Windows 10: Merge Message Storage Folders in Windows Live Mail (or not).

Discus and support Merge Message Storage Folders in Windows Live Mail (or not). in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi all, I've messed up, and I hope that someone can help me out. I've set up Windows Live Mail on a new system (Windows 10), then downloaded... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by wylbur, Feb 15, 2017.

1. wylbur Win User

Merge Message Storage Folders in Windows Live Mail (or not).

Hi all,

I've messed up, and I hope that someone can help me out.

I've set up Windows Live Mail on a new system (Windows 10),
    then downloaded a lot of messages from the server to the
    default folder that WLM sets up on installation.

I know how to change that default folder:

File > Options > Mail ...
    Advanced > Maintenance ...

Store Folders

C:\Users\Sys_2016\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

My problem is that I did not do that before letting WLM
    go online and download messages, and I have all of the old
    messages from the system that I was previously using as
    my email client copied to a folder on my new system.

What I want to do is to merge everything from the default folder
    that WLM has downloaded my most-recent messages into with
    everything from the folder that I've copied over from the old system.

But I may not have to, if WLM behaves as I hope that it might.

If I just change the download folder (using the steps above)
    to the folder path on the logical drive that has all of my
    old messages, would WLM then redownload all of the messages
    that it has downloaded in the meantime?

(All of the messages are still on the server.)

That seems too simple, and I'm concerned that I'm going to
    mess myself up more than I already have.

Thanks!

:)

wylbur, Feb 15, 2017
  2. John582n Win User

Live Mail in Windows 10

You could try this.

*Warning, you will lose all the emails stored locally unless they are in Windows Live Mail "Storage folders"*

• Open Windows Live Mail
    • Right click on you account name and Remove account
    • Restart Windows Live Mail
    • Set the account up again and see if it works

If that still doesn't work, try this:

*Warning, you will lose all the emails stored locally including those in Windows Live Mail "Storage folders"*

• Close Windows Live Mail
    • Open File Explorer, Go View > Options > in Folder Options window click View and Select "Show hidden files, folders & drives
    • Navigate to c:\Users\<your user name>\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
    • Copy the Windows Live Mail folder somewhere else in case you want to revert. Also, if you have mail stored in Windows Live Mail "Storage folders" you can reinstate that folder later
    • Delete the Windows Live Mail folder
    • Start Windows Live Mail and set up your account

John582n, Feb 15, 2017
  3. DonKnobbs Win User
    Transferring Win Live messages and folders saved on my computer to Win 10 mail

I have 64 folders and several thousand email messages archived in 'Storage Folders' in Windows Live Mail. Is there a way to transfer those folders intact to Win 10 Mail so I can view them and add to them as necessary? I'm being told Windows Live Mail
    will 'die' in July. This saving feature is a very useful and doesn't appear to be a capability of Win 10 Mail.

DonKnobbs, Feb 15, 2017
  4. Merge Message Storage Folders in Windows Live Mail (or not).

Welcome to the TenForums @wylbur

First off so you are aware, Windows Live Mail is no longer supported and depending on your mail server and their plans to drop access you could find yourself in a messy situation. I've already had to move several of the people I support here in Canada.

Now because it is not supported doesn't mean it won't work but it could get pretty glitchy.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ows-essentials

If you have Office 365 you could move to Outlook 2016 or you might want to try Mozilla Thunderbird. Thunderbird may not be the prettiest client it does work.

I believe to get your mail to redownload you are going to need a new "Profile" in WLM. If you are setting the account up as IMAP then your online account is the book of record and what gets download should be what is on mail servers. Now you say you have your old mail file so I assume these are personal folders that are not on your Web Mail Server so not sure how these would be merge.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 15, 2017
Thema:

Merge Message Storage Folders in Windows Live Mail (or not).

1. Merge Message Storage Folders in Windows Live Mail (or not). - Similar Threads - Merge Message Storage

2. Merging contacts from Live Mail to Windows Mail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Merging contacts from Live Mail to Windows Mail: OK. I have finally managed to move my contact list onto the new PC. They all appear in the People tab in Windows mail. Here's my problem - hundreds of them appear as " unnamed contact". When I click on them, it does show the name and email address, but only in the "notes"...
  3. moving windows live mail messages to windows 10 mail

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    moving windows live mail messages to windows 10 mail: I had a motherboard die on my Windows 7 machine but luckily the hard drive survived. So I can't open windows live mail and export. I have the complete windows 7 live mail eml files on the hard drive that I've saved for later use and need them on my windows 10 machine in...
  4. folders disappeared in windows live mail

folders disappeared in windows live mail: After having a windows10 update I have lost many af my folders from windows live mail https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folders-disappeared-in-windows-live-mail/8cdfdec0-2ea0-461c-b425-93df123f5991
  5. Windows Mail storage folder

Windows Mail storage folder: An older version of Windows Mail allowed me to create a storage folder and subfolders so that I could save copies of email on my computer. I can't seem to find that option for my new computer with the latest version of Mail. Can someone point me in the right direction? I...
  6. How to transfer my storage folders from Windows Live Mail to Mail 10

How to transfer my storage folders from Windows Live Mail to Mail 10: My Windows Live Mail WLM refuses to send my emails, have been using this for a good while now and have heaps of storage folders that I would like to transfer to Mail 10 as I've started using this app now. I've made a copy of WLM; it's sitting on my desktop. I just can't...
  7. Error message in Windows Live Mail

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error message in Windows Live Mail: Since the August 2019 crash of Telus email, every time I open Window live mail ( I know it's unsupported and old but has, until now worked perfectly) I have been receiving the following error message in Window Live Mail: unable to send or receive messages for the Telus ( )...
  8. SPAMfighter folder in windows live mail

SPAMfighter folder in windows live mail: Hi, I saw a new folder marked SPAMfighter in WLM and having very recently tried it and then uninstalled it and installed MailWasher instead, I thought the new SPAMfighter folder must be a remnant and tried to delete it but it wouldn't allow me to. I then went to my...
  9. Importing Windows Live Storage folders into Win 10 Mail

in Browsers and Email
    Importing Windows Live Storage folders into Win 10 Mail: How do I import long-term storage files (with lots of really, really important emails I wish to save) from Windows Live 2012 to the new Windows 10 email program? Can't find any how-to help anywhere so far. Thanks! 32418
  10. Windows Live Mail error message

in Browsers and Email
    Windows Live Mail error message: Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum so please be gentle with me! I am reasonably computer literate (started when Win 3.1 was the current OS) but new to Win 10 which I have just acquired pre installed on a new PC. I use WLM and got it running well on two separate accounts on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. merge multple storage folders windows live mail