Windows 10: Message "Recovery - This computer needs to be repaired

Discus and support Message "Recovery - This computer needs to be repaired in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Almost every time I try to boot my computer I get this blue screen with the message "Recovery - Your computer needs to be repaired - A required device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by rik brown, May 14, 2016.

1. rik brown Win User

Message "Recovery - This computer needs to be repaired

Almost every time I try to boot my computer I get this blue screen with the message "Recovery - Your computer needs to be repaired - A required device is not connected or can't be accessed" At this time I am given several options F8-doesn't work, F9-does not work. F2 diagnostic tools which are no use except Bios modification. No real help.
    Some times it boots up to the password entry screen. I used to log in with the pin code but that is not available now and my password is not accepted, even thou I know it is correct. There is no way I can boot up windows 10. What can I do? I have a recovery boot flash drive but the computer looks first for a cd/dvd drive then the C drive and I can't get it to boot the recovery disk.

:)

rik brown, May 14, 2016

2. Recovery - Your PC/Device needs to be repaired - Error code 0xc0000098

You're welcome, Peter. Regarding edit this the boot configuration data to resume normal boot functionality, we advised that you check this
    documentation. This discussed the whole editing boot options that you may do or apply to your device. Make
    sure to click each links one-by-one so you may choose which option to do.

Let us know if you need any further assistance, we would be glad to help you.

PreciousLeb, May 14, 2016
  3. Recovery - Your PC/Device needs to be repaired - Error code 0xc0000098

Hi PreciousLeb,

thanks for the reply, I'll give the Answer Desk team a call as soon as I have the time. In the meantime, and because I think the problem is to do with the BCD store, I ran bcdedit to see what it came up with - see the results which I've copied and pasted
    below. Is is possible to edit this the boot configuration data to resume normal boot functionality and if so how can this safely be achieved?

Regards,

Peter.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.125]

(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdedit

Windows Boot Manager

--------------------

identifier {bootmgr}

device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume3

path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

description Windows Boot Manager

locale en-US

inherit {globalsettings}

badmemoryaccess Yes

default {current}

resumeobject {3e5d3411-43ab-11e3-ab5e-db121bb355fd}

displayorder {current}

{11994a63-c37f-11e7-91c7-c2e8734a007d}

toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}

timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader

-------------------

identifier {current}

device partition=C:

path \WINDOWS\system32\winload.efi

description Windows 10

locale en-US

inherit {bootloadersettings}

recoverysequence {6a388ec1-c123-11e7-8217-c7b431a26397}

displaymessageoverride SystemRestore

recoveryenabled Yes

badmemoryaccess Yes

isolatedcontext Yes

allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075

osdevice partition=C:

systemroot \WINDOWS

resumeobject {3e5d3411-43ab-11e3-ab5e-db121bb355fd}

nx OptIn

bootmenupolicy Standard

Windows Boot Loader

-------------------

identifier {11994a63-c37f-11e7-91c7-c2e8734a007d}

device partition=C:

path \Windows.old\WINDOWS\system32\winload.efi

description Windows 10 Pro

locale en-US

osdevice partition=C:

systemroot \Windows.old\WINDOWS

nx OptIn

bootmenupolicy Standard

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

PeterBaker0, May 14, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi rik brown,

To start with:
    Do you have in the boot options or in the BIOS an option to start a diagnostics test? If you do run the tests as extensive as possible.

5. rik brown Win User
    axe0, I can't get to the boot options or bios options. I only can get to system diagnosis and I have tried all of the options. The only one that helps sometimes is the Bios option where I rollback the bios. Sometimes this allows me to boot to the password entry but it won't accept my password. This password always worked before.
    This trouble started after I tried to boot up into the safe mode.

rik brown, May 15, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    Please be more specific with the system diagnosis, what have you tried and what was the result?
    I'm not familiair with the HP BIOS setup so you need to give details.

7. rik brown Win User
    axeo, All of the diagnosis came back normal, no problems found. I am at wits end. I have a windows 8 restore disk that will reload my computer to factory conditions but all added programs will be lost. Then I will have to upgrade to windows 10 and start all over in reloading all new programs, most of which have no disks. I have a backup image on a usb drive and I hope I can restore from it but with my luck, that will be corrupted also. Thanks for your help but i think its hopeless.

rik brown, May 15, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

The situation isn't hopeless, there are a lot more possibilities than the worst case I've dealt with.

You don't have to change the boot order to boot from the flash drive, in the boot options choose to boot from the flash drive instead, saves a lot of time *Smile

You may want to do an upgrade installation from a USB which makes the installation bootable.
    Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

9. badrobot Win User
    badrobot, May 16, 2016
  10. rik brown Win User
    I gave up and booted with the windows 8 recovery disk. Then I upgraded to windows 10. Ran check disk - no errors. Fixed it so no password is required to enter windows 10. Loaded Aomei Backupper which is the program I used to back it up. Then I tried to restore the image file I had made before all this trouble started. The restore starts OK then I get "diagnosing drive" then "trying to repair" and that goes on forever. stopped the computer with the start button held down. When I rebooted it goes back the diagnosis and repair loop. At this point I give up and went back to my old laptop and will use it til it quits again. Thanks for the help axe0.

rik brown, May 17, 2016
  11. axe0 New Member
    The file system of the backup you made is probably the cause in that case.

Thema:

1. Message "Recovery - This computer needs to be repaired - Similar Threads - Message Recovery computer

2. Recovery Pc/Device needs to be repaired

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Recovery Pc/Device needs to be repaired: Recovery Pc/Device needs to be repaired https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-pcdevice-needs-to-be-repaired/38340b29-8334-4360-9c57-9f7c258af95a
  3. Recovery Pc/Device needs to be repaired

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Pc/Device needs to be repaired: Recovery Pc/Device needs to be repaired https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-pcdevice-needs-to-be-repaired/38340b29-8334-4360-9c57-9f7c258af95a
  4. Recovery Pc/Device needs to be repaired

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Recovery Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery Your PC/Device needs to be repaired: I got new laptop and installed Windows 11. After few updates, this message showed File: \BCD, Error code: 0xc0000098. I tried all options they got for me and nothing worked unless i pluged in USB with Windows and wrote following commandes in Command Prompt:bootrec /fixbootren...
  6. RECOVERY YOUR PC NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RECOVERY YOUR PC NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED: Every single time i open my pc after from a shutdown I keep seeing the blue screen your pc needs to be repaired but it doesnt show any file on top of it it just gives the error 0xc000000e so clicked esc to get to boot menu and then it got me to home page then the next morning...
  7. Recovery: Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery: Your PC/Device needs to be repaired: I was trying to update and restart my laptop, but in the middle of the update, this screen came up: [IMG] After pressing enter, this came up: [IMG] I used BitLocker password to access Startup Settings, but none of the options worked, and I would endup back at the second...
  8. Recovery: Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery: Your PC/Device needs to be repaired: Imgur: The magic of the Internet I googled it and tried some solutions but none of them worked. This is a friend's laptop. Not sure what they did to make this happen but we wanted to sell it and split the profits so I would prefer if it were in working order. Thanks. 136492
  9. Recovery. Your pc/device needs to be repaired

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Recovery. Your pc/device needs to be repaired: File: \windows \system32\winload.exe Error code: 0xc000000f You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media contact your pc administrator. I have this on blue screen, tried to restart and press all f buttons and nothing happen. Have an...
  10. Recovery, your PC needs to be repaired

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery, your PC needs to be repaired: I received this message on my PC and it says the Boot Configuration Data on the PC is missing or contains errors. File: \boot\BCD, error code: 0xc000014c. It goes on to say I will need to use recovery tools and if I don't have any installation media to contact the...