Windows 10: Microsoft Account - Any disadvantage to using my non-MS Email address?

Discus and support Microsoft Account - Any disadvantage to using my non-MS Email address? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I searched for this but surprisingly could not find the answer anywhere, probably because the search terms end up being too broad... I'm setting up... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Carnivore, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Carnivore Win User

Microsoft Account - Any disadvantage to using my non-MS Email address?

I searched for this but surprisingly could not find the answer anywhere, probably because the search terms end up being too broad...

I'm setting up a new Win10 machine for a friend who wants/needs to create a new Microsoft account. Is there any benefit in creating a new Microsoft (Outlook.com) E-mail address for this purpose, versus using his existing, non-Microsoft Email address from Gmail or Yahoo?

Thanks.

:)

Carnivore, Oct 15, 2015
  2. dmkkg Win User

Logging into a Windows 10 computer on local network

A computer on my local network is signed in using a Microsoft account and the username is Mike. When I try to connect to that machine I am asked to enter username and password but it won't accept Mike as the username. Is it always necessary to use the
    Microsoft account email address to sign in?

If this is the case, can I convert this to a local account and go back to how I used to connect to this machine? Are there any disadvantages in not using a Microsoft account?

dmkkg, Oct 15, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Sign-in with Old email

The problem is my administrator sign-in for Win 10 only works with an old, no-longer-active email address. When I attempt to sign-in to Win 10 with my current, active MS account email, it rejects my password, even though I know it has been entered correctly.
    Strangely, once I sign in to Win 10 with the old email, I can then log into my MS account with the current email and password.

I also have a local Win 10 sign-in account (non-administrator).

Ideally I would like the Win 10 administrator account to be my local account, with a non-administrator account using my current, active MS email.

How I can delete the old administrator account and change it to my local account?

Gandalf of the CT, Oct 15, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

The only difference compared to a "real" MS email (outlook.com, live.com, hotmail.com, msn.com) is that although an MS account set up with a third party email can send mail, it cannot receive any. This means that for instance the Windows Mail app if used needs the same email set up twice; the automatic setup is done as that email address as an MS account, this account cannot receive but can send, and then it needs to be set up once more as a Gmail (Yahoo, whatever) account in order to be able to use the Mail app to get the mail.

The same online; signing in to Outlook.com the user can send mail but not receive. Checking incoming mail and such needs also in the future to be done in Google.com, Yahoo.com and so on.

That's the only difference. All other services, OneDrive and so on work as if it was an Outlook.com email address.

Thema:

1. Microsoft Account - Any disadvantage to using my non-MS Email address? - Similar Threads - Microsoft Account disadvantage

2. Problems with Microsoft Account non-existent email address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with Microsoft Account non-existent email address: Approximately one year ago, after downloading the usual Microsoft updates, my system crashed. After a reboot and reverting to an earlier system restore point, everything seemed fine. However, a month or so after that I noticed that my Microsoft account had reverted to an old...
  3. Problems with Microsoft Account non-existent email address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with Microsoft Account non-existent email address: Approximately one year ago, after downloading the usual Microsoft updates, my system crashed. After a reboot and reverting to an earlier system restore point, everything seemed fine. However, a month or so after that I noticed that my Microsoft account had reverted to an old...
  4. Problems with Microsoft Account non-existent email address

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Is it possible to change the email address for my Microsoft Account to a new email address?

Is it possible to change the email address for my Microsoft Account to a new email address?: My mother 83 years created an old Microsoft email address @live.com when she first started using the Microsoft IM. She has used it as the email address for her Microsoft account ever since it was required, but she never used it for personal email or read any email that was...
  6. Change the email address on my Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change the email address on my Microsoft Account: I added a new 2nd account on my Microsoft Account under the 2nd category: Email & Accounts, to try to change my email address so it would be correct. I spent most of the afternoon yesterday trying to do this my myself, but the instructions in Support Microsoft just kept going...
  7. Change the email address on my Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change the email address on my Microsoft Account: I added a new 2nd account on my Microsoft Account under the 2nd category: Email & Accounts, to try to change my email address so it would be correct. I spent most of the afternoon yesterday trying to do this my myself, but the instructions in Support Microsoft just kept going...
  8. Change the email address on my Microsoft Account

9. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a local account or Microsoft account for...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a local account or Microsoft account for...: I am using a Microsoft account for Windows it is giving me some problems such as Windows accounts automatically appear on Skype appI frequently use Skype and care about privacy, both Skype Windows app and Skype Desktop app and they can't be removed. I heard to some degree...
  10. Microsoft account email address

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft account email address: Hi,The microsoft account email address that my pc uses for windows 10, has an incorrect email address, and I cannot remember the password to this account.The problem is, I am trying to change this account the correct one. So I have added the correct email address as an...