Windows 10: Meltdown/Spectre & Antivirus little Question

Discus and support Meltdown/Spectre & Antivirus little Question in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi All Currently running Avast Free on all systems, Malwarebytes Free on all system as secondary scanner, now what i'm wondering is if i'd be safe... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AMDMan2016, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Meltdown/Spectre & Antivirus little Question

Hi All

Currently running Avast Free on all systems, Malwarebytes Free on all system as secondary scanner, now what i'm wondering is if i'd be safe if I choose to use Defender and Malwarebytes Free when Redstone 4 is Offical next month, as not sure if Avast slows things down or not, but do see ads from time to time, so debating on if gonna stay with it as I always done or finally stick with Defender on the Windows 10 PC's (3 of them)

Originally tested Windows Live One care way back in 2005/2006, and got a severe infection at the time (my own fault though) anyways been sorta nervous on sticking with Defender for protection ever since, but do want the best possible performance out of the system as possible, Am planning on updating bios for Spectre when released for the systems as i'll feel safer fully secure

:)

AMDMan2016, Feb 9, 2018
  2. Pixelme Win User

Windows Update Intel Patches for Meltdown & Spectre

URGENT - Please Microsoft:

1. Provide a List of Windows Updates that included the (bad) Intel Patches for Meltdown & Spectre (which Intel now say should NOT be installed).

2. Advise IF (and HOW) the Windows Updates that included (bad) Intel Patches for Meltdown & Spectre should be 'removed' by End Users?

3. If Microsoft Identifies (to it's Community) Windows Updates that included (bad) Intel Patches, can Users remove them - while still getting any other 'fixes' (that did NOT relate to Meltdown & Spectre) included in the Same Windows Updates that contained
    the (bad) Patches for Meltdown & Spectre?

4. How do Users ensure that ant Windows Updates they remove - to 'eject' the (bad) Intel Patch for Meltdown & Spectre - are not 'automatically' re-installed' later - by Automatic Windows Updates, when Windows notices the 'removed updates' are not installed?

Note: I've looked at the Microsoft.com Descriptions of Numerous Recent Windows Updates and (although some refer to 'security') none seem to specifically mention Intel, Meltdown or Spectre - so I can't determine which Windows Updates included the 'bad' Intel
    Patches.

Pixelme, Feb 9, 2018
  3. Wyeth Win User
  4. Meltdown/Spectre & Antivirus little Question

Malwarebytes Free edition is not a live scanner. You will have to manually scan with it.

If you are looking to dump off Avast Free, I would advise swapping over to Windows Defender. It will do a decent job for you.

As for the advertisements, use a tool like the MVPS HOST File to block ads: Protect and Stop Malicious Internet Advertisements - Qwerty Articles

Masterchiefxx17, Feb 9, 2018
  5. Possibly might dump off Avast Free, knows Defender will do Decent, I know Malwarebytes Free is on demand scanner, and have to run it manually, might take the time to work on that possibly even tomorrow

AMDMan2016, Feb 9, 2018
  6. Hi,
    You might try Panda free.
    Their downloads come from the same crapware adding service as Avast so be sure to uncheck the added crapware on the install options.

ThrashZone, Feb 10, 2018
  7. Will Remember to uncheck during install any optional options....Thanks so much for the replies, think will be fine hopefully lol, and just keep all other software up to date, and should be fine, and weekly macrium reflect image backups

AMDMan2016, Feb 10, 2018
  8. Meltdown/Spectre & Antivirus little Question

As a working tech, I will not run Avast!

Defender is much better than it used to be, and with some FREE help, it will suffice. I use it myself and I like that it runs so quiet in the background, with NO ads, banners or pop-ups.
    What help you may ask? Well, Malware Bytes is a good start, but it misses a lot, like Tracking Cookies that CAN be dangerous.
    To eliminate those and some other PUPS, etc., I use Super Anti Spyware (free) and Spyware Blaster, also free.

I like Super Anti-Spyware so much, that I bought a Lifetime license for the program, and I have it set to run a daily update and scan.

Happiness is a Clean Computer!

Cheers mates!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Meltdown/Spectre & Antivirus little Question

1. Meltdown/Spectre & Antivirus little Question - Similar Threads - Meltdown Spectre Antivirus

2. Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.: Hi, a couple of days ago I disabled Spectre and Meltdown on my Windows 11 22H2 Laptop and now I am trying to enable it again but I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried using a app called "InSpectre" to enable it but it didn't work and i also changed a couple of registry...
  3. Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.: Hi, a couple of days ago I disabled Spectre and Meltdown on my Windows 11 22H2 Laptop and now I am trying to enable it again but I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried using a app called "InSpectre" to enable it but it didn't work and i also changed a couple of registry...
  4. Spectre and meltdown test

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Spectre and meltdown test: Is there a way I can test for recent spectre vulnerabilities on win 10? All the tools I find online do not test for more recent issues submitted by /u/nocturnal_complex90 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k4un5t/spectre_and_meltdown_test/
  5. spectre and meltdown

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    spectre and meltdown: After installed windows 10 1809 from 1709. I haven't perform any bios/uefi update except windows update. But inspectre program says microcode update available: yes instead of no. not to mention last time I performed bios/uefi update about 2 years ago. I'm...
  6. Question about Spectre and Meltdown

Question about Spectre and Meltdown: I recently updated windows 10 1809 from 1709. on topic, is my laptop spectre or meltdown proof. please explain this picture [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-spectre-and-meltdown/20b0315e-d783-4364-8721-91f662c97fb0"
  7. Spectre / Meltdown Looms?

Spectre / Meltdown Looms?: Maybe arriving soon? See http://www.securityweek.com/malware-...-flaws-emerges 103802
  8. Meltdown, spectre and old motherboard and CPU.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Meltdown, spectre and old motherboard and CPU.: I am running FCU Win 10 Pro on a MSI P35 Neo F v1 motherboard with Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU. I have ran the MS controlsettings script which informs me I am protected from Spectre by Windows Update but not Meltdown without a BIOS/Microcode update. As this is a 2008 motherboard...
  9. Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined it for me!

in Windows 10 Support
    Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined it for me!: Well as the title says the Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined the good experience I was having with my PC and it now feels like I am using a very old and out of date laptop. I must agree that my laptop is pretty old (HP Elitebook 8770W 5 years old). But I really never felt...
  10. Spectre and Meltdown: Cheat sheet

in Windows 10 News
    Spectre and Meltdown: Cheat sheet: What are the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities, and how do they affect you? This essential guide will tell you everything you need to know about Spectre and Meltdown. Spectre and Meltdown: Cheat sheet - TechRepublic 103219