Windows 10: Microsoft Ad Choices

Discus and support Microsoft Ad Choices in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Can someone please tell me how to disable (totally) Microsoft Ad Choices in Windows 10? Thanx! 31509 Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by orlandotek, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Microsoft Ad Choices

Can someone please tell me how to disable (totally) Microsoft Ad Choices in Windows 10?

Thanx!

:)

orlandotek, Nov 24, 2015

2. ad choices

Remove Adware & PUPs with these tools. You might not need all of them. Check for updates first and then scan with each one at a time until your machine is clean.

AdwCleaner (Free)

Download AdwCleaner

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Malwarebytes for Windows

Free trial reverts to manual scanner after 14 days.

Malwarebytes for Windows premium 14-day Free Trial

Zemana AntiMalware (Free)

Download Zemana AntiMalware

Junkware Removal Tool (Free)

Download Junkware Removal Tool

HitmanPro (30 day free trial if needed)

HitmanPro.Alert Ransomware Prevention, Secondary Scanner and Zero-Day Exploit Protection | hitmanpro.com

If necessary, reset your browsers. For IE:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/reset-internet-explorer-settings

For Chrome:

Reset Chrome settings to default - Google Chrome Help

Bruce Hagen, Nov 24, 2015
  3. shopensky Win User
    ad choices

ad choice is driving how can I stop this headache permantly?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

shopensky, Nov 24, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Microsoft Ad Choices

Brink, Nov 25, 2015
  5. Hey, Brink.

Yeah, I found that but no mention on how to turn them off. Just how to turn off ad tailoring.

A website I go to quite often ONLY in Windows 10 (on several machines) is virtually unusable to me because
    of the Ad Choices popping up.

I thought it was spyware and ran a few cleaners and no hits. So, further research led me to conclude it was
    Microsoft's Ad Choices and not considered spyware.

To me that sucks big time. It turns Windows 10 from something they say is FREE (I upgraded these
    machines from Windows 8.1) to something that can more accurately described as ADWARE.
    Not the same thing.

I guess the website will go on being nearly unusuable to me under Windows 10 because I can't seem to find a way to disable ALL THE ANNOYING POP UPS.

orlandotek, Nov 25, 2015
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Have you tried this yet ?

Click or tap the Start button.
    2. Click or tap Settings.
    3. Click or tap Privacy, and then turn off Let apps use my advertising ID for experiences across apps.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 25, 2015
  7. I will give that a shot in the morning but I am pretty sure that again that is related to Ad Tailoring...
    not a way to disable it all together.

That's one way to be sure your spyware isn't flagged as such. Burn it into the operating system. Only Microsoft.

I'm probably gonna have to revert one of my PC's back to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 just to be able to use that website again.

orlandotek, Nov 25, 2015
  8. fdegrove Win User

Microsoft Ad Choices

Hi,

That's correct.
    We're all suffering from the same problem so we'll have to dig into settings to find out what can be shut down and what can't.
    Digging into all the privacy settings and shutting down all kinds of things has helped me but then I use my PC only as a desktop and don't need MS to sync with other devices, etc., etc.
    And sure, you could get Outlooks (internet version) without the annoying ads on the R-side but of course , you'll have to pay for that too.........*Mad

Didn't they say Win10 was a "service"......*sarc

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 25, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I'm still using IE and Firefox browsers -- no problem

However here's probably the BEST way

log on to the TOR network using the TOR browser (Firefix variant -- it's OK).

then on the settings disable ALL scripts

now you can run 100% totally in peace. (You can also connect to places that ISP's block etc).

Perfectly 100% LEGAL to use TOR network.

Download Tor

screenshot shown with settings scripts disabled.

Microsoft Ad Choices [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 25, 2015
  10. Tony K Win User
    @orlandotek and others

Hello, orlandotek.

This may help in addition. If signing into a device via an MS account marketing and advertising can be manage within your account online. Sign into your account and choose the “Security & privacy” tab. You can then further refine via the links in the Marketing and/or Advertising columns.

Tony K, Nov 25, 2015
  11. No, that did not help at all. If you read all of the posts here someone already suggested this.

This does NOT disable Ad Choices. I don't want them. They are annoying on most websites but on
    one particular site that I use quite often the ads pop out of the left side of screen scooting the entire
    page to the right. I cannot work on what I need to work on so I have to stop, close the idiot ad, then
    wait for the website to go back to normal. On the next record I go through the same routine again.
    It doubles the time I spend on the site compared to a Windows 7 or Windows 8 PC that does not have
    this problem.

Again, I classify Windows 10 as Adware. It is not FREE.

orlandotek, Nov 25, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Have you considered that it was advertising put there by that site, and no relation to Windows 10?

Brink, Nov 25, 2015
  13. Microsoft Ad Choices

Have you got an example of a site that does this

I know the apps have ads in them but not seen Windows 10 put ads on a website

paulsalter, Nov 25, 2015
  14. Tony K Win User
    Ok. I stated that it may help if you read back.

With the info in this post it seems your problem is not 10, but the site itself and may be that the site you're using has started a different ad campaign. It may also be your browser's cookie settings. I use Edge with 3rd party cookies blocked as seen below in my first snip. I link to a lot of sites here just from this forum alone let alone other surfing. I make it a rule that if a page takes to long to load because of ads it's either Alt/Back arrow or Ctrl/W keys for me.

There's a link in Brinks first post that leads to here to the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) site, which is here: Opt Out From Online Behavioral Advertising By Participating Companies (BETA)

There's a lot of info and a tool there to opt out of certain companies nearest I can tell. I pushed "Continue anyway" to get the second page results. This may or may not help you.

Tony K, Nov 25, 2015
  15. Yeah, I thought at first it was a new ad campaign until I went back to a Windows 7 PC and then
    a Windows 8 and realized there were no ads.

picresize.com is the site.

Under Windows 7 or Windows 8 there are no ads.

Only under Windows 10.

I have reads many many websites on how to delete "Ad Choices" and according to everything I have read and downloaded to try to clean it or find it, Ad Choices is NOT installed on my computer. Then, I found a posting suggesting it was Microsoft's Ad Choices. This is why I cannot clean it off.

If it were ads from the website, they would be there no matter what what OS I was on. Wouldn't you agree?

orlandotek, Nov 26, 2015
Thema:

Microsoft Ad Choices

1. Microsoft Ad Choices - Similar Threads - Microsoft Choices

2. Why does Microsoft deny me the choice of what updates to install, then pushes an update...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Microsoft deny me the choice of what updates to install, then pushes an update...: The latest and 1st update of 2024 for Microsoft Windows 10 64 bit is broken. It is difficult to download, and IF it downloads, it won't load. While I don't have technical details, I can tell you that since this aberration was pushed on consumers five days ago, I now...
  3. Why does Microsoft deny me the choice of what updates to install, then pushes an update...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Microsoft deny me the choice of what updates to install, then pushes an update...: The latest and 1st update of 2024 for Microsoft Windows 10 64 bit is broken. It is difficult to download, and IF it downloads, it won't load. While I don't have technical details, I can tell you that since this aberration was pushed on consumers five days ago, I now...
  4. Why does Microsoft deny me the choice of what updates to install, then pushes an update...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. how to fix Microsoft's Horrible choices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to fix Microsoft's Horrible choices: idk if this has happened to everyone but when i go to edit a clip in movies and tv now i have to use clip champ, one of the most slowest editing programs madebut in reality it wouldn't be that if i didn't have to manually choose what file type to save it as so i have to re...
  6. how to fix Microsoft's Horrible choices

how to fix Microsoft's Horrible choices: idk if this has happened to everyone but when i go to edit a clip in movies and tv now i have to use clip champ, one of the most slowest editing programs madebut in reality it wouldn't be that if i didn't have to manually choose what file type to save it as so i have to re...
  7. Why has Microsoft left me and many others in a position of no choices as I can't afford to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why has Microsoft left me and many others in a position of no choices as I can't afford to...: Why has Microsoft Windows left me and many others in a position of no choices as I can't afford to buy a new PC and I can't afford to buy a new version of Windows due to the very high cost of living in the UK? I'm disabled and use my Laptop every day but I am now very...
  8. Why has Microsoft left me and many others in a position of no choices as I can't afford to...

Why has Microsoft left me and many others in a position of no choices as I can't afford to...: Why has Microsoft Windows left me and many others in a position of no choices as I can't afford to buy a new PC and I can't afford to buy a new version of Windows due to the very high cost of living in the UK? I'm disabled and use my Laptop every day but I am now very...
  9. Microsoft update catalog website language choice unavaillable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft update catalog website language choice unavaillable: Note: my question is specific to "Microsoft Update Catalog Website". No link is offered to change the website language. I have searched for this on Home screen and the next screen after a search. O/S: Windows 10 Pro French, up-to-date....
  10. New Microsoft Edge Browser WU - no choice?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New Microsoft Edge Browser WU - no choice?: Today on 2 PCs there was an Update to install the new MS Edge browser. Both systems on metered connection settings (soft setting - not registry edit), it downloaded and installed in the background - no warning. Installed successfully on one PC, unsuccessful on the laptop. No...