Windows 10: Microsoft account security confirmation - is this a scam?

Discus and support Microsoft account security confirmation - is this a scam? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My friend just got 2 e-mails purporting to be from Microsoft Account Team. The first one says her Microsoft account has been renamed. The renaming... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by SaggyMaggyPoo, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Microsoft account security confirmation - is this a scam?

My friend just got 2 e-mails purporting to be from Microsoft Account Team.

The first one says her Microsoft account has been renamed. The renaming takes her current gmail address and changes 1 character in it.

The email then says:

If this is correct, you don't need to do anything.

If this is incorrect, please follow these steps:
    1. Reset your password by going to Reset your password
    2. Rename your account by going to https://account.live.com/

Thanks,
    The Microsoft account team

The second email is titled Verify Your Email Address.

There is a link to verify her current (i.e. UNchanged gmail address) and she is told she may be asked to enter a security code. There is also a link to click if she didn't make the request to verify the account.

She DOES NOT have a Microsoft account to her knowledge.

Has anyone else encountered this, which is presumably a scam?

:)

SaggyMaggyPoo, Sep 9, 2017

2. What is this Microsoft account number that is being ask? Where do I get it? Thank you. It appears when I try to reset the password. It is under the special domain.

Hi Julio,

If you are referring to a verification code that is being sent to your email, it is a confirmation if your request was really sent by you or the owner of the
    Microsoft account.

For security purposes, we are sending a security code like this to your alternate email address or phone number before you can proceed to make changes to your log –in credentials. Once you receive a request from us, you need to respond back so we will be
    able to provide our services.

Visit this link:
    Security info & security codes
    for more information about our Microsoft account verification process.

Let us know if you need more help.

Johann Eva, Sep 9, 2017
  3. What is this Microsoft account number that is being ask? Where do I get it? Thank you. It appears when I try to reset the password. It is under the special domain.

What is this Microsoft account number that is being ask? Where do I get it? Thank you. It appears when I try to reset the password. It is under the special domain.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup]

JulioVillacres, Sep 9, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

Microsoft account security confirmation - is this a scam?

This sounds to me to be someone trying to take over her MS account. It appears she indeed does have one. Perhaps she created it long ago and forgot about it? If the links you posted are copied from the email, when I hover my mouse over them, I can see they are legitimate links. With the breach of Equifax, I expect we will see a lot of this now, as it revealed a tremendous amount of confidential information. I would recover the MS account and change the password, and keep an eye on it.

Just make sure the links you are clicking on are legitimate!

simrick, Sep 10, 2017
  5. yu gnomi Win User
    yu gnomi, Sep 10, 2017
  6. Thank you for your replies, @simrick and @yu gnomi. I will pass these on to my friend. Also advised her to change her gmail password as she's not in the habit of doing this.

SaggyMaggyPoo, Sep 10, 2017
  7. simrick Win User
    Cheers! *Thumbs

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft account security confirmation - is this a scam?

1. Microsoft account security confirmation - is this a scam? - Similar Threads - Microsoft account security

2. I need to confirm I'm not being scammed by Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need to confirm I'm not being scammed by Microsoft?: Oct 19th my computer froze up. A banner page said to call Microsoft support. I called and talked to a Steven Rogers. Emp. ID: MS000213, Case ID: GD00123. After 1 1/2 hours, he informed me my accounts have been hacked. He ran a, Ultra Viewer 6.6 scan. ID: 39 444 206, Password:...
  3. I need to confirm I'm not being scammed by Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to confirm I'm not being scammed by Microsoft?: Oct 19th my computer froze up. A banner page said to call Microsoft support. I called and talked to a Steven Rogers. Emp. ID: MS000213, Case ID: GD00123. After 1 1/2 hours, he informed me my accounts have been hacked. He ran a, Ultra Viewer 6.6 scan. ID: 39 444 206, Password:...
  4. I need to confirm I'm not being scammed by Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Microsoft Security Scam==

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Security Scam==: Selected window on My MSN, Scam appeared immediately . Turned off computer, signed on, ran Norton Update and Full System Scan. Everything appears intact, no loss of data. Norton reported no problems....
  6. "confirm your current password" scam?

"confirm your current password" scam?: Hello, I continue to have this pop-up preventing me from accessing my email the first pop-up said in all lowercase "don't lose access to your account!". It seems unprofessional to be all lowercase, so I feel like I have a virus/malware I scanned with Windows Defender... it...
  7. Microsoft account security scam?

Microsoft account security scam?: Today 6/1/20 at 11:58 am I received the follwing email in my gmail inbix not soam: New Account Login Dear Account Holder, We Noticed an sign-in attempt in your account from an unrecognized device in Eastern Russia at 4:27 AM GMT. For your account security we have disabled...
  8. microsoft security for scam

microsoft security for scam: Is PCFix247 a co. that Microsoft uses for fixing hacking problem or was I scammed and can I stop the credit card chg. Lucy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/microsoft-security-for-scam/99ee2459-ee70-414a-a966-e06f98aa6798
  9. Microsoft Security Scam?

Microsoft Security Scam?: Received msg last week on computer: "From Microsoft Security: unless you call this 800, computer will be shut down. I didn't call, but computer was shut down and is still shut down" Is this legitimate? What should I do?...
  10. Microsoft Security Scam

Microsoft Security Scam: This annoying pop-up happens twice a day and freezes my computer. Doesn't Windows Defender prevent this? I reset my settings to default and that did not help....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft account security info scam

2. Security info confirmation scam