Windows 10: Merge 3 partitions on exVista recovered Hard Disk - for storage only

Discus and support Merge 3 partitions on exVista recovered Hard Disk - for storage only in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently recovered the "Samsung" Hard Disk (HD) from my old Vista Laptop [RIP*Sad ], and want to use it as a general "Temporary Admin/Work Folder",... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sassofalco, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Merge 3 partitions on exVista recovered Hard Disk - for storage only

I recently recovered the "Samsung" Hard Disk (HD) from my old Vista Laptop [RIP*Sad ], and want to use it as a general "Temporary Admin/Work Folder", that is, NOT for archival purposes.

The HD is currently sitting in a "Winstars Communicator D3" USB 3.0 HD Docking Station, after having just completed a series of Formats to "clean" all files from the 3 partitions on the HD (and yes, I did recover the files I wanted to keep first).

This is how the three Alpha assigned partitions appear now (* note that the Recovery Partition/Volume also seems to be available for this merger exercise - see below)

Merge 3 partitions on exVista recovered Hard Disk - for storage only [​IMG]

I want to merge all three HD Partions - (J: ) (K: ) and (L: ) into a single partition, with one main "Temporary Work" Folder, and with its own assigned Drive letter.

Advice please - how to achieve a merger of the 3 partitions?*

I'm curious to know if there are any valid reasons why I cannot/should not include the Recovery Partition volume (about 20GB) in the merge, to finish up with a *merger of all 4 partitions?

Cheers,
    Tony (yes, I am still in the land of the living - soon to be in Somerset too, I hope *chuckle )

:)

sassofalco, Sep 4, 2017
  2. SpiritX MS MVP, Sep 4, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Disk Management

Hello

I have a problem with Windows 10 disk management.

My 1Tb hybrid hard drive is getting full and I noticed that there is a 20Gb Healthy (Recovery Partition).

After checking some websites I assumed that this had been provided by the OEM (Asus).

I converted it to Unallocated Space and attempted to merge with Healthy (Primary Partition).

The Unallocated Space “disappeared” but there was no increase in size of any other partitions.

How can I recover this Unallocated Space?

Regards

Brian Gledhill

BrianGledhill, Sep 4, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Merge 3 partitions on exVista recovered Hard Disk - for storage only

As there's nothing you want to keep, wouldn't it be simpler to just delete all the partitions and create what you want as a new partition?

Bree, Sep 4, 2017
  5. Mate...*Rolleyes

I was completely unaware of such a simple solution.

Is this something I achieve through Disk Management?

Sand shoes ..

sassofalco, Sep 4, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    In theory, yes. 'Delete volume' is one of the options if you right-click on a partition. Disk Management may not allow you to delete the Recovery partition though. If that's the case, you can use Diskpart from the command line in a Command Prompt (Admin) to remove all partition information from the disk.

Be very careful to select the right disk number before cleaning it! Use the LIST command first to find out the correct number to use. Once cleaned you'll have a blank disk and can create whatever partition(s) you require in Disk Management. In this example my Disk 2 is a 16GB USB drive.

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063] (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISKPART Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.15063.0 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. On computer: TOSHIBA DISKPART> LIST DISK Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B Disk 1 Online 931 GB 0 B Disk 2 Online 14 GB 0 B DISKPART> SELECT DISK 2 Disk 2 is now the selected disk. DISKPART> CLEAN DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk. DISKPART> EXIT Leaving DiskPart... C:\WINDOWS\system32>[/quote]

Bree, Sep 4, 2017
  7. Thanks Bree for your clear, concise and easy to follow advice and instructions.

All sorted without too much difficulty, and "post-operative" testing has confirmed that my old Vista HD will once more serve a useful purpose, rather that sit around looking like a spare paperweight in a paperless office.

I followed your instructions to a tee ....

... and have the following "new" HD

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Cheers, Tony

sassofalco, Sep 6, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

*Thumbs

Glad to have helped.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Merge 3 partitions on exVista recovered Hard Disk - for storage only - Similar Threads - Merge partitions exVista

2. Hard Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Disk Partition: is this fine if i part and keep hard disk in this way? or, do i need to merge the two parts of F? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-partition/d3178c7a-6b68-4ed7-ba97-2e3ff2d5d69b
  3. Hard Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Disk Partition: is this fine if i part and keep hard disk in this way? or, do i need to merge the two parts of F? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-partition/d3178c7a-6b68-4ed7-ba97-2e3ff2d5d69b
  4. Recover deleted disk partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover deleted disk partitions: On January 28, with the assistance of MS team member I installed windows 10 using bootable USB on my home computer.The windows were not updating the disk partitions therefore, the advisor instructed me to deleted all partitions, which I did on his advice. Windows installed...
  5. Recover deleted disk partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover deleted disk partitions: On January 28, with the assistance of MS team member I installed windows 10 using bootable USB on my home computer.The windows were not updating the disk partitions therefore, the advisor instructed me to deleted all partitions, which I did on his advice. Windows installed...
  6. Recover deleted disk partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Recovering hard disk drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovering hard disk drives: I recently performed the media-creation process for Windows 10 on my hard disk drive by accidentI had a USB plugged in at the same time and I messed up the names. There's over 900+ gigabytes of files and folders in there that's extremely important to me. I have tried the...
  8. merging disk partitions C and D

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    merging disk partitions C and D: I have my hard drive partitioned into C and D. C is full and I want to merge them. Disk 0 has OS C:. There is something stuck in between Disk 0, 520MB Healthy recovery, passive, then Disk 1 Basic Unallocated. I cannot figure out how to get that recovery, passive bit out of...
  9. Hard Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Disk Partition: I had made a partition before reinstalling windows 10 Pro. After installation I wanted to partition my C Drive Windows which I did, but I got 500 gb space without losing any space in C drive, how did that happen....
  10. hard disk partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard disk partition: please someone tell me solution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-partition/908a861d-47ff-4723-aa69-f40e64023410"