Windows 10: Microsoft and Malwarebytes Boost PUP Detection

Discus and support Microsoft and Malwarebytes Boost PUP Detection in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Source: Microsoft and Malwarebytes Boost PUP Detection The term Potentially Unwanted Programs, or PUPs, is often used to describe software installed... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by RubberDucky, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Microsoft and Malwarebytes Boost PUP Detection

Source: Microsoft and Malwarebytes Boost PUP Detection

The term Potentially Unwanted Programs, or PUPs, is often used to describe software installed on somebody's computer without the owner's specific and direct approval.

Many legally-registered software development companies engage in "bundling," mainly because they earn a nice profit by packaging another company's software (PUPs) with their legitimate apps.

Detecting software as PUP comes with a financial and legal cost
    For years, antivirus vendors have fought to blacklist PUPs, marking specific software as dangerous inside their security products. The makers of those programs didn't sit idly, and for years, have sued antivirus vendors whenever their software received the label of "PUP" or "adware" in AV products.

Nevertheless, security firms fought back in all lawsuits and continued to mark PUP software as dangerous, despite the rising costs of mounting a legal defense against these scumbag developers.

Because of their work, PUP makers, who are often very large software development firms themselves, have continually evolved their products, adding new evasion tricks and pioneered new distribution methods.

These new techniques have allowed older PUPs to pass undetected, or have helped PUP makers create newer and more advanced threats.

:)

RubberDucky, Oct 11, 2016

2. windows defender not detecting malware

Windows defender did not and has not detected one thing since I have had windows 10..I downloaded malwarebytes just to see if it would detect anything...20 items!!! They were all PUP but still???? DO I NEED TO download something with defenders and is
    there anything free..malwarebytes is a 2 week free trial..UGH

Why is Windows defender not detecting these PUPs..they are different ones. Is It unusual for windows defender NOT to detect anything at ALL???

Thank you,

Ginny H.

*Email/PII Removed*

ginnyhoward1, Oct 11, 2016
  3. AlyMdr Win User
    How to stop pop up windows in windows 10 pro

I have run Malwarebytes and it detects this malware and removed it, so this pup is not appearing again so far, Malwarebytes has detected a number of malwares so it was difficult to find which file was causing the problem, the question why Windows defender
    did not detects and removes this PUP file.

Thank you very much for your help and support for community members.

Shall I post new question about the affect of Windows repair program causing the connect automatically to Wi-Fi not working?

AlyMdr, Oct 11, 2016
  4. dencal Win User

Microsoft and Malwarebytes Boost PUP Detection

Very interesting....thanks for posting.

dencal, Oct 12, 2016
Thema:

Microsoft and Malwarebytes Boost PUP Detection

1. Microsoft and Malwarebytes Boost PUP Detection - Similar Threads - Microsoft Malwarebytes Boost

2. Microsoft Defender should detected PUP fake totalav

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender should detected PUP fake totalav: https://youtu.be/PcS3EozgyhI?t=467 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-defender-should-detected-pup-fake/9b17d021-f60d-4414-9c0b-3867e7bc56d9
  3. Microsoft Defender should detected PUP fake totalav

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Defender should detected PUP fake totalav: https://youtu.be/PcS3EozgyhI?t=467 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-defender-should-detected-pup-fake/9b17d021-f60d-4414-9c0b-3867e7bc56d9
  4. Malwarebytes not detected by Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Malwarebytes not detected by Windows Defender: I have Malwarebytes installed but windows defender doesn't detect it and go into Periodic Scanning like it always has done, It just stays like it normally is, Like Above Current Threats its Suppose to List Malwarebytes but its just blank, With Malwarebytes I have the Windows...
  5. Malwarebytes not detected by Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Malwarebytes not detected by Windows Defender: I have Malwarebytes installed but windows defender doesn't detect it and go into Periodic Scanning like it always has done, It just stays like it normally is, Like Above Current Threats its Suppose to List Malwarebytes but its just blank, With Malwarebytes I have the Windows...
  6. Malwarebytes not detected by Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. PUP malware detected - is it legit?

PUP malware detected - is it legit?: Hi. I purchased a refurbished computer with Windows 10 Pro, Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 installed. My anti-malware program keeps finding these two 'threats', which Google tells me are Windows related. Anyone know if they are legit and can be safely ignored, or should they...
  8. Malwarebytes detects a lot of issues

Malwarebytes detects a lot of issues: I have just did a complete scan with MalwareByte and found 365 issues, has anyone had issues with this? [Original Title: Security] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/malwarebytes-detects-a-lot-of-issues/889ba9cb-f4f9-4457-a7bb-6b6da868678f
  9. PUP Threats Detected By Malwarebytes

PUP Threats Detected By Malwarebytes: Is anyone getting the pup.price.ninja threats? I get the same 4 pup threats every time Malwarebytes scans. I also noticed that I get advertisement popups while running Chrome that I don't get running Firefox. I have popups turned off but these popups continue regardless what...
  10. Malwarebytes PUP scanning lists legitimate programs as threats

Malwarebytes PUP scanning lists legitimate programs as threats: I have been using Malwarebytes version 3 for some until it some of my legitimate programs as Threats ie Advanced System Care 10,Freemake Video Converter,Freesmith Video Player.I had to manually uncheck loads of files that i wanted to keep and add folders to exclusions...but...