Windows 10: Microphone is apparently blocked from being used?

Discus and support Microphone is apparently blocked from being used? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently, I have been having issues where i'd launch Discord, Steam or any service which uses the mic and none of them have been receiving anything.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by joegti, Aug 6, 2018.

1. joegti Win User

Microphone is apparently blocked from being used?

Recently, I have been having issues where i'd launch Discord, Steam or any service which uses the mic and none of them have been receiving anything. I've checked that the correct microphone is being used in the settings (it comes up as USB PnP sound device) and I have tried it with USB microphones and a Microphone which goes into the actual microphone jack. Feel free to ask any questions for more info.

:)

joegti, Aug 6, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

Built in microphone not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

• Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

• Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

And also update the audio drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Aug 6, 2018
  3. Unable to use microphones

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the recording. I will be glad to assist you with this issue.

This might be due to some incorrect audio settings or it might be due to the outdated audio HD drivers. Let’s try the following methods and check if that resolves the issue.

Method 1: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled and is set as default.

Step 1:

Make sure that the microphone that you are using is not disabled and is set as default in the computer. Follow these steps to check this:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.
    • Now, right click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.
    • Select “Microphone” and click on “Properties” and make sure that the microphone is enabled.
    • You may also check if the microphone that you are using is set as default.
    Step 2: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

a) Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

b) Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

c) Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

d) Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

e) Click Apply and OK.

Now, check the issue. If it is already enabled, then try the next method and check the issue.

Method 2: Run Recording Audio Troubleshooter

This troubleshooter is an automated Windows 8 inbuilt tool which finds and fixes the common issues with the recording audio devices and its settings. Perform these steps to run this tool and check if that helps.

• Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.
    • In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.
    • Click on “Recording Audio”.
    • Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.
    If this does not help, then let’s try updating the sound card drivers and check if that resolves the issue.

Method 3: Update the Sound Card Drivers.

Step 1: Check the Windows updates for any latest driver updates.

Check in Windows updates if any driver updates are available. If so, install the same and check if it helps.

Step 2: Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website:

Go to the computer or sound card manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 8 audio drivers available for the sound card model and then install it by following the instructions given in the website.

I hope the above suggestion helps. If you need further assistance, get back to us and we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Aug 6, 2018
  4. Riel Alc Win User

Microphone issues

Hi Michael,

Here are the possible reasons why you're getting an error "The microphone did not pick anything up" when using it:

• Incorrect settings (microphone is not set as default device)
    • Corrupted or outdated driver
    • Faulty device

For us to isolate the issue, we'd like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made to your computer prior to this issue(e.g. Windows updates)?
    • Have you tried connecting other microphone to your computer?
    • Have you tried connecting the microphone to the other computer?

In the meantime, we suggest running the Recording Audio Troubleshooter to find and repair problems with recording sound. We also suggest checking if your microphone is set as your default recording device. For troubleshooting steps, please see
    Geethu B's on this
    link.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Aug 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Microphone is apparently blocked from being used? - Similar Threads - Microphone apparently blocked

2. Persistent Microphone Issue Regardless of Microphone Being Used

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Persistent Microphone Issue Regardless of Microphone Being Used: Hello,I have a ASUS laptop running Windows 10. Within the past week it has started giving me audio issues. My microphone simply doesn't work. It won't register any sound whatsoever. When I run the troubleshooter it plays a test tone and decides that "my audio device is muted"...
  3. Persistent Microphone Issue Regardless of Microphone Being Used

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Persistent Microphone Issue Regardless of Microphone Being Used: Hello,I have a ASUS laptop running Windows 10. Within the past week it has started giving me audio issues. My microphone simply doesn't work. It won't register any sound whatsoever. When I run the troubleshooter it plays a test tone and decides that "my audio device is muted"...
  4. Persistent Microphone Issue Regardless of Microphone Being Used

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. My microphone headset & laptop microphone are both being blocked?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My microphone headset & laptop microphone are both being blocked?: I have been trying to fix both problems in the privacy settings for the microphone to do recordings on the game tab capture system on here, but it kept saying that it's being blocked please get back to me if you find a better solution or fixing the stupid error which my mic...
  6. Headphones microphone is not being used.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Headphones microphone is not being used.: I had selected for my computer to "not ask again" by accident to not use the microphone and I want for my computer to have the option of using the headphones microphone. I don't see it pop up when I plug it in anymore and I have looked up various ways to undo this but only to...
  7. Microphone on headset not being used on PC while webcam microphone is being used instead.

Microphone on headset not being used on PC while webcam microphone is being used instead.: I can plug in my headset in and out now fine, but the microphone is not working. If I plug in the headset into another device, the headset works perfectly fine. When plugging in my PC, the headphones on the headset work, but the microphone is not being used. Instead, the...
  8. My game is being blocked from using graphics hardware

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My game is being blocked from using graphics hardware: The computer is a hp and powered by intel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-game-is-being-blocked-from-using-graphics/c3f75ef3-604f-45fa-ba4b-470c9d177e26
  9. Programs being blocked from using graphics hardware

Programs being blocked from using graphics hardware: My pc keeps giving notification for "Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware." Along with terrible artififacting that makes the computer unusable without disabling the gpu. For almost everything I try to launch I get the notification. I even get some...
  10. Microphone is apparently blocked from being used?

Microphone is apparently blocked from being used?: Recently, I have been having issues where i'd launch Discord, Steam or any service which uses the mic and none of them have been receiving anything. I've checked that the correct microphone is being used in the settings (it comes up as USB PnP sound device) and I have tried...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why is the microphone blocked on kids a - z