111, Jan 6, 2018
  10. margrave55, Jan 6, 2018
  11. bobkn Win User
    To paraphrase an old joke:

Doctor, my passwords may be stolen if I downloaded malware that exploits the meltdown (or spectre) vulnerabilities.

Doctor: then don't do that.

bobkn, Jan 6, 2018
  12. banger Win User
    banger, Jan 6, 2018
  13. Eagle51 Win User

Hey Banger,
    I tried updating the micro code using that on my old E5700 (Gateway SX2801 in specs) and it wasn't applicable. I think those of us with old cpus/hardware are SOL, since it's very doubtful we'll be getting a BIOS update to go along with MS Updates, etc *Sad

Eagle51, Jan 6, 2018
  14. banger Win User
    That's what worries me.

banger, Jan 6, 2018
  15. bordi Win User
    Maybe it’s a well thought out plan to cleanse the world of the older systems
    Makes good business sense

bordi, Jan 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Meltdown, spectre and old motherboard and CPU. - Similar Threads - Meltdown spectre old

2. Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.: Hi, a couple of days ago I disabled Spectre and Meltdown on my Windows 11 22H2 Laptop and now I am trying to enable it again but I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried using a app called "InSpectre" to enable it but it didn't work and i also changed a couple of registry...
  3. Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.: Hi, a couple of days ago I disabled Spectre and Meltdown on my Windows 11 22H2 Laptop and now I am trying to enable it again but I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried using a app called "InSpectre" to enable it but it didn't work and i also changed a couple of registry...
  4. Spectre and meltdown test

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Spectre and meltdown test: Is there a way I can test for recent spectre vulnerabilities on win 10? All the tools I find online do not test for more recent issues submitted by /u/nocturnal_complex90 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k4un5t/spectre_and_meltdown_test/
  5. spectre and meltdown

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    spectre and meltdown: After installed windows 10 1809 from 1709. I haven't perform any bios/uefi update except windows update. But inspectre program says microcode update available: yes instead of no. not to mention last time I performed bios/uefi update about 2 years ago. I'm...
  6. Question about Spectre and Meltdown

Question about Spectre and Meltdown: I recently updated windows 10 1809 from 1709. on topic, is my laptop spectre or meltdown proof. please explain this picture [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-spectre-and-meltdown/20b0315e-d783-4364-8721-91f662c97fb0"
  7. Meltdown/Spectre & Antivirus little Question

Meltdown/Spectre & Antivirus little Question: Hi All Currently running Avast Free on all systems, Malwarebytes Free on all system as secondary scanner, now what i'm wondering is if i'd be safe if I choose to use Defender and Malwarebytes Free when Redstone 4 is Offical next month, as not sure if Avast slows things...
  8. Spectre / Meltdown Looms?

Spectre / Meltdown Looms?: Maybe arriving soon? See http://www.securityweek.com/malware-...-flaws-emerges 103802
  9. Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined it for me!

in Windows 10 Support
    Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined it for me!: Well as the title says the Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined the good experience I was having with my PC and it now feels like I am using a very old and out of date laptop. I must agree that my laptop is pretty old (HP Elitebook 8770W 5 years old). But I really never felt...
  10. Spectre and Meltdown: Cheat sheet

in Windows 10 News
    Spectre and Meltdown: Cheat sheet: What are the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities, and how do they affect you? This essential guide will tell you everything you need to know about Spectre and Meltdown. Spectre and Meltdown: Cheat sheet - TechRepublic 103219