Windows 10: Memory consumption with disk write, not released for other programs

Discus and support Memory consumption with disk write, not released for other programs in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I got a nice shiny new 2 TB hard drive to go with my upgrade to Windows 10. Because I was so excited to have this, I left my computer on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Arioth, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Arioth Win User

Memory consumption with disk write, not released for other programs

Hello,
    I got a nice shiny new 2 TB hard drive to go with my upgrade to Windows 10. Because I was so excited to have this, I left my computer on overnight downloading a ridiculous amount of games over Steam, dozens of GB. I woke to discover less than half of the operations were performed, and the system was hanged. I was hunting down a solution, and I happened to notice as I had resumed the download after rebooting that the memory usage was getting higher and higher. I have 16 GB so was quite startled to see 80% usage - seemed excessive, even with caching in effect. If Windows/Steam want to use as much memory as possible and actually use my 16 GB to help write data that's fair enough, but the issue I'm having is that it's not releasing the memory again later - other programs will lag and chug, and even if the download completes or Steam is exited, the memory consumption does not decrease - it is not released for use by other threads. Looking at the Task Manager right now, for example, less than a GB of mem usage is accounted for by processes or services, but I'm at 98%. On the performance tab, I have the following:

In use: 15.6 GB / Available, 290 MB / Committed 17.6/24.5 GB / Cached 194 MB / Paged Pool 231 MB / Non-paged Pool 14.3 GB

I have virtual memory on all three internal hard drives, set so that Windows can manage it. Looking at the resource monitor it shows the memory as:

Hardware Reserved 139 MB / In Use 15973 MB / Modified 13 MB / Standby 200 MB / Free 63 MB

Rebooting obviously clears the memory, and processes that consume it will release it as normal, making the memory available again. However, there seems to be a hole when it comes to these downloads, and I'm not sure if it's a Steam issue, a Windows issue, or some combination. I do know, however, that having downloads like this consume resources to the point that I'm at risk of hanging the system is not normal behavior, and I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the issue, knew of a workaround, that sort of thing.

Regards,
    Ari

EDIT: Upon further experimentation it appears any significant amount of disk writing will do it - even large file transfers between drives will cause the memory to slowly increase. This leads me to believe Steam is not the culprit, but rather how Win10 currently handles memory in regards to disk writing. Again, my issue isn't that it does this, but rather that it's not releasing when complete and this can and will cause system slow-downs and hangups if it caps out. Thanks for reading and any advice you can offer!

:)

Arioth, Aug 1, 2015
  2. Surf_SD Win User

Memory consumption and release

I am using Windows Explorer to copy picture files (JPG and RAW) from my camera's memory cards to my hard disk. I have never had problems before but my computer (Windows 10) starts having performance problems and then freezes. Keyboard and mouse are unresponsive
    and I have to do a hardware reset. I have started running Task Manager to watch for resource issues and noticed it is not CPU or disk bound but memory (24GB of real memory) slowly gets consumed and I guessing it runs out and hangs the system. The only thing
    running is system processes and the WE which seems to not be releasing memory as it completes copying. Any ideas?

Surf_SD, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Memory consumption and release

Hi,

This issue may have been caused by a memory leak. It usually occurs when a process allocates memory from the paged or nonpaged pools, but it fails to release the memory when no longer needed. It affects the performance of applications and operating system.
    We'd like to know if you've made any changes on your computer prior to the issue. Meanwhile, to help improve your computer's performance, you can check the tips listed on this
    link.

Get back to us with the result.

Lov Dollente, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

Memory consumption with disk write, not released for other programs

1. Memory consumption with disk write, not released for other programs - Similar Threads - Memory consumption disk

2. MEMORY CORRUPTION, ATTEMPTED WRITE TO READONLY MEMORY

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MEMORY CORRUPTION, ATTEMPTED WRITE TO READONLY MEMORY: Hello, I'm having issues with some BSOD's.Some background:I rebuilt my setup and went to AM5, new ram and all, computer works fine for a few days then boom, memory BSOD errors left and right.I reinstall windows, temporarily fixes it, now its back.Random drivers trigger it,...
  3. System Restore Excessive memory consumption

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Restore Excessive memory consumption: I have a Dell laptop with 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD. Recently, I have found out that my C drive is getting filled without actually storing any files/programs on it. I went to storage sense and found that the system restore is consuming nearly half of my memory. Can I reduce the...
  4. "This disk is write-protected"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "This disk is write-protected": I have pictures in my disk drive C and moved one onto my local disk D. The action was interrupted and a pop-up window appeared that the Disk is "write-protected". What does it mean? Should I remove it?...
  5. Releasing Standby memory

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Releasing Standby memory: Windows 10 Pro, 32GB memory, 970 GTX GPU. Ordinary boring, but previously very capable desktop. I'm running a couple Adobe tools. Needless to say, they are total pigs. And it appears they've gotten WORSE in the current version. When the Adobe products are up and running,...
  6. High memory consumption

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High memory consumption: Hello! My computer is consuming a lot of memory, I have an i7 processor with 16gb ram and 256 ssd. Is it normal for chrome to consume that much?[ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-memory-consumption/d9f28f33-cc1a-4d12-a5a2-95ff7b287598
  7. standby memory not releasing

standby memory not releasing: Windows 10 ver 1903 standby memory not releasing, have to use Rammap all the time. All drivers are up to date, no malware or virus, any thoughts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/standby-memory-not-releasing/e5341242-acc1-4a88-927d-bf7842fd3a54
  8. Windows not releasing programs from memory

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows not releasing programs from memory: Whenever I run Windows utilities such as DISM, SFC, or install/uninstall a program within Windows 10 (1903), if I check my memory usage you can see that it of course goes up, but after the operation has completed and I've exited out of it, my memory usage is still up and I...
  9. Windows not releasing programs from memory.

Windows not releasing programs from memory.: Whenever I run utilities such as DISM, SFC, or install/uninstall a program within Windows 10 (1903), if I check my memory usage you can see that it of course goes up, but after the operation has completed and I've exited out of it, my memory usage is still up and I must...
  10. Excessive writing to disk

Excessive writing to disk: When W10 wakes up from sleep it writes to the disk for 3 to 5 min, what's wrong? Also at start up it writes for 5+ min before I can log in. Can anything be done?...