Windows 10: Metro games crash immediately with DCOM timeout error - with AzureAD

Discus and support Metro games crash immediately with DCOM timeout error - with AzureAD in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; hi, i've read dozens of threads here and elsewhere where windows 10 users have lost their start menu, lost their store app, lost the ability to open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by timmer3, May 17, 2016.

1. timmer3 Win User

Metro games crash immediately with DCOM timeout error - with AzureAD

hi,
    i've read dozens of threads here and elsewhere where windows 10 users have lost their start menu, lost their store app, lost the ability to open all store apps, or lost cortana. these all seem to stem from the 1511 update. i am familiar with all the troubleshooting steps listed on these threads, and they have all been unsuccessful for me. changing registry permissions, NTFS permissions on WindowsApps etc for the All Application Packages user, system restore etc.

i have 5 machines all with clean windows 10 installs. these are Windows 10 Pro "N" installs on various hardware. 4 of the machines are joined to AzureAD and my win 10 tablet is not joined to any domain or AzureAD. the tablet is the only one that can play xbox games. since the 1511 update, the other 4 have lost the ability to open games, they crash immediately with DCOM error 10010 The server App did not register with DCOM within the required timeout. and a corresponding "Apps" application log entry: "Activation of application Microsoft.HaloSpartanAssault2_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App failed with error: The app didn't start. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information." i am certain that a re-install will result in the same problems because i have replicated identical behaviour on 4 independent machines. the definition of stupidity now would be to reinstall the OS and expect it to be any different!

i can confirm that the start menu store works fine, i receive app updates and can use one-note, calculator, solitaire and every other metro app i can think of. however any xbox games will not open, example Age of Empires Castle Siege, and Halo Spartan assault. Cortana is not available in Ireland so it is disabled by windows.

does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? i've tried logging in as a local administrator user and the problems are the same. AzureAD jumps out as the most likely culprit, perhaps with some security policy that has been applied to the 4 problematic machines, but i have been unable to identify the cause. i searched around in the AzureAD control panel and could find no relevant settings. thanks for any help!

:)

timmer3, May 17, 2016

2. Start, search and task bar not working.

In System Windows Log are errors such as:

The server App did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The server Windows.Security.Authentication.Web.Core.BackgroundGetTokenTask.ClassId.WebAccountProvider did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The server CortanaUI.AppXn73w0hsq3g4wx1h9fhf7q02vw2wta6qc.mca did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

shane_aspirence, May 17, 2016
  3. CrisiLB Win User
    Forza Horizon 3 won't launch

I play the game since Christmas. Today I played for 3-4 hours. Two hours ago I closed the game and now I tried to launch it again, but after the start, the game immediately crashes. The following error is displayed:

Unable to start a DCOM Server: Microsoft.OpusPG_1.0.101.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe!OpusReleaseFinal as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error:

"317"

Happened while starting this command:

"C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.OpusPG_1.0.101.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\forza_x64_release_final.exe" -ServerName:OpusReleaseFinal.AppXhz3m1thxb88yczd2ax0k426vzefwnnmc.mca

What should I do?

CrisiLB, May 17, 2016
  4. timmer3 Win User

timmer3, Jun 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Metro games crash immediately with DCOM timeout error - with AzureAD - Similar Threads - Metro games crash

2. Persistent game crashes due to dcom error 10016

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Persistent game crashes due to dcom error 10016: Hi all, Ive been running into persistent game crashes on my new PC. Ive tried following tutorials to change dcom permissions etc, ive used DDU to wipe and reinstall graphics drivers. Ive even turned off dcom in the settings. I keep thinking the problem might be fixed but then...
  3. Persistent game crashes due to dcom error 10016

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Persistent game crashes due to dcom error 10016: Hi all, Ive been running into persistent game crashes on my new PC. Ive tried following tutorials to change dcom permissions etc, ive used DDU to wipe and reinstall graphics drivers. Ive even turned off dcom in the settings. I keep thinking the problem might be fixed but then...
  4. Games crashing on Windows 11 but not immediately

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games crashing on Windows 11 but not immediately: Hi,Recently I built a new PC with Windows 11, I have been gaming on this PC for about 3 months and I had no problems with my games crashing but as of yesterday my games have started crashing in 2 to 30 minutes of me starting up my game. I'm running Windows 11 22621.2134,...
  5. Games crashing on Windows 11 but not immediately

Games crashing on Windows 11 but not immediately: Hi,Recently I built a new PC with Windows 11, I have been gaming on this PC for about 3 months and I had no problems with my games crashing but as of yesterday my games have started crashing in 2 to 30 minutes of me starting up my game. I'm running Windows 11 22621.2134,...
  6. Several games crashing immediately on launch.

Several games crashing immediately on launch.: 1. I downloaded the Minecraft Launcher from the Microsoft Store onto my new PC, however whenever I open it, I can see the launcher update popup for a split second, and then it instantly crashes.2. I have the same issue with Fortnite, Valorant, and Krunker Client. They all...
  7. Several games crashing immediately on launch.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Several games crashing immediately on launch.: 1. I downloaded the Minecraft Launcher from the Microsoft Store onto my new PC, however whenever I open it, I can see the launcher update popup for a split second, and then it instantly crashes.2. I have the same issue with Fortnite, Valorant, and Krunker Client. They all...
  8. Games crashing on Windows 11 but not immediately

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games crashing on Windows 11 but not immediately: Hi,Recently upgraded my PC to windows 11 as I got an i7-12700k Along with a new Z690 motherboard and 2x16GB DDR4. Did a clean reinstall after upgrading and fully wiped the C: drive in the process, when using the PC for non-gaming stuff it appears to be happy. No BSODs, no...
  9. Games crashing on Windows 11 but not immediately

Games crashing on Windows 11 but not immediately: Hi,Recently upgraded my PC to windows 11 as I got an i7-12700k Along with a new Z690 motherboard and 2x16GB DDR4. Did a clean reinstall after upgrading and fully wiped the C: drive in the process, when using the PC for non-gaming stuff it appears to be happy. No BSODs, no...
  10. State of decay is crashing cause it did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    State of decay is crashing cause it did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.: So I recently installed SOD2 and now it's not even launching. When I tried to see in event viewer it says it didnot connect to DCOM. Can anyone help?...