Windows 10: Microsoft announces Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Discus and support Microsoft announces Windows 10 Pro for Workstations in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro for Workstations is a high-end edition of Windows 10 Pro, comes with unique support for server grade PC hardware and is designed to meet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Microsoft announces Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Source: Microsoft announces Windows 10 Pro for Workstations - Windows For Your Business

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) date

:)

Brink, Aug 10, 2017

2. Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro Workstation?

I would say you most likely don't need (or could even really benefit at all from) the workstation edition. Workstations one is for super heavy workloads. Microsoft describes it like this in their announcement about it.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations is a high-end edition of Windows 10 Pro, comes with unique support for server-grade PC hardware and is designed to meet demanding needs of mission critical and compute
    intensive workloads.

blogs.windows.com/business/2017/08/10/microsoft-announces-windows-10-pro-workstations/

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Aug 10, 2017
  3. Your data needs ReFS! Vote now.

Now Microsoft has instead announced that creation of ReFS will be removed from Windows 10 Home and Pro and available only on Windows 10 Pro for Workstations and Windows 10 Enterprise.

Windows 10 Fall Creators update to remove ReFS creation ability

Resilient File System (ReFS)

Creation ability will be available in the following editions only: Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Pro for Workstations.

Creation ability will be removed from all other editions. All other editions will have Read and Write ability.

(added: August 17, 2017)

Don Cuthbert, Aug 10, 2017
  4. OilerNut Win User

Basically making some Server features available in a Desktop OS. I imagine the price will be quite high, but if you are running a computer with 4 CPUs, it's probably not much of a concern.

OilerNut, Aug 10, 2017
  5. Yet another version of W10.
    So much for "one version of Windows everywhere".

If you throw in the special versions (K, N, ?) the count must be up to 20+ by now.

From AskWoody:
    And people complain about how many Linux Distros there are.

lehnerus2000, Aug 11, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Most people don't complain about the number of Linux Distros. About 99% of the non enterprise lot use essentially CENTOS, SUSE, FEDORA (also a Red hat clone like centos which has some leading edge technology that doesn't always work), DEBIAN or MINT. Fedora is probably used by developers who want the "Latest and Greatest" == some of those things make it eventually into the CENTOS repositories -- but the whole concept of CENTOS like RHEL is to keep the OS stable and only update when needed.

All these are very user customizable -- however for stability CENTOS - free open source based on RHEL enterprise and supported by REDHAT and 100% FREE (based on RED HAT SERVER - used hugely throughout the world for servers) is mega stable and with a company like REDHAT behind it will be certainly OK to run on your desktop.

CentOS Linux 7 (1708); based on RHEL 7.4 Source Code Seven.CentOS.org

I use CENTOS on my NAS servers rather than B/S things like proprietary QNAP type of systems. -For starters you can install whatever you like on your NAS and it will work 100% of the time --REDHAT doesn't release rubbish.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 11, 2017
  7. I'll have a look see when it shows up on MSDN. Still waiting for Pro Education to show up.

alphanumeric, Aug 11, 2017
  8. Microsoft announces Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Linux users don't complain about the number of distros.

In the comments on multiple forums , Windows fanboys (and trolls in general) regularly mention "too many distros" as a reason for not switching from Windows to Linux (in addition to "using the terminal" and "Windows only software" excuses).

lehnerus2000, Aug 12, 2017
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks.

actually this is a GOOD idea -- lots of high end computer hardware out there -- where a server like OS is ideal for some home users who are considering some sort of basic server set up at home --e.g multi-media streaming, file backup, file sharing, Internet gateway for internet control where you have some kids etc etc. Running a full blown commercial server edition isn't the answer here but a decent "Server" like OS would fit the bill -- I think there will be quite a few takers.

Good thing with this is that you can control USB device usage etc and the file system is so much better than NTFS which while good in its day is definitely passed it's sell by date -- the new system should finally give Windows software RAID proper speed and stability.

The direct SMB facility also should finally get rid of slow file shares with Windows too -- great for corporate servers as well. Not sure though ig a DESKTOP would really be concerned with max Memory size of 6TB though -- don't think I've even seen any 1TB memory chips -- but in a server this would be great for "In memory" type data bases -- I believe SAP HANA is going along that sort of "In Memory" type of approach.

I can see also a load of Enterprise users (corporations etc) who are still using W7 having a look at this too -- so a good move for Ms.

Myself though I won't probably use it as I'm happy with Linux for my NAS needs but I will certainly try it out as a VM if I can get my hands on a copy - even as a trial.

Hope also that finally the rediculous 256 Char limit on file+directory name limit is gone in the new file system too -- although I haven't seen that mentioned in the specs so far.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 12, 2017
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    Looking at a recent Product.ini that arrived with one of the Windows 10 S editions, there are 115 editions of Windows 10:

Code: professionalworkstationn enterpriseneval serverazurecor serverrdshCore serverstorageworkgroupeval serverstandardeval serverarm64 serverdatacenterevalcorCore educationn serverdatacentereval embedded serverazurecorCore enterpriseseval serverdatacenterCore coresinglelanguage professionalcountryspecific core coresystemserver serverdatacenterevalcor serverhypercore analogonecore embeddedeeval serverstandardcor serverarm64Core embeddede serverdatacentercorCore serverazurenano coren starter professional professionaln serverstandardevalcor enterprise education serverwebCore enterpriseeval embeddedeval enterprisegn enterpriseg serverweb serverrdsh serverdatacenternanoCore serverstandard serversolution serverdatacenteracorCore cloudn serverstoragestandardCore enterprisesn serverdatacenternano servercloudstorageCore cloud ppipro serverstandardacorCore serverstandardnano professionaleducation serverstandardevalCore serverstorageworkgroupCore serversolutionCore serverstoragestandardeval professionaleducationn professionalworkstation serverstoragestandardevalCore enterprises startern serverstandardevalcorCore serverstorageworkgroup serverdatacenteracor servercloudstorage mobilecore serverazurenanoCore serverstorageworkgroupevalCore serverstoragestandard serverdatacenter serverdatacenterevalCore corecountryspecific serverstandardacor serverstandardcorCore enterprisen enterprisesneval iotuap serverstandardnanoCore professionalsinglelanguage serverdatacentercor serverstandardCore gvlkcoresinglelanguage gvlkcore gvlkprofessionalworkstationn gvlkserverazurecor gvlkserverrdshCore gvlkenterprisesn gvlkservercloudstorageCore gvlkprofessionaleducation gvlkcoren gvlkprofessional gvlkprofessionaln gvlkservercloudstorage gvlkeducationn gvlkserversolutionCore gvlkeducation gvlkenterprise gvlkprofessionaleducationn gvlkprofessionalworkstation gvlkserverdatacenter gvlkenterprises gvlkcorecountryspecific gvlkenterprisegn gvlkenterprisen gvlkserverazurecorCore gvlkenterpriseg gvlkserverrdsh gvlkserverstandardCore gvlkserverstandard gvlkserversolution gvlkserverdatacenterCore [/quote] This seems to be another "Toe in the water" exercise to test the readiness of the userbase to move to a new filesystem, that's been around for a fairly long time now, without much real-world useage.

Fafhrd, Aug 12, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    Gosh this is so tiresome a response - pot calling the kettle back given Linuxians are by far worse trolls!

I have yet to see a single Linux Distro that runs the range of software I need, especially work related programs. It is not an excuse - it is a fact. There is no Linux distro that runs MS Office, and Linuxians always bullshit about alternatives but they are only any good for basic stuff. There are countless engineering apps that do not run on Linux.

No matter how good a Linux install is, you inevitably have to delve into terminal sessions to often do fairly basic things,

The Windows versions are each targeted at a specific set of persons. For most domestic users, there are only three versions (Home, Pro and Education). The N versions were necesary to comply with EU law, but you are not obliged to use it, and indeed most EU persons I know simply use the normal versions.

For domestic users, there are so many distros, and no obvious way of choosing which is better. Hell, they are not even that compatible with each other - commands that work on one do not work on another.

By and large Windows works the same across all versions but of course Home has more restrictions than Pro etc. But the base stuff is identical.

Sure Linux has its place eg server market, but as a general all purpose tool - don't make me laugh!

cereberus, Aug 12, 2017
  12. roy111 Win User
    You seem a bit blinded by anger, lets see some facts:

The fact is that there is no MS Office that support Linux

Yes there are many apps that do not support Linux, this is because of market share, the same reason is used by
    linux fanboy to state that there are no virus for linux.
    Also you can write pretty "advanced rocket science" stuff in Libreoffice, maybe you are confusing deep tool
    integration with a microsoft infracstucture with what you actually write down.
    In the end there are some alternatives, some are good, even better, some are crap.

Not my experience at all, you need it if you have to do something "nerdy".
    But let's see an actual fairly basic example, removing a program i.e. Photo APP can you do it in windows without
    delving into the command line?

Total nonsense

Well yes it is obvious.

There are use cases that let you use "Linux" let's say you need to browse, mail, write docs,
    you can surely do that; (also for programming, database, web dev, etc it's an excelent learning tool)

I think this are more simple facts.

roy111, Aug 12, 2017
  13. roy111 Win User

I would get pro workstation just for this, i see i can format in ReFS format in my win 10 pro but i can not
    install it in ReFS?

roy111, Aug 12, 2017
  14. swarfega Win User
    I thought MS were cutting down on the number of SKUs, but it seems to be increasing again.

Is there an option to use ReFS in 10 Pro now?

swarfega, Aug 12, 2017
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @swarfega

I think if you use storage spaces it *might* be possible -- but I don't actually know.

@roy111

I wouldn't buy Workstation PRO just for the file system -- but I certainly would consider it if I had a 4 core XEON type processor etc -- current Windows allows max of 2 cores only. 4 cores would significantly boost hyperthreading too -- so would be great for VM's too.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 12, 2017
Thema:

1. Microsoft announces Windows 10 Pro for Workstations - Similar Threads - Microsoft announces Pro

2. Windows 10 Pro Workstation to 11 Pro Workstation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro Workstation to 11 Pro Workstation: Hi, my current laptop has windows 10 HomeI was about to buy windows 10 pro workstation for itbut then came the question, will I be able to upgrade to windows 11 pro workstation in future if i buy it, I mean for free, or will it cost me extra? at the same time, will the key...
  3. Windows 10 Pro Workstation to 11 Pro Workstation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Pro Workstation to 11 Pro Workstation: Hi, my current laptop has windows 10 HomeI was about to buy windows 10 pro workstation for itbut then came the question, will I be able to upgrade to windows 11 pro workstation in future if i buy it, I mean for free, or will it cost me extra? at the same time, will the key...
  4. Windows 10 Pro Workstation to 11 Pro Workstation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Upgrade Windows 10 Pro for Workstation to Windows 11 Pro for Workstation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade Windows 10 Pro for Workstation to Windows 11 Pro for Workstation: I am currently using Windows 10 Pro for Workstations on my personal laptop. I have options to upgrade to Windows 11 for free, but I don't know if Windows 11 will be Windows 11 Pro for Workstations. How to confirm this? I only want to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro for...
  6. Upgrade Windows 10 Pro for Workstation to Windows 11 Pro for Workstation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade Windows 10 Pro for Workstation to Windows 11 Pro for Workstation: I am currently using Windows 10 Pro for Workstations on my personal laptop. I have options to upgrade to Windows 11 for free, but I don't know if Windows 11 will be Windows 11 Pro for Workstations. How to confirm this? I only want to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro for...
  7. Upgrade Windows 10 Pro for Workstation to Windows 11 Pro for Workstation

8. windows 10 pro for workstation

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 pro for workstation: i have the latest version of windows 10 pro for workstation and I'm trying to format a drive to refs but the option on the dropdown menu isn't there. do i have to activate the feature or is it a problem...
  9. windows 10 pro for workstation

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    windows 10 pro for workstation: why I can't buy an upgrade to windows 10 pro for workstation from Microsoft us store? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-for-workstation/7591ba08-9e79-4c85-8a32-39ab29115dbb"
  10. Windows 10 Pro for Workstation

Windows 10 Pro for Workstation: Hello how can i downdload and install Windows 10 Pro for Workstation? 92534