Windows 10: Memory leak (usage gradually increases)

Discus and support Memory leak (usage gradually increases) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, I have noticed something. The memory usage gradually increases over time (starts off just under 30%, takes only a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by allam447635, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Memory leak (usage gradually increases)

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, I have noticed something. The memory usage gradually increases over time (starts off just under 30%, takes only a few days to climb to 50%, depending on how many programs I use) and I inevitably have to reboot, after which the whole cycle starts over again. All I know is that something in the background is gradually eating away at the memory and I have been unable to track down what it is. I looked in the Resource Manager once and found that the processes using the largest amounts of memory were OSDSrv.exe, the webcam which I don't know how to turn off, MsMpEng.exe (the Windows Defender process), and SearchUI.exe which is just Cortana sitting idle in the background. Can anyone help me? Also the non-paged pool of memory is larger than the paged pool of memory but they are within 100MB of each other.

:)

allam447635, Aug 14, 2017

2. Service Host: local system memory leak, stopping user manager service resets it but it returns slowly

Windows 10. The memory leak continuously increases the RAM usage, ive seen 4gb so far. I stopped all the contained services one by one and the User Manager one reset the memory usage to 7mb but it gradually increases again once it restarts. Anyone know
    of a fix for this?

nutty-apprentice, Aug 14, 2017
  3. BAMichael Win User
    Windows 10 dwm.exe memory leak causing out-of-memory error

Process called dwm.exe (Desktop Windows Manager) is leaking memory badly over time and eventually causing out-of-memory errors on routine activities such as browsing the web. Its memory usage is less than 100MB of "commit" memory after reboot but this gradually
    increases to over 10GB and cause havoc to my system with 12GB memory after a day or so of my typical non-heavy computer usage.

My setup is W10 Pro x64, updated with the latest patch. Haven't noticed this in the past, just started to happen this week.

BAMichael, Aug 14, 2017
  4. Memory leak (usage gradually increases)

When I said the memory usage I meant to say the memory usage without anything open.

allam447635, Aug 15, 2017
  5. Spectrum Win User
    I would check in Task Manager -> Startup tab, and disable all unnecessary applications. See if the Webcam software is in that list.

Regarding Paged and Non-Paged pool sizes, how large are they? If you do have a pool leak you'll want to use PoolMonX, and sort by KBytes from highest to lowest. Monitor it over the course of several hours or day (feel free to post screenshots) and see if any "Tag" (left most column) is taking up an ever increasing amount of KBytes.

Spectrum, Aug 15, 2017
  6. Don't forget if you're using Windows Metro Apps a lot, disable their background tasks on settings to prevent apps from caching to memory when they're not being used.

theveterans, Aug 15, 2017
  7. The apps I use often are Chrome, MS Paint, MS Word, Minecraft, MCEdit (the world editor for Minecraft), and my recording software. Also I do not find anything in task manager when the memory usage without anything open is high and the things using the most memory are usually the Antimalware Service Executable and Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted). Also I would disable the webcam but only problem is I do minecraft youtube videos and I think that would turn the mic off.

8. pbcopter Win User

Memory leak (usage gradually increases)

How much memory do you have? Windows will use RAM to anticipate programs that you use often to speed up the program's startup. This is normal.

How high does the RAM use go?

Also, it is better if you include the details of your system under the system specs. This makes it easier for people to assist you.

pbcopter, Aug 15, 2017
  9. I have 6 gigabytes of RAM. I usually reboot when the usage with nothing open is around 50% but I am just doing what I inevitably have to do because one time it climbed all the way up to 67% and in fact I think it would just keep climbing.

10. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey allam447635,
    That OSDSrv appears to be for a dell wireless keyboard caps lock indicator. Check for it Task Manager > Startup for IndicatorOSD and disable it. Also check Windows Services for 'ChiconyOSDService' (OSDSvc) and set the Startup Type to Manual.

For your web cam check Windows Services for web cam name/software and set Startup Type to Manual. It might also be in Task Scheduler with multiple triggers defined and one of them is probably run at user login, so you could disable it.

Eagle51, Aug 15, 2017
  11. I do not see OSD Service Application in the startup menu. Also I am sure that that is not what is causing the gradual increase in the RAM usage.

12. LMiller7 Win User
    Post a screenshot of Task Manager - Performance tab showing memory info when the problem occurs. Otherwise this is all just guesswork.

LMiller7, Aug 15, 2017
  13. Memory leak (usage gradually increases)

Here's a screenshot of Task Manager (right now the usage with nothing open is around 43%)

allam447635, Aug 17, 2017
  14. I did not upload the screenshot the first time. Here it is
    Memory leak (usage gradually increases) [​IMG]

allam447635, Aug 17, 2017
  15. Looks normal to me for a 6 GB RAM size. Mine is already 3.3 GB out of 8 GB for 5 programs running:

Memory leak (usage gradually increases) [​IMG]

theveterans, Aug 17, 2017
Thema:

Memory leak (usage gradually increases)

1. Memory leak (usage gradually increases) - Similar Threads - Memory leak usage

2. Memory Leak/Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Memory Leak/Usage: HiJust by looking at the task manager I can see there is a high memory usage but I can't identify what program is consuming the memory. Is there another application that can help to identify what program is using excess ram? After restarting my memory usage goes back to...
  3. Memory Leak/Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Memory Leak/Usage: HiJust by looking at the task manager I can see there is a high memory usage but I can't identify what program is consuming the memory. Is there another application that can help to identify what program is using excess ram? After restarting my memory usage goes back to...
  4. Increase memory usage in Win-11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Increase memory usage in Win-11?: Hi, I have a NEW install of Win-11-ProI have a computer with 8-core Xeon CPU an 64gb RAM, 2tb SSDI want to get the most out of my computer I see that Win-11 is only using 8gb of RAMIs there any way to increase the amount of RAM Win-11 uses so that I can get Faster performance...
  5. Increase memory usage in Win-11?

Increase memory usage in Win-11?: Hi, I have a NEW install of Win-11-ProI have a computer with 8-core Xeon CPU an 64gb RAM, 2tb SSDI want to get the most out of my computer I see that Win-11 is only using 8gb of RAMIs there any way to increase the amount of RAM Win-11 uses so that I can get Faster performance...
  6. System memory usage gradually increase until 100%.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System memory usage gradually increase until 100%.: Hi,I am facing a strange problem. After the system is restarted the memory usage is 10-15%.After sometimes the usage gradually goes up to near 100%...I am using windows 10.The windows machine is running under proxmox virtual machine.I give it 24 gb memory. I cannot find any...
  7. System memory usage gradually increase until 100%.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System memory usage gradually increase until 100%.: Hi,I am facing a strange problem. After the system is restarted the memory usage is 10-15%.After sometimes the usage gradually goes up to near 100%...I am using windows 10.The windows machine is running under proxmox virtual machine.I give it 24 gb memory. I cannot find any...
  8. System memory usage gradually increase until 100%.

9. Memory Leak, 100% Usage!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Memory Leak, 100% Usage!: Hi, this is my first time posting on this forum or any forum to be exact however I could not find a working solution to my current problem that I have had for a couple of days now, see what's happening is that I have an incredibly large RAM usage for no known reason nonp -...
  10. High CPU usage & Memory leak

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High CPU usage & Memory leak: Hello, I've a leak memory and high CPU from lanmanServer and System ntoskrnl.exe. The system ntoskrnl.exe is on 19%-20% CPU usage all the time and the Lanmanserver is starting from 40MB RAM and will continue until the Memory usage will be full and eventually the machine...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. svchost gradually increases in memory usage

2. gradually increasing memory usage windows 10

3. memory usage gradually increases