Windows 10: Merging .reg files as standard user

Discus and support Merging .reg files as standard user in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I want to add run as admin to the context menu to be able to merge a couple of .reg files into the registry when i right click on them, i downloaded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jeepers, Sep 3, 2017.

1. jeepers Win User

Merging .reg files as standard user

I want to add run as admin to the context menu to be able to merge a couple of .reg files into the registry when i right click on them, i downloaded Brinks 2 reg files to do this but they require admin privleges *Mad and run as admin does not show up in the context menu when i click on them. Its there when i click on .exe programs.
    Thanks

:)

jeepers, Sep 3, 2017

2. File Explorer This PC view (Adding folders or shortcuts too)

I've uploaded the sample REG files (with "undo" reg files) here:

http://www.winhelponline.com/add-to-folderpane.zip

Just edit the two REG files using Notepad, and change the Target folder. I set it to "c:\users\ramesh\music\classic" and "c:\users\ramesh\music\contemporary". Then double-click each REG file to merge it. To reverse the changes, run the corresponding Undo
    reg file.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 3, 2017
  3. mixed up system folders

Hi,

Try the REG fix here.

Fix Shell Folders Like Music and Videos Merged and Pointing to Same Folder :
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/shell-folders-merged-music-videos-same-folder/

Logoff and login back.

If that doesn't help, export this registry key and post the info here.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

To export the key, press WinKey + R, and type Regedit.exe and press ENTER

Go to this branch:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

From the File menu, click Export and save the branch to a REG file.

Open the REG file using Notepad, and post the contents here.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 3, 2017
  4. Slippery Win User

I can't do that in my standard user acct either and I have that added to my right click context menu. So, I sign out and login as administrator and do the merge and then sign out and back in as standard user again. A little paranoia is healthy.
    I think it may be an unwritten feature of windows 10 Pro security.

Slippery, Sep 3, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Run as administrator does appear for Regedit itself, and Regedit has 'Import...' on its File menu. As a standard user, type regedit in the Cortana/Search box on the taskbar, right-click on the 'regedit - Run command' best match and you can 'Run as administrator' from there. Then you can import the .reg files.

Bree, Sep 3, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    "Run as Administrator" only applies to executable files that you can run. A .reg file is just a plain text file that can't be executed by itself, so "Run as Administrator" will never appear for it.

NavyLCDR, Sep 3, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Hardly unwritten! Whole point of standard accounts is to prevent standard users doing such things!

cereberus, Sep 3, 2017
  8. jeepers Win User

Many Thanks worked like a charm

jeepers, Sep 4, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    *Thumbs

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Merging .reg files as standard user - Similar Threads - Merging reg files

2. Admin User duplicating files from Standard User

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Admin User duplicating files from Standard User: Hi all, I recently logged in into the Admin User on my PC and while cleaning some stuff up I noticed that C:\Users\admin\Documents had certain folders corresponding to my Standard User account. I checked these folders inside and they have the same files! For example, the...
  3. Desktop And Document User Files Merged

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop And Document User Files Merged: [ATTACH] I don't know if this subreddit is used for Windows 10 support but I am new to Windows and I accidentally merged my Desktop and Documents folders. I have looked online for hours and I tried fixing it through regedit and I still can't figure it out. Please help me,...
  4. Merge user files with current administrator user/account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Merge user files with current administrator user/account: I bought a new laptop. I transferred all users, applications and files from the old one, but I need to merge the admin user on the new one with one of the admin users transferred from the old one....
  5. secure file from standard user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    secure file from standard user: We have a windows application which is written by electron and SQLite as database, the problem is we want our database file to be secure from deleting or modifying by user , and only application itself can modify that , what are the options here ? is it possible to give admin...
  6. standard user

standard user: see attachments. when i view my account settings i see that i'm an administrator, but when use control panel/user accounts/change your account type, it seems to think i am already a standard user. the way UAC acts, it seems to think i am an administrator. which is...
  7. Merge User accounts

Merge User accounts: Hi, I see only 1 userapart from default user on my laptop in system properties/user profiles. However under C/Users I see another userapart from default and public. The 2nd user is my user name from my prior laptop. I would like to merge the 2nd prior laptop user into the...
  8. Change Regedit "*.reg" default from Merge to Edit

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Regedit "*.reg" default from Merge to Edit: After upgrading to Win10, the default action for *.reg moved to "Merge" (in Win8 I had set it to "Edit", but don't recall how). What's the trick? If I associate *.reg with Notepad, I totally lose the "merge" capability in the context menu, so that's not the answer... I want...
  9. "Merge" missing from .reg context menu

in Windows 10 Support
    "Merge" missing from .reg context menu: "Merge" is missing on my ,reg context menu. The only supposed solution I could find here was for Win 7, but it didnt work. 61626
  10. Why merging reg files works efficiently only from desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why merging reg files works efficiently only from desktop?: I have reg file, which alter some restricted keys and it works only from desktop. Like: [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] I do not understand this, I am an admin, it does not work, whenever UAC is On or OFF. I get a successful confirmation...