Windows 10: messed up permissions windows 10

Discus and support messed up permissions windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, Dave here. I have done something that I have done before, with windows 7 on down. I had a laptop that had a broken power port, and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GMTECH, Dec 5, 2017.

1. GMTECH Win User

messed up permissions windows 10

Hello all, Dave here. I have done something that I have done before, with windows 7 on down. I had a laptop that had a broken power port, and the battery went dead. I ordered a new power socket. While I was waiting for parts, the owner wanted files off of it. I removed hard drive, hooked it up to my pc, which is windows 10 also. To access the files I had to take ownership of the drive. this seems to be a big issue with windows 10, that I could easily fix up afterwards with win 7 pro, xp ect. I tried searching threads, but didn't find one.
    The laptop is pretty messed up now. slow, over 15 mins. to get to desktop, some programs won't open at all. access denied messages intermittently. I also found no restore points, so that option is not possible. I attempted to take ownership of C: where the operating system is installed, with TakeOwnershipEx . Confusing software, that did not produce any noticeable changes.
    I wanted to do a factory reset, but some software has lost installation media. The one program that is stopping me is, what looks like a retail version of QuickBooks. It's over 1000.00$ to replace.
    Is there any way out of this situation? I have a bootable usb with recent windows 10 on it from Microsoft website. Pulling what's left of my hair out. Thank you in advance for any advice, Dave

:)

GMTECH, Dec 5, 2017
  2. dlorde Win User

taskbar autohide is not working in windows 10

Ha! Looks like One Drive is the major ****-up in Windows 10 - not only does it mess up user permissions on folders, but it messes up the toolbar too...

dlorde, Dec 5, 2017
  3. Alden Rey Win User
    User permissions are messed up

Thank you for your response. If the issue still persists and Controlled Folder Access is off and greyed out, we suggest you perform a

clean boot
    . It starts by using a pre-selected minimal set of drivers and startup programs, and because the computer start with a minimal set of drivers, some programs may not work as you expected.

If you require any further information, feel free to let us know.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Dec 5, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. We need to know what ownership you tried to do doing it on c could kill it as a lot of folders need to be owned by system. You may be able to do a system refresh keeping files and apps it may not work sepending what you have done

Samuria, Dec 5, 2017
Thema:

1. messed up permissions windows 10 - Similar Threads - messed permissions

2. A software has messed up Ownership/Permissions of a lot of folders and files on my Laptop.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A software has messed up Ownership/Permissions of a lot of folders and files on my Laptop.: Hello, i have installed a software on my D: HDD, and then uninstalled it again.I have then noticed that i could not access a lot of folders and files on both D: HDD and C: SSD drives, when trying to open a certain folder for example, it displays the error messages seen in the...
  3. A software has messed up Ownership/Permissions of a lot of folders and files on my Laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A software has messed up Ownership/Permissions of a lot of folders and files on my Laptop.: Hello, i have installed a software on my D: HDD, and then uninstalled it again.I have then noticed that i could not access a lot of folders and files on both D: HDD and C: SSD drives, when trying to open a certain folder for example, it displays the error messages seen in the...
  4. A software has messed up Ownership/Permissions of a lot of folders and files on my Laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. permissions on Windows 10 all messed up reading external hard drive from Windows 7 computer

permissions on Windows 10 all messed up reading external hard drive from Windows 7 computer: I have a 1T hard drive that was in a Windows 7 PC tower. There is about 750 GB of data on the drive. The PC was giving me a lot of trouble over a year of SMART warnings of imminent disk failure; video crashing into a dark screen or changing to various weird color schemes...
  6. permissions on Windows 10 all messed up reading external hard drive from Windows 7 computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    permissions on Windows 10 all messed up reading external hard drive from Windows 7 computer: I have a 1T hard drive that was in a Windows 7 PC tower. There is about 750 GB of data on the drive. The PC was giving me a lot of trouble over a year of SMART warnings of imminent disk failure; video crashing into a dark screen or changing to various weird color schemes...
  7. permissions on Windows 10 all messed up reading external hard drive from Windows 7 computer

8. I Think I messed up Windows permissions.. :/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Think I messed up Windows permissions.. :/: So I've been having applications acting strangely, where I would have to launch steam as admin to play certain multiplayer games etc.. Now I'm trying to make a game in Unreal Engine 4.27 and it won't let me export it!! I was messing with the settings on some permissions...
  9. I Think I messed up Windows permissions.. :/

I Think I messed up Windows permissions.. :/: So I've been having applications acting strangely, where I would have to launch steam as admin to play certain multiplayer games etc.. Now I'm trying to make a game in Unreal Engine 4.27 and it won't let me export it!! I was messing with the settings on some permissions...
  10. File permissions totally messed up

File permissions totally messed up: I was transferring data from my ssd to another computer, so I plugged in my ssd to another computer using an external drive. When I tried to access the ssd, it gave me "you don't currently have permission to access this folder" so I clicked continue to get permanent access....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. permissions messed up windows 10

2. Windfows 10 ACL permissions messed up